When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Top Bargain Buys!

chrgod

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Noob Yachtmaster could be added, I think. Very informative thread!

You will find his review here: http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=60985

The rep can be picked from Narikaa for $120.

Yacht-Master added to the reviews. :) It shares the space together with the Noobmariner.

I have not really updated the original post in the last months. With the weak dollar, prices have gone up. Some of the watches are now priced above 150 USD. And new "bargain" watches are being released. ( Like the fresh 44mm IWC St Exupery with power reserve for 135 USD!) :)

IWC-083-5.jpg

Really nice threat - certainly worth a nomination.

One question with regard to the watches were more expensiver ETA versions are also offered (eg, Yachtmaster, SMP, UPO). Are the dials of these watches comparable in detail and quality with the more expensive version? Do they come from the same factory? And is the difference then the crystal and movement? Or are these watches generally done with lower quality components?

I am asking because I am not happy with my SMP dial (missing 3 o clock marker) and I am also looking for a Speedmaster with domed crystal (although not sure whether any version still has this)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

3. IWC F.A. Jones.

The Jones was a big hit when it came out a year ago, but are now in the shadows of more recent releases like the 3717. The use of the almost bulletproof Unitas-copy movement makes it a safe buy. Big, classic design. The strap is from Chinese plastic crocodile.. The skeleton version is quite a attention grabber, my girlfriend really likes hers!

The replica FA Jones with its decorated movement caused a stir on Timezone when it was launched.

DSC_2621.jpg

skeleton_image.jpg

Hi,

This great watch, the skeleton, Where to be bought at best price..?

Thanks

Regarding the F.A. Jones.

I actually wonder if it has been discontinued? I see that Silix is now listing it as "Not available". Still available at "trustytime88" though, for 158/ 168 USD.

• 1 month later...
Andrew has a Tag Link Quartz that is the same build quality/with same braclet as the "best" $258 version for $118--OK it's quartz, but Tag sells lots of quartz versions, and this one gives you quartz accuracy/durability at a bargain price.

For price-value relationship, on one of the better reps out there, this is one to consider.

TAG023A.JPG

I have this watch and wouldn't recommend it at all!

The build quality is very poor on it (buttons wobble and the glass face isn't even set right), the caseback is the wrong (making the watch a good few mm thinner than the gen) and the original strap was so bad it was very sharp and wouldn't stay closed.

Andrew sent me out a replacement strap which was off a 7750 version. this didn't fit so I needed to take apart the whole strap back to the end links and replace it piece by piece. Even then, a ball bearing fell out of it 2 days later and a third strap needed to be sent out. The 7750 strap is much better than the original but this also pops open when you move your wrist in a certain way.

Despite the new strap it still sounds awful since the end links and the watch case itself is hollow and makes a cheap noise when you shake your wrist.

The quartz movement is quite good though. the chrono works well and feels solid etc, but tag do not do a quartz version of this watch so it's pure fantasy.

Also I did see a gen version in an airport AD the other day and sorry to say the watch did not look anything like the rep at all. the features were all there but the actual shape of the watch was all wrong. the rep is quite flat yet the gen is quite rounded in comparison.

Still wear the watch though as it cost

Edited by RRFAN

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm having troulbe finding sources for some of these watches. I'm interested in the Omega Seamaster and the Chopard Mille Miglia GMT, but can't find a site that has either for the price listed in the OP. The only place I could find that Chopard for that cheap was Selix, but he appears to be out of stock. Would anyone be willing to link me to a place where I could find them? Thanks in advance.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm having troulbe finding sources for some of these watches. I'm interested in the Omega Seamaster and the Chopard Mille Miglia GMT, but can't find a site that has either for the price listed in the OP. The only place I could find that Chopard for that cheap was Selix, but he appears to be out of stock. Would anyone be willing to link me to a place where I could find them? Thanks in advance.

Sure! :)

Have you tried to contact Ruby for the Chopard? She has it listed of 99 USD:

http://www.nicereplica.com/prolist.php?CateId=9

Good luck!

<

<

<

<

On another note... I was tempted to add this 79 USD Graham chronograph to the "Bargain guide"... :lol: The Graham is a monstrous watch, which I never could see myself spending 350+ USD on... But, I bet this quartz-version would have much the same "WOW-effect"... The caseback is not as nice on the 7750-version though.

2007122123381311406.jpg

Sure! :)

Have you tried to contact Ruby for the Chopard? She has it listed of 99 USD:

http://www.nicereplica.com/prolist.php?CateId=9

Good luck!

That was actually where I was considering going if Selix didn't pan out. Choosing a dealer gets to be a little confusing for someone new to RWG, with all of the information availble in the forums.

In any event, thanks for the advice. This thread was extremely useful to me as someone researching their frist rep purchase.

