When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Edge's Guide to Watches - Part II

Edge

Edge's Guide To Watches - Part II

What The Hell To Do With The Parts!!

The Eagerly Awaited Part II

I recently wrote a tutuorial on how to take apart a rolex. This is the follow up to that now that you guys have a lovely little collection of parts sitting on your desks lol.

You have fair warning this is a PROPER Modem Burner lol.

First off a quick shot of the watch parts disassembled from last time.

49940-36402.jpg

First things first it's time to put the crystal back on. This one is simple just push it in place, yours may not be as simple but you might have to add a little crystal cement and press it into place.

49940-36403.jpg

For me the next step was to reattach the dial, this can be done by alligning the feet with the screws, on the side of the movement, the feet only fit one way so allignment isn't really an issue.

49940-36404.jpg

ETA movements have feet but MBW's do not because they are on singer blanks so allignment is more difficult and the dial will need to be glued back onto the ring and attached back onto the movement.

Next the movement and dial were popped back into the plastic holder, which again differs in MBW models. In the MBW models there is no plastic holder the movement is held in place by movement clamps.

49940-36405.jpg

The next step is the tricky part, well it WAS it's not now. Many of you struggle as I did with hand putting. I have been asked about tips and tricks, and to be honest I had NONE. Until now, I have solved the issue.

I spent an HOUR putting the seconds hand back on my 1680 which was VERY frustrating and time consuming. However the hand putting this tiem took me 10 seconds, "HOW??" I hear you say.......

The Hour and Minute hands are relatively simple to put, they can be reattached with tweezers and patience very simple. They can be pressed GENTLY into place by using the Hand Removal Tool.

49940-36406.jpg

49940-36407.jpg

Now to the tricky part.....

- Take a piece of sellotape, fold it twice so that the sticky bit is no longer sticky

- Leave a sticky portion of enough length to get to the round mount in the middle

- Stick the seconds hand to the tape

- Position the seconds hand in the correct place

- Push gently on the round mount

- The tape then comes easily away without damaging the hand and leaves the hand in place.

49940-36408.jpg

I suggest using sellotape as it is not that sticky so will come away easily and is transparent so one can see the mounting clearly.

EASY as that 10 seconds and it's all back together...WOOHOO!!!!

Thanks Chris you are my HERO!!!!.........I know thank you vey much guys........

Next the reassembled movement/dial can be reentered into the case.

49940-36409.jpg

Next comes the O-Ring....DON@T FORGET THE O-RING!!!!.

Take some Silicon Grease....

49940-36410.jpg

Put some on your fingers and apply to the O-Ring....

49940-36411.jpg

Then it's time to put the O-Ring back into the case......

49940-36412.jpg

Pop it into the groove and gently press around witht a screwdriver or suchlike to get in into place.

Then it's time for the case back. Put it on and screw it round, then take the caseback removal toll and tighten it up nice and secure....

49940-36413.jpg

Next it's the turn of the bezel assembly.

Put some glue on the bezel, just a little, then press the insert back into position....

49940-36414.jpg

TAH DAH!!

49940-36415.jpg

Then it's time for the washer, put the start of the washer into the groove and then gently work it round with your finger.

49940-36416.jpg

It will sit quite happily in it's groove......

49940-36417.jpg

Then comes the bezel assembly's turn to go onto the case....simple....align it and push lol.....

49940-36418.jpg

Simple as that and then you are all done......

49940-36419.jpg

There are some small variances in procedure between ETA and Asian that I hope I have covered, it's all pretty simple stuff just need to get the finger out and try it guys.....

NOW NOTE!!

It is a good idea to use Greaseproof paper to protect the dial, I didn't have any on han and seeing as it's a POS watch I didn't bother going to get any. I higly recommend this as it prevents any damage to the dial.

The crown is pushed into place when the movement is in the case and doesn't really merit a mention but it's just get pushed into position really really simple.

Well guys that's us I really hope you hve enjoyed Part II and that you will try and do some of this stuff for yourself.

I hope that you hav learned some stuff and that you have got the gumption to give using my tutorials a go.

I have to give a massive Thanks to the people who helped me have the balls to give it a go....

Randy, Joe, Rob, Dave, Bob and the others thanks so much for all of your time and help it has been irreplaceable.

Well Peace Out!!

Enjoy!

Chris

What I do to push the hour and minute hands back on is use a cotton bud but cut off the bud part with a sharp knife squarely. This will leave a hollow plastic tube which just fits over the posts on an ETA movement allowing you to seat the hands and not leave any marks at all as it's soft plastic you are using. If you use hand removers be careful you don't scratch the delicate finish on your hands. I use the same technique as Chris for the second hands although I use the cotton bud tube to push it home.

:thumbsupsmileyanim::thumbsupsmileyanim: Thank you. Can I nominate this for a nomination for consideration as post of the month?! ;)

Really great. Thanks for taking the time. (Seriously)

And yes, we all want to see the blooper shots of your thumb.... :lol:

THanks for all the kind words guys, it's all very much appreciated.

And the thumb is on the mend, it just looks HORRIBLE!!!! HAHAHA!

Wen tae tha docturs un he telt me ya huv whit wi communly caw Rid Big Joe Thumb!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Ok, I've been working on a 16610 project and am ready to reinstall the stem/crown. Am I supposed to insert the stem, then press the button as I am inserting the stem further??? Thanks.

No the button only need be pressed upon removal of the stem not re-insertion. Sorry for the late reply, PM me next time lol.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Yeah, when we moved over here from the original RWG we tried to copy forward as many threads as we could. Sadly this is one that didn't survive the transition.