When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How well do you know your watches?

anton

I was having a conversation today will some so-called "experts" about watch movements and so I paused them for a brief moment when I brought up the topic of the ONLY manufacturer that has NEVER used another's base movement. I quizzed them and only ONE person got it right.

I know the answer. But I will ask you:

Out of the choices below, which watch manufacturer has NEVER used a base movement (or ebauche) from another manufacture?

1) Patek Philippe

2) Breguet

3) Blancpain

4) Audemars Piguet

5) Jaeger-LeCoultre

6) Vacheron Constantin

Notice I did not include A. Lange & Sohne, so I beat whoever was going to post that! :p

And I repeat, Base movement. Most of us know that Manufactures sometimes use chronograph modules from other houses.

Dog,

you are half-correct.

Giorgio,

you are 100% correct.

Most people would assume that the "Big Three" manufactures and produces their watches in-house, but that is not so. In fact, the Big Three have one thing in common, though: They all used the JLC 920 (surprisingly JLC never used it themselves) during the late 60's-early 70's.

Anton, you didn't allow the quiz to go long enough. :) Of course it's Jaeger.

Vacheron has used JLC movements, mostly in the 40s & 50s if memory serve me. . Not sure about Patek but they may have at some point.

IMO, JLCs represent the best value in the high end specially as they are easy to find brand spankin' new for around 30% off.

The "Purists" who I asked at work today were aghast that their beloved watch manufacturer isn't quite the innovator they one thought it was. Society allows us bragging rights when we purchase watches from the "Big Three", but what fun is it when they received their movements from the "little fourth"?

And you're right JLC's represent a HUGE value in the second hand market. They never cease to amaze me, but unfortunately they haven't reached the type of demand that they should be receiving.

Funny thing, though: they thought that the LeCoultre watch brand was the same as Jaeger-LeCoultre watch brand.

Shame on you all for taking so long to get this one! Everyone knows that the only TRUE manufacture in that list....JLC. JLC really is an amazing value, considering that their heritage is really beyond reproach. That said, Glashutte is also in that rare camp as well, IIRC...unless they used some outside ebauche during a pre-swatch group time of weakness.

PS...Vacheron still uses JLC movements in some of their watches...my VC Patrimony Power Reserve has a JLC Cal. 928 inside.

I wish. Then I'd go pick it up for myself. :p The AMVOX2 is still in my shoret list, though. Been hinting at the wife for a couple months now. Hope she gets the hint.

Good luck with that, lol! The Amvox2 doesn't say anything to me. Kin of reminds me of an old clock radio of my dad's from the late 60s - early 70s

That said, Glashutte is also in that rare camp as well, IIRC...unless they used some outside ebauche during a pre-swatch group time of weakness..

Union Glashutte/SA had been supplying base movements to Glashutte Original until they decided to produce their own timepieces.

Anton, big difference between the two as you know.

LeCoultre was a necessity for Jaeger to reduce taxes which at the time, were considerably higher on imported finished watches into the US. To save on cost, Jaeger shipped the movements to US based LeCoultre which would case the watches here. Interestingly, all the 14K and 18K solid gold cases during the period were Jaeger and the far more common 10K plated cases (not of great quality IMO) were of LeCoultre origins.

JLC is a very interesting company. This is one clone I would never touch as the movements, fit and finish of their time pieces are just too darn good to replicate. Their parts are also very difficult to source and can only be done if the watch is sent to them for repair/service.

It was actually bidding on auctions for vintage Pateks that led me to find out the difference between LC and JLC. There's a seller based out in Poland who sells vintages which I now know are recased pocket watches. There was something odd about his selling signed "Patek Philippe & Cie." wristwatches that made me do some investigative research.