When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What is the crown guard and lever for?

jdub765

A total newbie question, but when I did a search, there was a whole bunch of unrelated results since the query is a bit generic.

So, what's the intended purpose of the crown guard and lever?

I'm guessing that when on some hardcore expedition, the cg is to prevent the crown from ripping off/catching on some boulders or the such? What's the lever for though? Wouldn't just the cg suffice?

Edited by jdub765

So, what's the intended purpose of the crown guard and lever?

To know the history of Panerai, is to know the watch's purpose. :)

hxxp://www.paneristi.com/reference/vintage.html (alter xx to tt)

"At the request of the Italian Navy, progress through the following years resulted in the wired lugs being changed by creating a completely new case made of one massive block of steel to avoid damage and to make the watch more stable."

Basically, to keep the crown stable, and to provide an extra measure of protection from water seeping in, if I have understood other people's explanations correctly.

Another interesting read here: http://www.pmwf.com/cgi-bin/Forum/webbbs_c...es;read=1263726

Officine Panerai had to find a way to ensure waterproof for their crowns.

Screw-in crowns were already registered/patented by Rolex, so OP had to design something different.

They designed the unique 'tumor' crown guard (and lever), that ensured both waterproof and mechanical protection to the crown.