That was actually where I was considering going if Selix didn't pan out. Choosing a dealer gets to be a little confusing for someone new to RWG, with all of the information availble in the forums.

In any event, thanks for the advice. This thread was extremely useful to me as someone researching their frist rep purchase.

I am a little confused also, the website http://www.nicereplica.com/pro_detail.php?ProId=77 shows 129.99 for the superocean steelfish, but when u add to cart it says 350?!?

Ruby could you please fix this as soon as possible.

• 1 month later...

After 5 years in this game here is the best bang for the buck. Buy a rep that has the SAM case and strap/bracelet as the 7750 version but has the quartx movement inside and usually minera crystal for 1/3 to 1/2 price and get the shipping included. I have delt with www.watcheden.com and got the Oris Carlos Coste for $ 118 delivered . I am about to order the Graham Chronofighter in quartz for a bit more. The guy has $ 20 off coupon on the fron page. Don't pay $ 35 EMS for a $ 100 Rep. IF you don't like this Dealer do the same with others. Make sure the Rep has the same case and Strap as the 7750 and then go quartz. Best thing I can pass on to you.

Steve

After 5 years in this game here is the best bang for the buck. Buy a rep that has the SAM case and strap/bracelet as the 7750 version but has the quartx movement inside and usually minera crystal for 1/3 to 1/2 price and get the shipping included. I have delt with www.watcheden.com and got the Oris Carlos Coste for $ 118 delivered . I am about to order the Graham Chronofighter in quartz for a bit more. The guy has $ 20 off coupon on the fron page. Don't pay $ 35 EMS for a $ 100 Rep. IF you don't like this Dealer do the same with others. Make sure the Rep has the same case and Strap as the 7750 and then go quartz. Best thing I can pass on to you.

Steve

I'm sure Steve knows much more than us noobs here to have made that advice.

But if a ticking second hand on a 'mechanical' watch gets u on the edge, then do not try this

I would be wary of the 7750 chronos 21 K beat and 28 K as I have had many problems and continue to read of others having problems. I like the quartz even if it is a non chrono as it works and is reliable. If you have a quartz chrono and don't use the chrono it is hard to see the ticking of the quartz on the little subdial. I perfer to leave the chrono running myself. My reps don't have to be exact. All I ask is they are well built and reliable.

I would be wary of the 7750 chronos 21 K beat and 28 K as I have had many problems and continue to read of others having problems. I like the quartz even if it is a non chrono as it works and is reliable. If you have a quartz chrono and don't use the chrono it is hard to see the ticking of the quartz on the little subdial. I perfer to leave the chrono running myself. My reps don't have to be exact. All I ask is they are well built and reliable.

There's a lot of truth here.

If you want reliable...easy maintenance...less finicky...definitely go quartz...without question.

That ticking subdial running seconds bugs me though and screams fake too loudly to me even though 99.9999999999% of the population would have no clue of the difference.

As well, I like the nature of mechanical watches...so I go for the much more expensive, harder to maintain, delicate, etc. 7750 movements. Is it rational? No...not really.

@dmastah12...maybe you should do a little close up comparison of the gen, the A7750 based one and the cheap quartz one!! I haven't heard of anybody doing this...it would be interesting to see. I've just done the comparison with the IWC CD's...and there was a big difference no matter what the collectors say.

Mind you...what I consider a big difference may be extremely minor to the next person.

I just ordered a Bell and Ross BR 03 QUARTZ chrono on nylon. I did this as I wanted the reliability of quartz but wanted the same case /saphire glass/ strap as the more. I don't have to worry as much about the movement stopping etc as I would with the asian movements. Each to their own.

peace,

Steve

If you have a quartz chrono and don't use the chrono it is hard to see the ticking of the quartz on the little subdial. I perfer to leave the chrono running myself.

agreed, reliabilty and accuracy taken together are already reasons enough to pick the quartz over the autos..

didn't really get it when you mentioned "I perfer to leave the chrono running myself." .... u mean it's possible to hack the running second hand in the sub dial?

agreed, reliabilty and accuracy taken together are already reasons enough to pick the quartz over the autos..

didn't really get it when you mentioned "I perfer to leave the chrono running myself." .... u mean it's possible to hack the running second hand in the sub dial?

You can leave the Chrono running continuously. The large second hand will keep on ticking that was or if you choose you can stop the chrno and reset it to Noon and only one small chrono will work shoing seconds. (this is witht he 3 subdials). I like seeing the large seconds moving as it assures me the watch is working. I had a few automatics that were stopping on me and I was late for several appointments. All my Non Rep automatics work fine (Seiko, Orient etc). IT appears that only one of my my reps autos is trouble free (Rolex with real swiss movement). I also rotate my watches and don't have a watch winder. The quartz saves me from constantly resetting the time. ALl my friends know I am cheap and never would buy a Real Rolex anyway.