When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ever Heard Of Dirk Straps?

Willith

Check the first generation Dirk straps that has the OP logo on them. I wonder why no one ever said anything about them. He made his straps famuous by copying the original Panerai straps down to the logo buckle.

Somebody did say something... Officine Panerai (or their owners). For the record I think the first Dirk straps actually used NOS Panerai buckles, i.e. he was fitting genuine buckles onto his straps. This was at a time when Panerai had abandoned the use of the "2 arrows" logo. They decided to start using the logo again and told Dirk to stop, hence the 5218-2 and other various markings.

Having dealt with both Dirk and the E-hole, I can affirm that Dirk is a knowledgable and very helpful Panerai enthusiast and the other person is a businessman who I have no time for since his anti-rep outburst (and even less time since he came crawling back to try and cash in on the rep scene).

The world of Panerai seems to completing it's move from a world of passionate, knowledgable collectors into something resembling the world or ROL$X... Sad to see it happening really. :(

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's correct.. he used NOS logos (new old stock) and when Panerai decided to put the logo buckles to their new watches they told him to stop.

Dirk is a gentleman.. no one has ever said a bad thing about him.

That's correct.. he used NOS logos (new old stock) and when Panerai decided to put the logo buckles to their new watches they told him to stop.

Dirk is a gentleman.. no one has ever said a bad thing about him.

Dirk is indeed a gentleman. I have exchanged email with him a few time. Ended up not ordering anything from him. But he is always courteous and answering my emails promptly.

The point I am making is that IP infringement is a delicate thing. I just don't think our members should get too hung up on this issue. I cannot tell myself to stay on moral high ground one day and buying replica watches the next day.

I am not defending Elliot for whatever reason. I may even partially agree with some of what you guys said. Veni, I respect you for sticking to your principle when Elliot was signed onto this forum. I also respect the admin for delisting him for the betterment of the forum when the overall sentiment is obvious that he was not welcome. But I would expect in return respect for someone who choose to deal with him amd buying his products.

Afterall, everybody has to take responsibility and accept consequence for one's action and decision. I would hope these pointless bashing will stop and we all return to discussion on our favourite subjects like who has the best Sub and whether MF straps is better than BOB straps.

Enough ranting here. Have a good day.

Dirk is indeed a gentleman. I have exchanged email with him a few time. Ended up not ordering anything from him. But he is always courteous and answering my emails promptly.

The point I am making is that IP infringement is a delicate thing. I just don't think our members should get too hung up on this issue. I cannot tell myself to stay on moral high ground one day and buying replica watches the next day.

I am not defending Elliot for whatever reason. I may even partially agree with some of what you guys said. Veni, I respect you for sticking to your principle when Elliot was signed onto this forum. I also respect the admin for delisting him for the betterment of the forum when the overall sentiment is obvious that he was not welcome. But I would expect in return respect for someone who choose to deal with him amd buying his products.

Afterall, everybody has to take responsibility and accept consequence for one's action and decision. I would hope these pointless bashing will stop and we all return to discussion on our favourite subjects like who has the best Sub and whether MF straps is better than BOB straps.

Enough ranting here. Have a good day.

I think IP infringement is not so delicate... you either do or don't. We do, and I have done as well as own genuines.

I have not changed my tune due to IP infringement, I have because he is taking complete advantage of another man... not a corporation... a man that could have and possibly been at one time a coleague, a brother in arms.... For me, this is only about a man screwing another man over... pure and simple, it's different (to me) and just isn't right.

Enough ranting here too. Gotta get some sleep :yawn:

I visit TC from time to time and haven't ever seen Dirk referred to until today. Shame on you Elliot. You have purposely pilferred someones namesake for your own benefit. You have alienated so many people in the past three weeks with your tirade here and your miscalculation at TC. I feel sorry for you. You must have some serious issues upstairs. A bipolar in a manic phase for sure.

BTW, I see you lurking.

