When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Two watches : Pick the rep, Pick the gen :)

chad

005 Looks gen to me.

Teach me! ;)

Actually, yes the 005 looks gen, and the 111 looks like a DSN because of the tell-tale lever-dimple.

Something also looks a little off about the dial in the 111h, but can't put my finger on it. For a split-second, it looked like a sausage dial. BTW, strapwise Chad, flawless. A+.

Agree both are reps.

The "A's" are not correct and correct me on this but the "2" in the 12 does not look right on the 005(bar is too short).

The "L swiss made L" looks too wide and too close to the 6 on the 111.

Good observation, I agree both reps.

Ken

005 is a gen for sure. Correct A, correct shape logo, correct sub second hand, correct CG & crown.

111 is a rep - incorrect A, incorrect CG for that series, incorrect sub-second hand etc etc.

Absolutely no doubt about it. Final answer, as Chris Tarrant would say.

005 is a gen for sure. Correct A, correct shape logo, correct sub second hand, correct CG & crown.

Considering your top knowledge of PAM models I rely on your expertize. Also, the correct "A"s already made me a little dubious about the 005.

But then please tell us something about the 'L SWISS MADE L' text, as this is a scan of a 005 pic from an official OP catalogue:

005gench1.jpg

I read with the highest interest your post about the long arrow 005, but the 'L SWISS L' vs 'L SWISS MADE L' issue on the 005 is still unresolved to me.

Thanks!

the 005 is gen and 111h is vaccum's custom piece which is amazing.

The lighting makes the dial look funny, Ill take some better pictures as soon as I can.

Considering your top knowledge of PAM models I rely on your expertize. Also, the correct "A"s already made me a little dubious about the 005.

But then please tell us something about the 'L SWISS MADE L' text, as this is a scan of a 005 pic from an official OP catalogue:

005gench1.jpg

I read with the highest interest your post about the long arrow 005, but the 'L SWISS L' vs 'L SWISS MADE L' issue on the 005 is still unresolved to me.

Thanks!

005gench1.jpg

Thanks!

The L SWISS MADE L appeared during the H series, so the one photograped in the comparison pic is late H or later. The scan which you have posted is one of the long arrow G series and all of the G series plus part of the H series had just L SWISS L.

This thread is very useful as you can compare the shape of the normal 005 logo in the first post, the long arrow logo in your post and the 5218/201A logo in the signature of one of the other posts above. It should be fairly obvious that the 195 and 'long arrow' 005 logo is similar to the historic 5218/201A logo but different from the later 005.

Within a few hours of me posting on a thread on this forum, discussing the logo shapes someone started a thread on Paneristi asking for comparison pics and opinions but it was concluded that all 3 were different. I'm not so sure that I agree that the 5218/201A is different from the 'long arrow' used on the 195 and early 005.

So this is a complete custom watch from vaccum.

* Dial and hands relume off-white when uncharged

* dial font dyed to light off-white not bright white not cream

* ETA cannon pinion upgrade with flat top polished

* crown guard lever pin flat top polished

* new asian swanneck movement full serviced

* thick AR sapphire crystal

* Palp Crown

I love it.

I think davidsen watches are the most overrated items in the rep community and this is an excellent alternative that does not have a canal street quality dial.

but...

it is amazing we have the cousteau, big bangs....etc.

and we have NO accurate H series dials or AR on pams.....shame.

post-626-1192895619_thumb.jpg

post-626-1192895643_thumb.jpg

post-626-1192895665_thumb.jpg

Thanks for burying my photo efforts in this forum.....should be at least in the pam section

* Palp Crown

I love it.

I think davidsen watches are the most overrated items in the rep community and this is an excellent alternative that does not have a canal street quality dial.

but...

it is amazing we have the cousteau, big bangs....etc.

and we have NO accurate H series dials or AR on pams.....shame.

The L SWISS MADE L appeared during the H series, so the one photograped in the comparison pic is late H or later. The scan which you have posted is one of the long arrow G series and all of the G series plus part of the H series had just L SWISS L.

This thread is very useful as you can compare the shape of the normal 005 logo in the first post, the long arrow logo in your post and the 5218/201A logo in the signature of one of the other posts above. It should be fairly obvious that the 195 and 'long arrow' 005 logo is similar to the historic 5218/201A logo but different from the later 005.

Within a few hours of me posting on a thread on this forum, discussing the logo shapes someone started a thread on Paneristi asking for comparison pics and opinions but it was concluded that all 3 were different. I'm not so sure that I agree that the 5218/201A is different from the 'long arrow' used on the 195 and early 005.

Wow, thanks!

I hope one day to get to 1% of your knowledge about PAMs. :notworthy:

The 111h looks very nice. Wear it well. But make no mistake a rep is never a gen. Forget the A issue on the dial which is the case on most reps. On any series later than a C the level of consistency and quality on the parts improved dramatically. Vendome finally got the supply chain under control. The crown and CG pin are always instant giveaways after the C's. Further, as an H no one has ever made a properly proportioned crown guard. As good as a Palp crown is it is not close either in proportion or finish to a gen. This is not to say that a gen is necessarily worth it. You are paying a lot more. It is better finished though. For all those reasons the majority of PAM reps I keep and mod are C or earlier. With the lack of consistency in the earlier series (PAM constantly changed suppliers) a rep is going to be more realistic. And for that same reason I have always bought D and later gens - not that I have the money for the 3646 I recently saw. :lol:

And yes, 005 is absolutely gen.

And yes, 005 is absolutely gen.

Hey! Voting after they've been tallied only counts in Chicago! ;)

Kru, PamMan, and Sssurfer -- amazing thread. Eye-opening and hopefully, one day I will have your "eye" for details.

This thread proves again and again how ever much we think we know, some truly can't tell a gen from a rep. However, for ME, the finish of the 005 seemed far and above the 111h.

I mean, when you look at a gen, you get, I don't know, the same kind of tingle you get inside the pit of your stomach as when you hit a golf shot cleanly.

Without sounding like Kevin Costner in Tin Cup, it's a feeling that is indescribable, and makes you want to do it/look at it, again and again, because it's perfection.

* Palp Crown

Magnificent work. If only I didn't suspect that this costs a heck of a lot more than Davidsen's out-of-the-box PAM, I'd rush to Vac like THAT. I'm guessing this is $500-600 worth of work, and I don't pay more than $400, tops for any rep, sadly. :(

I love it.

Brilliant stuff nonetheless.

BTW, for my own merriment:

You put the OEM Croc on the rep, and what looks like a custom-made HKTAN strap on the gen, right? Or is the 005 strap the OEM Cashmere?

Oops, missed the vote part. :lol: Everyone who owns a rep and not a gen should, if they have the opportunity to, walk by a watch store window with PAM's in it and take a look. It is eye opening. Having said that, I would guess 99% of first time gen buyers in the last year would never notice the difference. When most people wear gens (who don't collect reps) they don't bother scrutinizing what is on your wrist. :lol: