When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pugwah avatar

gran

klink-1.jpg

:bangin:

PUGWAHs avatar deeply offends me....but even so I think that freedom of expression is more important than my feelings on this subject

Even so I have a request: If anyone has a picture of PUGWASH (or remotely resembles PUGWASH) please do send such a picture to me and I will make a avatar that correctly describes my feelings about PUGWASH (with love and humor obviously)

Thats all

Gunnar :p

"Could it be.... " LOL

Heres a pic of Pugwash that i saw on a post a few months ago... LOL

Sorry buddy it made me laugh out loud before and i couldnt resist. I personally like Pugs new avitar (not as much as the old one).. this new one is kinda creepy and unique.. Its cool!!!

106014191-S-2.jpg

People like Klink are fair game for being ridiculized, Gran - for the simple reason that they've repeatedly angered a group of members who feel that people like Klink are fair game for being ridiculized.

If the logic seems circular, it is: it's the stuff of Sicilian vendettas. But instead of blood calling for more blood, it's pettiness on both sides calling for still more pettiness.

Don't get in the middle - there are some powerful factions at work here, and you're no match for them.

Some people might think that turning an avatar that also happens to be an image of the person's own family - albeit a distant ancestor - into something disturbingly grostesque is acceptable - or even funny. Others might argue that it's poor taste.

Your problem is that you seem to lack a sense of humor, Gran. Learn to laugh - even when there's nothing funny about what you see.

It's one of life's unpleasant but very essential lessons.

ooohhh whoops

sorry guys i didnt know the history. I just thought it was a cool picture.. Isnt Kink a mod over at RWI or something? Sounds like an interesting story... :black_eye:

Lonnie

Guys it's a picture of Klink after a fight with Neil were Neil told to shuff it up his a..

The only problem is that Klink didn't fully understand him :mellow:

Regards,

Cats

Some people might think that turning an avatar that also happens to be an image of the person's own family - albeit a distant ancestor - into something disturbingly grostesque is acceptable - or even funny.

Since when has GFM Mackensen been related to Klink? This is something of which I was not aware. The photo I used is out of copyright and the whole thing was done in jest. I no longer post over at RWI, so it's not like I'm shoving my avatar in the face of the RWI Admin team with every post.

As for requests to make insulting avatars from photos of me, it's been done. It was a serious invasion of privacy and breech of every forum's rules, but it was done. The perpetrator sent me some disturbing evidence of stalking but luckily never used the avatar image he sent me.

Gran, if the avatar offends you, you're the first person to say so (without hiding behind fake user IDs) and I'm more than willing to change it for you.

Since when has GFM Mackensen been related to Klink? This is something of which I was not aware. The photo I used is out of copyright and the whole thing was done in jest. I no longer post over at RWI, so it's not like I'm shoving my avatar in the face of the RWI Admin team with every post.

As for requests to make insulting avatars from photos of me, it's been done. It was a serious invasion of privacy and breech of every forum's rules, but it was done. The perpetrator sent me some disturbing evidence of stalking but luckily never used the avatar image he sent me.

Gran, if the avatar offends you, you're the first person to say so (without hiding behind fake user IDs) and I'm more than willing to change it for you.

Thank you Pugwash :)

I would be very happy if you changed the avatar

Best wishes

Gran :thumbsupsmileyanim:

@ryyannon

It is well known that I have no sense of humore...melancoly and caustic humour is more my style and even the distinquished Rya has problems with my bleak visions..I will henceforth proceed and see a physcologist to try brighten up my sad life

Somewhere along the line, Klink stated that Mackensen was actual family. Granted, Klink has stated many strange things in the past, but as improbable as this one was, it 'appeared' to be true. I say appeared, since he backed up what he asserted with all sorts of personal anecdotes and family history.

I can certainly be naive - and easily misled - but it rang true. Which is why I personally feel more than uneasy looking at it - same as I would for a member of any other member's family that had been subjected to the same treatment.

Were it just an avatar like any another, I suppose it would be fair game - and even funny. Interestingly enough, Gran - who apparently doesn't know the story behind the image, finds it disturbing enough to post on the issue.

But then again, Gran has always been a special case...his blood-drinking Viking ancestors are most certainly regularly turning over in their tumuli at a very thought of what their loins have unleashed upon the world.

That in itself opens up a whole new area of debate on the limits of free expression and God knows what else... As for me - and as I've indicated - the issue revolves around respect for 'innocent bystanders': if Mackensen is indeed Klink's great-great-great something-or-other, then there's no reason to drag him into the current situation.

If he's just someone that Klink found on Google images, the barb is no less sharp but at least much less objectionable - at least to my admittedly flawed way of thinking.

And this, without entering into the long Hatfield and McCoy feud that previously created so much sound and fury - and ultimately resolved nothing.