You're registration has not published yet in the Gazette, so a search in the public access portion of the uspto site would not uncover your registration anyway. But, the heads up is helpful. According to the USPTO website, "[a]ny person who believes that he or she would be damaged by the registration of a mark on the Principal Register may oppose registration by filing a notice of opposition with the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, and paying the required fee within thirty days after the date of publication or within an extension period granted by the Board for filing an opposition."

More motivated persons on this board might want to alert Dirk, in case he cares to file an opposition.

I was trying to find a Dirk website to look at his straps and found dirkstraps.com. I was shocked to find that it led to tcstraps.com. I quick check at WHOIS. Wow. I thought it was already over the top.

AMD Advertising

18662 MacArthur Boulevard

Irvine, California 92612 US

Domain Name: DIRKSTRAPS.COM

Administrative Contact -

Elliot Lazarus - Elliot@timeconnection.biz

AMD Advertising

Irvine, California 92612

US

Phone - 1949422XXXX

Fax - 1949422XXXX

Technical Contact -

ITX Design - support@itxdesign.com

ITX Design

4 Still Spring Court

Fredericksburg, VA 22406

US

Phone - 703-652-XXXX

Fax - 703-652-XXXX

Billing Contact -

Elliot Lazarus - Elliot@timeconnection.biz

AMD Advertising

Irvine, California 92612 US

Phone - 1949422XXXX

Fax - 1949422XXXX

Record updated date - 2006-05-22 23:59:54

Record created date - 2006-05-22

Record expiring on - 2007-05-23

Database last updated on - 2006-05-25 13:21:32 EST

Every clod has its silver lining:

all this publicity, coupled with the ill-will generated by Mr. Lazerus's appropriation of the Dirk name, will doubtlessly stimulate new customers for the authentic straps.

Speaking for myself, I had never really paid much attention to the subject before, but were I to be in the market for a strap in the future, the real Dirk would certainly be among the manufacturers I would check out.

As they say, what goes round, comes round...

Now back to the subject.. I need some good cigars for my wedding.. Can someone help me find a box? :D

You want some good and i mean some really good cigars?

These are the best: Hoyo de monterrey epicure no.1

Link

I`ve quit smoking 4 weeks ago and these are the hardest to resist.

Have a great wedding.

...Btw, that's typical Ameraican way to do business...

Yes... it happened to a friend of mine. His US importer/agent registered my friend's trademark in the US... then tried to sell it back to him.

Luckily, my US attorney has a friend who is a leading patent attorney...

Business ethics... from the people who brought you "friendly fire". :angry:

Issue not that it is fake dirk strap. Issue is that people buy it thinking it is a real dirk strap. We know our reps are fake.

It isn't like buying a rep on the board. It is like selling a rep on ebay as the real deal. COMPLETELY different.

I think you got the essence of it there.

17 of June.. gonna post a new post on Off-topic for suggestions and hints :p

Congratulatations! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I hope you hit the jackpot. :1a:

Greek style wedding where you get all the money pinned on you ? :D

A few points:

First up - it seems the application went in a couple of days ago then, which means it hasn't been gazetted. It is not a registered trademark, but an application has been lodged. I was bold enough to say that I thought he was lying, and he wasn't - so I should acknowledge and apologise for that. Frankly, I can live with myself.

Second: in other discussions the claim was that "TC Dirk Straps" has been trademarked - in fact the application appears to be for "Dirk Straps"

The combination of the two makes this a much darker and more nefarious episode than it was first reported.

elliot is scum. anyone who would associate with him in a business sense is as questionable as "E". he has a pathetic history of crossing the line and doing questitonable things. I was extremely disappointed when he showed up here as a dealer...extremely dissapointed. and I was extremely pleased when he was shown the door...

sooner or later, the scorpion will sting you...it is in his nature. E-hole cannot be trusted. whatcha think E-hole will do the first time he gets in any legal trouble with reps or rep sites or trademark violations or whatever? hmmm...maybe spill every bean in his database?

(too all the E defenders who feel a need to respond because you love your 40% off discounts....shhhh...i dont want to hear it :bangin: