When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The 42.5mm Planet Ocean

txrob779

I've read a lot about the UPO, does anyone own a 42.5? I bought one from a recomended dealer now I am thinking I should nhave gotten the UPO instead. Here are some pics of the newest strap. the concept was dead on but my choice in strap lacks experiance. Where is Clive when I need him. The strap is too thin, real thin and waify. I should have looked closer at the thickness, not width of this strap. I will most likey drop the coin for a beefy Shark strap and a deployment clasp vs. the flip. Anyway here she is. Comments welcome,

Peace

301662-1903.jpg

301662-1904.jpg

301662-1905.jpg

301662-1906.jpg

Edited by txrob779

I haven't recieved it yet. I think I will be very happy. I just have read more threads on the UPO. this is my first Omega rep and I am looking forward to it.

I got mine in the member trade area here, from a very nice Belgian chap. His girlfriend didn't care for it, though it was a summer surprise for her.

Well, though after my PAMs it fits "strangely" on my wrist now, it's plenty big at 42.5mm. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

302040-1791.jpg

Go for the "4th Generation" PO. Getting a strap for it is recommended... it's a great rep, but it has pretty bad clasp and bracelet.

Here's mine (sold long time ago though).

302043-1790.jpg

I got mine from another member and love it. I still have mine on the bracelet and I have not experienced the problems By-Tor has with the clasp, but I did lose a Lume off the 8:00 marker. Plan to get it re-lumed by Ziggy anyway so no big deal. The biggest flaw is the gap between the last link and the End Link.

Here is mine for what it is worth:

302092-1774.jpg

Great looking strap on V's watch.

Thanks! If that was indeed for me (we have a more senior poster from Greece named V, so I defer the nickname to him. Call me Victoria anytime). :p

I bought a black croc strap w/flip clasp from Watch Prince. I'll post it up when I get it done. My clasp is toast, complete crap.

There are two Watch Princes. The one on eBay and our dealer, mostly to be found on RWI. If the latter, let me know, since I'd love what you bought for your PO! :)

They are awesome watches. I remember when the first came out that they were considered one of the best/most accurate reps at the time. If you really want to make it look cool put in on a black NATO strap. I get more compliments on that watch than anything else I wear. And I work in an office with guys who own three Rolexs, one black and gold sub, one blue and gold sub, and one GMT.

I am going to buy several different straps and chacne it up no and again. I love the way it looks. The vanity im me prefers Rolex's to Omega's because most people recognize a Rolex. I have 14 watches all together so I never know what I am going to be into on a particualr day.

I have two 42mm Planet Oceans, the black bezel insert, and the orange bezel insert. Both are nice watches. At first, I really liked the 42mm black, but, after a while, I got irritated of thinking of it as 'a smaller version of James Bond's watch', so I got the 45mm as well, and much prefer it. In terms of straps, I would recommend putting the watch on a rubber strap rather than the SS bracelet (much more comfortable than on SS) and, it also conceals the inside of the lugs, some of which have pilot holes drilled in for a 'guide peg' on the rep rubber strap, and no matter how you look at it, seeing that hole in the case just really spoils the look... In general, I would say that the Planet Ocean is my favorite watch of the moment (although SMPs are more elegant) and on a personal level, prefer the 45mm to 42mm size. In all honesty, the 45mm does not sit as huge on the wrist as one might think...

I am going to buy several different straps and chacne it up no and again. I love the way it looks. The vanity im me prefers Rolex's to Omega's because most people recognize a Rolex. I have 14 watches all together so I never know what I am going to be into on a particualr day.

Hee hee, vanity can be a dangerous thing... To most people, Rolex = Fake. They might recognize a Rolex more than an Omega, but chances are "Is that real?" will be soon uttered... Just doesn't happen with Omegas. I was showing someone my dad's modified Aqua Terra earlier, and pointed out how I'd customized it, and their only comment was "That's a really nice watch..." Try that with a customized Rolex, and you can gaurantee they'd've said "Is that real?" :lol: Vanity is one thing, but the flip side of that is shame, and, if you get called out for wearing a Rolex due to vanity, you'll be feeling the shame :lol:

Well said Teejay as usual. The PO looks and feels amazing. I may indeed someday trade it off and get a 45mm. On the vanity thing, I do own several Gen timepieces including a Rolex. I don't think I could wear a rep that would get me called out. I am too OCD for that. I recently send out my 16610 sub to get heavily modded and if all goes well in the next 60 days, I'll be trading my 1603 datejust and some cash for the genuine 16610. Vanity DOES come to play though as I have traded a rep for a very close replica of my 1603. So when it is gone, I can wear the rep daydate and no one, at least at work, and friends will be the wiser. Yeah I am vain. can't help it.

Well said Teejay as usual. The PO looks and feels amazing. I may indeed someday trade it off and get a 45mm. On the vanity thing, I do own several Gen timepieces including a Rolex. I don't think I could wear a rep that would get me called out. I am too OCD for that. I recently send out my 16610 sub to get heavily modded and if all goes well in the next 60 days, I'll be trading my 1603 datejust and some cash for the genuine 16610. Vanity DOES come to play though as I have traded a rep for a very close replica of my 1603. So when it is gone, I can wear the rep daydate and no one, at least at work, and friends will be the wiser. Yeah I am vain. can't help it.

That's something I can totally understand, although, the thing I try and bear in mind, is a flaw which you, I, or any other 'watch expert' could spot, the average person in the street wouldn't even have a clue about. I actually got round to showing my repair guy my dad's AT earlier. He said, "That's a really nice copy," (knowing full well that I only buy reps) but, was also genuinely interested when I pointed out the modifications I had made with the hands and dial, and when I pointed out that, although the black dial model should have the black datewheel, my dad would find the white datewheel easier to read, he agreed that for this specific watch (and it's intended recipient) the white datewheel was perfect.

I don't think I could ever wear a total 'fantasy model', like the blue Planet Oceans, in public, although a 'less than perfect' rep, I wouldn't be so concerned about, as, I doubt anyone would actually realize. The exception to that rule, is the GMT Submariner I'm planning on building, but, the difference with that, is that I can always say "I built it myself", so although it's a fantasy model, it wouldn't be a purchassed fantasy model, if that makes any sense...

[Edit to add]

Don't be worried about the size of the 45mm, to be honest, I first thought it would be too big, and, trying it on in an AD, it certainly looked big compared to the other watch I had, but, when I finally got mine on the rubber strap and just put it on, the size really wasn't an issue.

Edited by TeeJay