When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

MBK Nautilus

emuozz

First I would like to thank all fellow members who kindly response some of my questions as whopfish, ubi, and chino and especially to Paso for this unique piece. I know than you have seen several Nautilus treads but I couldn’t avoid doing a review of this watch

A Little History of Nautilus

c0092710_5334191.jpg

Nautilus Jumbo 3700

During the beginning of the 1970s, Audemars Piguet, Patek Philippe and Vacheron Constantin started to develop new "leisure” watches, more suitable to the new life style of their costumers as Omega and Rolex had make it. And in all the cases this watches became an absolute success. Coincidentally all these revolutionary watches for these traditional brands were the work of Gerald Genta. The Royal Oak for Audemars Piquet, the 222 for Vacheron Constantin and Nautilus to Patek

lunga1ns2rv4.jpg

Some of genta designs: IWC ingenieur AP Royal Oak, PP Nautilus, VC 222

Around the first part of the 70’s Patek Phillipe started the design of its first water resistant sport watch, the design was commissioned to Gerald Genta; based on a porthole, in 1974 he came on with a bold design considering the current line of Patek at that time and in stainless steel, which Patek only very selectively used for any timepiece. The design was a logical follow up to the Royal Oak (1970) while having at the same time an architecture adapted to the spirit of the Patek Philippe watches.

gentaeb7.png

Nautilus by Gerald Genta

It was water resistant to 120 meters, thanks to its hermetically sealed two-piece milled case, which was secured by four screws and a gasket.

patekxn6.png

The only problem was the size, it made the watch enthusiast wonder, its 42 mm where too big inside the Patek collection, despite the fact it’s an sport watch, it was almost 4 mm bigger than most of the watches, remember that we are taking when Panerai were an Italian state secret, but the design became a success and the platinum, gold and smaller versions appeared. By 1990 when Patek Philippe decided to use only movements made in their workshops, the Jumbo was abandoned. It wasn’t until 1998—a year after Panerai’s re-launch and success —that the original 42 mm dimensions for the case returned with the 3710/1 made in steel with IZR indication of winding zone, then in 2004 was added the 3711/1, identical to the 3710/1 without IZR, only available in white gold. The 2005 was marked with the appearance of the 3712 with three complications. Finally in 2006 the new Nautilus collection was launched introducing a chronograph with a size of 44 mm

sub-patek.jpg

MBK Jumbo

img0569editedio2.jpg

Some of you may wonder which model reps the MBK jumbo, well basically It’s a fantasy based on the 3700 it also has a second hand as the 3800. The clasp it’s like the one on the current collection than on the original jumbo.

img0536editedkt5.jpg

Well there also other flaws that probably would be spotted by a nautilus owner, Patek fan or a Patek watchsmith (around the 0.000000000000001% of people) the date font, as any Patek rep, is way off and also it’s the date placement.

I wouldn’t dare to say that the dial isn’t right (the outer white markings) because this model has had several dials versions, although I never had seen a dial with that markings only with dots, also I can tell you that the hour markers are fatter than in the 3700 but are as good as the 5711, but not with the same shape. As different subject you could address the alignment of the 12 o’clock marker, this it

Edited by emuozz

An excellent review, I must say.

I have spent more hours researching the Nautilus since purchasing the rep, than I have spent on any other watch that I own. Since getting the Nautilus I have not worn any of the other 20(+) watches that I own. The reason...The Nautilus is WITHOUT doubt the finest timepiece I have ever worn.

I cannot stop admiring it. The different textures, between the polished and brushed surfaces of the case and bracelet, the beauty of the dial, and simplicity of the entire piece, are for me..close to perfection.

The fact that the watch is not an absolute replica of any of the jumbo's, especially with the center seconds hand, only add to the beauty of the piece. It is not a 3700 jumbo, it is not a 3800 jumbo, and it is not the new 5711, rather it is a bit of all three.

Your review is excellent. A testimony to a beautiful rep. Of the four featured Gerald Genta designs that you illustrated here, to me, of the four watches shown, the Nautilus is the most handsome. We are fortunate to have it available to us.

I too, feel as though the rep is as beautiful as the genuine, and I feel fortunate to own it.

