When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

24-700 Vintage Crown

bertieng

Any Rollie experts know if the modern 24-7030 triplock tube can accommodate the 24-700 crown? Will it sit flush to the bottom when the crown screw onto it?

Since the 7000 tube is almost impossible to be found, can this be a compromise?

Thanks.

Any Rollie experts know if the modern 24-7030 triplock tube can accommodate the 24-700 crown? Will it sit flush to the bottom when the crown screw onto it?

Since the 7000 tube is almost impossible to be found, can this be a compromise?

Thanks.

Bertie,

I don't think it will work without filing the tube down. I thought a visual reference might be of help to you. These photos are of a 24-700 crown and tube set.

301234-2121.jpg

301234-2122.jpg

Hope this helps.

Bertie,

I don't think it will work without filing the tube down. I thought a visual reference might be of help to you. These photos are of a 24-700 crown and tube set.

301244-2119.jpg

301244-2120.jpg

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Wow, where do you get such perfect codition vintage crown & tube?

Or do you considering selling?

Thanks.

where did you pick it up from and how long ago?

sadly thats not a genuine 700 tube though i daresay that if i had the choice of that or going to 703 on my vintage subs id go with that everytime.

ive never seen a gen 700 with the splines inside so this is the first give away (they werent introduced until the 702 was released) and that lip at the very top edge isnt like any on a 700 either, the threads go right to the edge.

this tube is actually very like a cut down 702. ive seen quite a few non gen rolex issue 702 tubes appearing in recent times, all being passed as new and genuine and wonder if production has moved to the 700 by using these 702 as a base.

i did think that it may have been a non RSC issue crown for general watchmakers however it wouldnt explain the splines introduction and so rule this out im afraid too

edited to add:

the modern and vintage crowns and tubes are not interchangeable. the 703 crown and tube are wider to accomodate the outer O-ring. the 703 crown will just push right over the 700 tube without touching the threads and would do the same on the 701/702 if the extension collar didnt hit the inside face first.

the 700,701 and 702 crown/tube combos all share the same thread pitch and dia. thus a 701 or 702 crown will screw onto the 700 tube but will not offer resistance to water as the inside face will not close against the face of the tube. the 700 crown will not fit onto the 701 or 702 tube because of the extension collar there to create the triplock.

for those who havent read the other thread,

700 is twinlock crown and tube, used on subs etc until 1971. no outer oring, no dots under coronet on crown

701 is first twinlock, introduced in jan 1972. three dots under coronet on crown to identify. the tube had an extension collar after the threads that pressed far inside the crown and sealed against an O-ring inside.

702 was a revision of the 701 and saw the introduction of splines inside the crown tube to aid fitting. the crown stem portion was thinner to allow it to pass through the narrower opening

703 is the modern triplock and saw the introduction of an O-ring on the tube itself to seal against water ingression. its the modern tube we all all know and see on the modern subs and SDs.

as each version was released, it became the standard service replacement used on any RSC visit and so unless owners hold back their crowns and tubes to replace after service, any serviced watch regardless of age will now show a 703 modern triplock if its been into RSC

Edited by thewightstuff

• 4 months later...

i recently bought some 702 crowns thinking they were 703's... does anyone know where i can get 702 tubes? Generic preferably. I've been searching ebay and the net and i havent found anything. Are these tubes still available?? I've been looking and all i can find are the new ones. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I would really like to use one of these 702's on my 1680 franken.

dizz

Lonnie, I remember seeing someone advertising a 24-702 tube- Helfands, I believe. Didn't look like the tube out of my gen, but if it works, what the heck. As wight says, the 702 and 703 are not compatible. Also, check Clark's- I just can't remember since I don't need one. That joker down here in Sugar Land, Tx might also have them- he just started carrying the 703 tube, as I recall. He's the one that sells all the bezel inserts on the bay.

Lonnie, I remember seeing someone advertising a 24-702 tube- Helfands, I believe. Didn't look like the tube out of my gen, but if it works, what the heck. As wight says, the 702 and 703 are not compatible. Also, check Clark's- I just can't remember since I don't need one. That joker down here in Sugar Land, Tx might also have them- he just started carrying the 703 tube, as I recall. He's the one that sells all the bezel inserts on the bay.

thanks for the fast reply!

I will try Heflands for sure... clarks doesnt have them... haha the "joker".. i know that guy, and i'll check him also :)

thanks again