That in itself opens up a whole new area of debate on the limits of free expression and God knows what else... As for me - and as I've indicated - the issue revolves around respect for 'innocent bystanders': if Mackensen is indeed Klink's great-great-great something-or-other, then there's no reason to drag him into the current situation.

Mackensen is a "Public Figure" and as such doesn't fall into normal privacy expectations.

Well, that certainly settles that.

Not.

My thing is Jooos. Especially being one myself, I have nothing but contempt for them. The guy on the left is my great-grandfather, so it's ok. Jooos - at least those who escaped the Shoa - are more or less in the public domain, if you see what I mean. And if you don't, well, too bad: Jooos don't fall into privacy considerations. Why? Because I say so.

49821uv3.jpg

Well, that certainly settles that.

Not.

My thing is Jooos. Especially being one myself, I have nothing but contempt for them. The guy on the left is my great-grandfather, so it's ok. Jooos - at least those who escaped the Shoa - are more or less in the public domain, if you see what I mean. And if you don't, well, too bad: Jooos don't fall into privacy considerations. Why? Because I say so.

49821uv3.jpg

Wiking jews :p

Some days, I guess we're all Viking Jews, Gunnar...

In the interests of casting a little soothing oil on the turbulent waters, here's a furren melody celebrating the bonds of our common humanity and our infinite love for our innate differences - the amazing variety of that most improbable experiment of Nature, the Homo Sapiens: May God have mercy upon his soul.

For the both the beauty of the pics and the message - not terribly optimistic, alas - of the song:

http://files.ww.com/files/38679.html

Les tuniques bleues et les Indiens

by Eddy Mitchell

A t'entendre faut croire que le bon Dieu... t'a cr

Let me get this straight.

Gran is offended by a photoshop picture created by Pug (Which is pretty damn funny), but sees no problem with the half naked woman avatar he's using?

ryyannon calls out pug for making fun of a supposed ancestor of Klinks, but see no problem using the "Bagdad Bob" avatar wich is used jokingly around the world.

:huh:

Somewhere along the line, Klink stated that Mackensen was actual family.

Are you serious?? Okay, let me rephrase that because that would be a first.

Is this true?? Because my mother comes from an old German family and chances are good to excellent that I am in some way related to the Mackensens...which would mean I am in some way related to KLINK!

OMG. This explains it. The verbosity. The intense constant Prozac-like happiness. The love of militaria.

Life is NOT good.

Scare? I've got Meniere's Disease. It's not a big deal, but I've had it about a year and can pretty much live with it without too much of a problem. Pretend it's just migraines and it's not that uncommon.

I'm so very sorry, Pugwash. The closest I came to Meniere-like symptoms was Otitis media, and that was no fun. I'm sure you're bearing up well, but regards just the same.

Let me get this straight.

ryyannon calls out pug for making fun of a supposed ancestor of Klinks, but see no problem using the "Bagdad Bob" avatar wich is used jokingly around the world.

:huh:

If Bob happened to be your Uncle Bob, I'd think twice about using him as my avatar. I presume he's somebody's uncle, but the odds of that person being in or around this forum are slim...

Also, everybody loves Bob.

Is this true?? Because my mother comes from an old German family and chances are good to excellent that I am in some way related to the Mackensens...which would mean I am in some way related to KLINK!

OMG. This explains it. The verbosity. The intense constant Prozac-like happiness. The love of militaria.

Life is NOT good.

Can we quote you on that Fr

Now that we've been around the block a few times on this issue, I'd like to offer my apologies to Pug for objectifying him - if that's the right word in this circumstance - in this particular context. No one likes having potentially critical attention being drawn to them, and in general, this forum is not the place to do so...unless one feels that it's absolutely necessary, as in, for instance, not me. not anymore.

I was personally uncomfortable with the transformation of Klink's avatar, but I figured I could and should live with it: RWG was not created with the express purpose of making me feel comfortable. It's all part of interacting with people who are not exactly like oneself....in short, of being an adult.

When Gran put his foot into it - echoing the very unease that I had been feeling - I could do nothing but follow with both of my own.

Pug - ever the gentleman - immediately modified his work: graciously, and without the snarkiness that I would certainly have been guilty of had it been me rather than he.

Since one of the mainsprings of this whole situation is an endless series of real or perceived slights between Klink, Pug - and still other members - I hope that my comments and reactions will not add still another layer of emnity and bickering to a forum which, like a delicate watch, needs the lubricants of mutual respect and recriprocal affection to work properly.

I've shared a glass or two (or three) with Pugwash, broken bread with him, and looked on as he and another Paris member repaired a favorite watch that I was incapable of fixing myself.

Things like that create bonds, and it would be a shame to dissolve them over a difference of perception or opinion.

Without being the least bit Japanese, but in their spirit of recognizing the importance of the feelings - the 'face' of those with whom they interact, I thus reiterate my unease at the very idea having occasioned any unease on Pug's part - if such was indeed the case.

My best to you Pug, and may this encounter be the prelude to happier and lighter ones in the future.