My watch, I feel, is as close to the original design as the original 3700. A watch that at auction is selling in excess of 50,000.00 dollars. I have seen a number of 3800's with the center seconds hand and white date window, that at auction have sold for 30,000.00 (+) USD.

The MBK rep, at 450.00 is WELL worth the money.post-22-1188832514_thumb.jpg

Great review. The Nautilus has grown on me over the years but the size is what always made me back off. This new generation of Jumbo's is looking mighty tempting.

Thanks for a wonderfully researched review and most of all thanks for sharing your research with the forum :thumbsupsmileyanim:

great review....for the last couple of months this became one of the favourite reps among the rep comunity...as well to my father who had a dream when was younger of getting one of these...I will get him one for a present...as you guys pointed out all the flaws on this one there isn't a single one that would stop anybody of buying it...great, great rep...

here is one nice pic that should be part of this post...

nautilus1yr4.jpg

since we have already a good rep of this...the following models shouldn't be too much difficult to replicate...and i looove the look of the nauti with a leather strap!

Edited by dadog13

@emuozz,

Great review, thanks for your contribution!

With a nick like that, we can only hope you do come from downunder! ( although your local time says No.)

And with these presentation abilities, why do we only now see such a wonderful post.

I note you were member 521?

Aside from all that, maybe now, with the additional info you have had added here, from our WIS group, you could " flesh" this review out, and make it a full blown review of the PP Nautilus (or Genta contibutions) range.

Again, thanks, it is so pleasing to see new contributors.

Offshore

Thanks for the great review, but it's gonna get me in trouble...........like many others, I've been aware of this watch and decided, a month or two back, to follow the clues as to where to source one from. I found out, then made the mistake of mentioning to my wife that I was planning this purchase, and (even more stupidly) told her the price :oops:

Well, this review has fanned the flames, and I'm going to need all my cunning and guile to present a convincing argument to my wife. Maybe someone could start a review of the best stories for persuading your OH that, this time, you really do need to buy this watch :lol:

prof

Thanks for this great review emuozz!

Now I want one even more... and even worse my OH wants one too...

Thanks for the great review, but it's gonna get me in trouble...........like many others, I've been aware of this watch and decided, a month or two back, to follow the clues as to where to source one from. I found out, then made the mistake of mentioning to my wife that I was planning this purchase, and (even more stupidly) told her the price :oops:

Well, this review has fanned the flames, and I'm going to need all my cunning and guile to present a convincing argument to my wife. Maybe someone could start a review of the best stories for persuading your OH that, this time, you really do need to buy this watch :lol:

prof

Well prof, consider the alternative..... when my OH asks how much did you pay for that watch or what do they cost, I usually answer err...about 100$, but free shipping.

I said that about every rep she has seen .... kept me out of trouble so far. But now she wants some reps herself !!!

Order me that beautiful blue faced watch (PPNJ) she says, and a pam111h and a saddle bag ....since they are so cheap.

Now I am in trouble !

Thanks for this great review emuozz!

Now I want one even more... and even worse my OH wants one too...

Well prof, consider the alternative..... when my OH asks how much did you pay for that watch or what do they cost, I usually answer err...about 100$, but free shipping.

I said that about every rep she has seen .... kept me out of trouble so far. But now she wants some reps herself !!!

Order me that beautiful blue faced watch (PPNJ) she says, and a pam111h and a saddle bag ....since they are so cheap.

Now I am in trouble !

;) Think we're on the same wavelength rolexsandwich - I've used that very same tactic, they all cost

here is one nice pic that should be part of this post...

nautilus1yr4.jpg

since we have already a good rep of this...the following models shouldn't be too much difficult to replicate...and i looove the look of the nauti with a leather strap!

Yes. I love the 5712R in RG with Brown leather. It would have been my choice over the 5711. I know for a fact the rep makers produce an exact Brown dial.

Here is an auction watch of the Nautilus with the roman numerals that sold recently for 10,000.(+)USD

It is not a 'Jumbo' but measures 38mm x 42mm.

I think that the MBK rep currently available is certainly similar to this dial and configuration.

Yes the dial configuration of roman numerals does exist but only on the 3800 (the mid size one, well actually it