When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

so china finaly cloned the swiss eta 28XX

2005SUBMARINER

you have to wonder... if they can clone this movement so close... why not clone a rolex movement and then they get higher prices for a cheaper movement??? the asian swanneck 6497 has come a loooong way since it first appeared, and is now a very nice finished and well built movement, i'm guessing that in 4-6 months time this is as close to ETA as we will see in any new reps.... i hope it's good!

I expect we have been recieving these movements for some time now any way, what i would like to see is a breakdown comparison between an Asian and a swiss from a reputable dealer like cousins and see if there is a tell because from what i can see they are the same. How do we know now that we are getting a swiss (chiss, swiense) ETA that came from ETA machining or the asian. If they are the same though i dont care as long as i dont get ripped off and sold one insead of the other but would i ever know.

The one differece i can spot though is the jewel retainer in the balence [censored] but i have seen different ones in true ETAs aswell,

I saw some without the ETA stamp... but for the eta copy with the stamp I did not see a tell but I am no expert.

River was selling a sub with a non stamped 2824 type works a while ago, i am sure ziggy did a break down as there was a race to get one to ziggy as he said he would service it for free when i took it apart. But as Doc says these have been around for a while and i agree, who knows what we have had in the past. i too would be interested in a 2984 or a rolli movement!

you have to wonder... if they can clone this movement so close... why not clone a rolex movement and then they get higher prices for a cheaper movement??? the asian swanneck 6497 has come a loooong way since it first appeared, and is now a very nice finished and well built movement, i'm guessing that in 4-6 months time this is as close to ETA as we will see in any new reps.... i hope it's good!

My guess is, its because ETA produces in China, therefore the tooling to produce the movement is already in China. So its not hard to replicate the movement, if you have the right tooling.

Plus the Copyright for this movement most likely expired, so this is not even an illegal clone. Its most likely legal (besides the ETA stamp). The 7750 copy is a 100% legal copy!

I expect we have been recieving these movements for some time now any way, what i would like to see is a breakdown comparison between an Asian and a swiss from a reputable dealer like cousins and see if there is a tell because from what i can see they are the same. How do we know now that we are getting a swiss (chiss, swiense) ETA that came from ETA machining or the asian. If they are the same though i dont care as long as i dont get ripped off and sold one insead of the other but would i ever know.The one differece i can spot though is the jewel retainer in the balence [censored] but i have seen different ones in true ETAs aswell,
I love how it censors "balancecock".

Also makes me wonder how many of these have been slipped in over the past few months as "Swiss".

Edited by gioarmani

River was selling a sub with a non stamped 2824 type works a while ago, i am sure The Zigmeister did a break down as there was a race to get one to The Zigmeister as he said he would service it for free when i took it apart. But as Doc says these have been around for a while and i agree, who knows what we have had in the past. i too would be interested in a 2984 or a rolli movement!

Weren't some ETA UPOs and SFSOs being sold with Selita movements? Not Asian ETA clones I know but the move away from ETA seems to be gathering momentum. Until The Zigmeister reviews these clones and gives a glowing report, I'm steering well clear.

Cloning a 2894 or a c.3135, is a pipe dream, not gonna happen. More likely will be a more 7753 clone, a reconfigurement of the Asian 7750, as most parts will interchange, althouhg right now I'd be happy for a more reliable and stable 7750 :whistling:

Well i for one would be happy with a 26j selitas as it is a known factory and probeberly more swiss than ETA, the big question here is what is this movement. if i understand it fully it is a copy of the ETA not made in and ETA factory in Asia, as opposed to and ETA made in and ETA factory in Asia. The only thing i remember seeing like this is the 2824 copy as rewiewd by Ziggy here. The main difference stamps aside between these movements is the balence kock jewel holding spring. The question for Ziggy when he gets one is, Are the parts compatable with ETA? does it look like it was made on ETA machines, tooling marks ect?

Also as Gio asked how many have been sold as swiss? would we know? and how can we find out? should we care if they are sold at a reasonable price?

Well i can answer the last question my self, yes we should care, if it is asian then tell me dont try to bluff or lie to me. But i think we have been there. Enough!

Yes, the right problem is the compatibility of the parts. Without compatible parts it will further be a mess if any repair is needed.

If the Sellita SW-200 was clearly sold in reps as a Sellita, I may think this would be the best for all of us.