When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Your Favourite Ballad

jonthebhoy

In a morose moment (and as a balladeer) I wondered what song made, and continues to make your spine tingle everytime you play it. Don't be ashamed if it makes you cry - the best ballads do!

One song only!!!!!!

Mines is ' My Eyes Gave The Game Away ' by Clive Gregson (ex of Any Trouble).

JTB

PS - Posted this in a moment of deep sorrow.

Edited to say…………there’s something about a great song, particularly a ballad, that can reach out to you that all the philosophy, politics and general news tripe can’t.

Ballads can rip your heart and soul from your body but that aside they can help you heal from the pain of a difficult episode in your life. They are, for me, the medicine that no drug can match. God bless a great ballad.

Ain't No Cure for Love by Leonard Cohen -- but particularly when sung by Jennifer Warnes (check out her Famous Blue Raincoat album).

JTB, hope everything is OK. We're with you in spirit.

I'm fine j........just losing someone dear (not the missus!) who means much to me.....and I can't reach out.

J

PS - Lovely choice.........great song!

He ain't heavy..............The Hollies

The road is long

With many a winding turn

That leads us to who knows where

Who knows where

But I'm strong

Strong enough to carry him

He ain't heavy, he's my brother

So on we go

His welfare is of my concern

No burden is he, to bear

We'll get there

For I know

He would not encumber me

If I'm laden at all

I'm laden with sadness

That everyone's heart

Isn't filled with the gladness

Of love for one another

It's a long, long road

From which there is no return

While we're on our way to there

Why not share

And the load

Doesn't weigh me down at all

He ain't heavy, he's my brother.

Hey you, what about my choice???

Beautifull song and EXTREMELY Scottish!!!

Good song also Chris..........and I got to spend some time with the guys when they played Loch Lomond a few years ago. Donnie was most engaging and good fun to be around. I've got photos somewhere. If I can find them................I'll post them up, but they're buried in the loft somewhere!

JTB

Edge,

I was going to comment that the first two posts in this thread were from Scotsmen, and at a rather late hour on a Sunday to boot. For me it's merely late afternoon. You gents clearly have heart and soul.

Both from the land of the world's most hopeless...........or is that hapless romantic.........Rabbie Burns.

Slange pal!

JTB

Edge,

I was going to comment that the first two posts in this thread were from Scotsmen, and at a rather late hour on a Sunday to boot. For me it's merely late afternoon. You gents clearly have heart and soul.

Either that or they're bored :lol:

Ken

A few of my favourites:

Led Zeppelin - "Thank You"

Rush - "Nobody's Hero" and "Afterimage"

Journey - "Winds of March" (old Santana-inspired Journey, long before Steve Perry turned this talented band to cheesy shit)

Grateful Dead - "I will take you home"

Pretenders - "Back on the chain gang"

The Who - "Behind blue eyes"

Fleetwood Mac - "These Strange Times"

I dunno if any of these are "ballads" in traditional sense but they're all beautiful, sad - and still very powerful songs. Maybe Eric Clapton's "Tears in Heaven" is a bit too much, but it's a good song about a sad tragedy.

Edited by By-Tor

Yeh goin on half one here lol. Tis getting to be about that time of the hour lol.

@JTB

I was at Stirling Castle when the played it. Where the Live Versions of Loch Lomond and Alba and Skye were performe that are on the long distance Album.

The crowd participation is UNREAL, everyone is singin and I mean EVRERYONE, it was truely awesome to be there. It was a real shame when Donnie gave it up to be a politician.

Runrig and Texas would make the Ultimate Hogmanay for Edinburgh IMHO. Runrig just aren't the same with some canadian fronting them.

When we go to internationals I have Long Distance on my Ipod and listen to it before the games it's just unbelievable.

Loch Lomond is just amazing and heart's of olden glory brings a tear to my eye EVERY time.

So many good songs, and so proud to be Scottish.

Either that or they're bored :lol:

Ken

Never........ever bored Ken, just infused by good words and music as I was tonight. I went to see a good mate of mine, Clive Gregson - who writes the most wonderful songs and has done for 26 years. He inspires me. I'd give my right leg...........and all that.

JTB

Edited to say............Bang on Chris.........at a time and in an emotion Runrig hit the spot!

I can give you my favorites

Barbara Allen

Mary of the Wild Moor

Seven Spanish Angels

Long Black Veil

Of course, you have to be from hills and hollers to really appreciate this kind of music. I still can food - I have enough; soups, chili, stew, beans-n-hocks, chicken-n-dumplings, greens, tomatos . . . put up at any given time to feed my family for months. Considering that I've got 5 kids, that's saying something.

post-223-1148864165_thumb.jpg Just one cupboard

Bill

Actually very interesting to see Chris is a published Poet, I have dabbled in a little poetry myself as I'm sure a few of us have, I wonder if there would be any mileage in a poetry thread where everyone post's one of theirs?

Ken

Actually very interesting to see Chris is a published Poet, I have dabbled in a little poetry myself as I'm sure a few of us have, I wonder if there would be any mileage in a poetry thread where everyone post's one of theirs?

Ken

I'm in sounds interesting....well at least somethig to write for again lol. Been A While.

Anyway I am really off to bed this time.............

Bon nuit

Ken

Roses are red

Violets are blue

I ain't no damn poet

And neither are you.

:D

Bill

It's hard getting it down to just one...

My favorites include traditional Anglo-Scottish-Irish ballads (by way of the Appalachians) such as 'Come All Ye Fair and Tender Ladies' and 'The Water Is Wide', to modern compositions such as Ewan McCall/Peggy Seeger's 'The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face', to the Pogue's 'Dirty Old Town.'

But somewhere near the very top would have to be any of the several bootlegged versions of Dylan's 'Percy's Song' - for his voice, and the unique, unfinished, suspended feeling of the narrative:

http://files.ww.com/files/15905.html

Strangely enough, none of the versions ever appeared on an album....

A close runner-up would be his 'I'll Keep It With Mine':

http://files.ww.com/download.html?id=8935