When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Any OxyClean veterans out there?

docblackrock

Having trouble with my 192 case and getting it oxidised evenly.

Bracelet no problem - lovely dark tantalum colour, but just can't get the case right, tried numerous times, numerous recipes, including pre-treatment with acetic acid and soap/water to remove oils, but no dice - VERY frsutrating :cry:

Can anyone provide any further advice or even offer to do the case for me, for a fee of course?

:pray:

Bracelet no problem - lovely dark tantalum colour, but just can't get the case right, tried numerous times, numerous recipes, including pre-treatment with acetic acid and soap/water to remove oils, but no dice - VERY frustrating :cry:

Can anyone provide any further advice or even offer to do the case for me, for a fee of course?

Doc,

there are different versions of oxiclean.. the one that works best is the one that is used to soak diapers... (stronger)

boil water in a tea kettle... have a small pot on the side with 2 full scoops of oxiclean.... pour boiling water into the pot with the oxiclean in it...do it in your sink or bath the bubbles with overflow..

let the water cool itself... test it with your finger .. (after a while :huh: )... if its too hot for your finger then it's too hot for the watch.. it should be hot though so if you can stand it, but not scalding ,if you can take the heat with your finger it's good to go

Add more oxiclean... stir... get a plastic bottle cover... this is going on the bottom of the pot then lay the watch crystal side down on top of the bottle cap so there is a good inch or two from the bottom of the pot to the watch..cap should just hold the crystal..since the side facing down will get much more oxidized due to the heat and the bubbles rising..

after 20 min. check the temperature... add hot water as needed to keep up the temperature.. keep adding oxiclean and stir around the watch,.. get a current going.... 2 hours of this is needed .. for my 189 I actually left it over night... it got good and dark .. the darker the better before you refinish the bluing..

to keep the blueing down... this is the effect of oxygen on the metal with the chemical still on it... run water into the pot without taking the watch out ... do this until you are sure all the chemical is dispersed .. then remove the watch from the water.. ergo less oxygen on the chemical and metal.. because the chemical is not there..

you may have to do this repeatedly.. took me hours to get the 189 right.. it seems like the metal is of different quality with each casting... sometimes the purity of the TI is in question.. I have a 117 that darkened and stayed matted while other TI watches were difficult..

DO NOT USE CAPE COD to take out the bluing... too much petroleum by products.. you will make the TI shiny ... get a aluminum alloy past polish... then use a toothbrush .. not a polishing cloth.. you want to just take off the blue not polish the metal... sometimes just dabb.. don't brush.. around the crown and cg you can be more aggressive... stay by some hot running water... i even brush while running hot water on the watch.. to keep it as Matt as possible.. finish with dish soap and hot water to remove the polish and to get it as Matt as possible..

GOOD LUCK DOC :D ... or send it to me and I'll give it a go... but I don't charge a fee,glad to do it for you... i do use a body shop chemical to get the oils out of the metal... same thing they use to treat metal that has been sand blasted .. before painting.. rarely do they take body's down to bare metal.. this chemical makes sure that there are no impurities or silicone in the metal before spraying primer.. otherwise primer will not bond..

let me know.

Lani

took shots of some of my TI's... but the light bounces off the metal and lightens it.. aaarrgg.. gotta get that mini tent and umberella from the camera shop.. anyway ...

post-2172-1194656191_thumb.jpgpost-2172-1194656144_thumb.jpgpost-2172-1194656262_thumb.jpgpost-2172-1194656323_thumb.jpgpost-2172-1194656370_thumb.jpg[attac

ment=17301:IMG_1680.JPG]post-2172-1194656464_thumb.jpg

.JPG]

took forever ... had to go into my company van too get the right light.. geez.. it was a bear.. but this is the results of how I do the TI..

add on.. your eyes will not be true.. I made these very dark.. took day's.. but if you put the watch up to a mirror you will get the true colour to your brain.. or maybe mine is just alway's tired :lol:

this is in between TI and PVd

post-2172-1194656412_thumb.jpg

post-2172-1194656526_thumb.jpg

Awsome post! Thanks Lani!

Ok, its not gen, but who gives a S*&T! People mod their gens too!

I think this is a really nice alternative to PVD. Love the color. IMHO, nicer than PVD.

I've been wanting OxyClean a Panerai...but first I have to buy a titanium watch. Also have such a long list of things I want to do!

The only thing I dont like about titanium is the weight. I love the feeling of a heavy watch. Titanium is too light. But, its such a pretty metal...I think I'm going ot have ot buy one!

Im not into bling, but saw a polished titanium F.P. Journe the other day. Beautiful! So also toying with a polished Pam177.

Titanium is supposed to be a [censored] to polish. But result can be amazing. Once again, it won't be factory original...but who's to say it was a gen watch I had polished? ;)

Make sure you take the Tachy ring is removed!!!...Or else we'll BOTH have a "Franken" 192!!!...

IMG_5416.jpg

The guy I got this from did it!!....But...I like the less cluttered look... ;) ;) ;)

No need to disassemble the watch.. with the way I do it the Tach ring will not be affected.. that's the reason it takes me so long.. i don't boil the watch casing... I do the zoxidizing with the whole watch intact..it's like watching paint dry.. :p

Bracelet no problem - lovely dark tantalum colour, but just can't get the case right, tried numerous times, numerous recipes, including pre-treatment with acetic acid and soap/water to remove oils, but no dice - VERY frsutrating :cry:

Try some elbow grease.It works fine for "oxidising " steel items.