When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

non-hacking ETA 2846

stilty

I've heard that there are two version of the ETA 2846 movement. One that hacks, and one that doesn't. I'm looking at one now, but it does not hack.

Does anyone know if I can convert the non-hacking version to hack? What parts would be required. I've got the ETA 2846 parts chart, but don't know what parts to order, or if there are parts that make a movement hack or not hack.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I'm sure other modders out there would like to know as well, especially if they have a non-hacking movement.

Cheers!

Well, I don't know for sure now, but probably you have the 2846, whereas the 2846-1 does indeed hack. I ran into the same thing when building up 2789 and 2789-1 ETA's. The -1 hacked, the other didn't - I think so... :( sorry, it's been some time.

The base plates are specific, other parts are interchangeable - so you might not be lucky in modding it, as the hacking lever needs some space - also i nthe stem if I remember correctly...

So I'd say NO.

I guess the only way to be sure is to check when the movement is torn down. I've got an old beater 2836-2 that I will tear down to salvage the part and see if it will fit in the 2846 plate.

eta2801-2-9433.jpg

Stilty -- I posed the same question some months back and never got a definitive answer. The 2846 that came in my MBW DRSD hacked, but two 2846s I purchased from Ofrei did not. All three movements had the same markings and I did not find any variation of components when I overhauled them. Obviously, something must be different, but I never figured out what it was.

However, you can achieve a pseudo-hack with the 2846 (and other non-hacking ETAs) by pulling the stem out to the hand-setting position (all the way out) and then pulling on it further while moving the time slightly backwards. This will stop the second hand and keep it still for as long as you keep applying (outward) pressure on the stem. With a bit of practice, you can easily synchronize your watch with another time source.

• Like 1

Stilty -- I posed the same question some months back and never got a definitive answer. The 2846 that came in my MBW DRSD hacked, but two 2846s I purchased from Ofrei did not. All three movements had the same markings and I did not find any variation of components when I overhauled them. Obviously, something must be different, but I never figured out what it was.

However, you can achieve a pseudo-hack with the 2846 (and other non-hacking ETAs) by pulling the stem out to the hand-setting position (all the way out) and then pulling on it further while moving the time slightly backwards. This will stop the second hand and keep it still for as long as you keep applying (outward) pressure on the stem. With a bit of practice, you can easily synchronize your watch with another time source.

Yeah, that little trick works great Freddy.

I haven't got around to getting into the movement, but I know that the stop lever is responsible for the hack on the 2836-2 as pictured. If that part fits the base then I'm sure I can get the 2846 to hack. The part is only 5-6 bucks, so it will be a great mod if it works.

Below is an oil chart for the 2846 and if you look at the base, it looks as if there is a spot for the stop lever to attach.

oilchart2846pagetwobh1.gif

• 12 years later...
On 10/2/2007 at 7:50 PM, stilty said:

Yeah, that little trick works great Freddy.

I haven't got around to getting into the movement, but I know that the stop lever is responsible for the hack on the 2836-2 as pictured. If that part fits the base then I'm sure I can get the 2846 to hack. The part is only 5-6 bucks, so it will be a great mod if it works.

Below is an oil chart for the 2846 and if you look at the base, it looks as if there is a spot for the stop lever to attach.

oilchart2846pagetwobh1.gif

Did you ever find out if the 2836 Stop Lever fits the 2846 movement... many thanks.