When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Speedmaster Pro w/ New Clear Caseback!

leitztozeiss

Today, I installed a rep Speedmaster Moonwatch caseback given to me by my friend Stephane (thank you, thank you, thank you!). As far as I could tell, it is of similar, if not, same quality as the original solid caseback. The two casebacks (rep clear and gen solid) have the same thickness and thread pitch. After installing the clear back, I found (as expected) that the movement was slightly loose in the case due to the removal of the dust cover and, as a result, rattled slightly. Omega produces a taller movement ring for their clearback Speedmasters to make up for the missing dust cover. I will buy this ring for installation during the next service interval. In the meantime, I dug through my rep graveyard of parts for something to take up the slack. I found an octagonal shape wire, which I bent and inserted between the caseback and the movement ring - you can just see it along the case threads in the first pic. This worked perfectly and eliminated the play between the movement/ring and caseback. What a beautiful movement and now, thanks to Stephane, I have a clear caseback through which to view it. Here are pics below:

1429265558_8e17f67a00_o.jpg

1429265370_d4a4fb3a6f_o.jpg

1429265250_632f2da068_o.jpg

Hi Leitz,

I'm so happy it arrived safely :)

I hope you will be able to fit it correctly as soon as possible.

To fit the genuine solid case back on my rep I had to get rid of the magnetic shield.

So here we are now:

- You have a genuine watch and movement and a spare rep clear case back

- I have a rep watch and movement but a genuine spare solid case back

Isn't this an incredibly great hobby ?

:group:

Enjoy, great to have been usefull.

Cheers

Stephane

Here my rep with a rep clear and a genuine solid case back (sorry no new pics) ;)

omegaspeedymoon_800_11.jpg

OmegaSpeedyMoon_GenCaseback_800_01.jpg

For those interested, this is the link I used to check the year of the watch based on the serial no:

http://home.xnet.com/%7Ecmaddox/romans.html

EDIT: I have found another site to check vintage year of Omega watches:

http://home.xnet.com/~cmaddox/omega_serial_numbers.html

This one seems more accurate and would place the one I am looking at around 1985, hence the 861 movt.