When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bell & Ross 03-92 Gen vs Rep Mini Review

rangers158

Here is a mini comparison between my gen BR03-92 and the rep. I was pretty excited knowing that a BR03-92 was released some months back. However, upon comparing the pitures from the dealers and some members, it seems that the rep is not close to gen compared to some recent release like the Corum Admiral's Cup or IWC aquatimer chrono (just out). On to the pictures... I took Angus's pics for comparison...

From the front, it looks very close. PVD is also close because the gen is strictly speaking not the usual bead-blasted type of PVD we see in PAMs.

Gen

IMG_8452.jpg

Rep

BNR-BR3-27.jpg

Basically the case is too thick and I believe they have copied the BR03-94, chrono casing instead. Also notice that the groove on the side of the case is wider and recessed. The rep crown looks accurate though.

Gen

IMG_8454.jpg

REp

BNR-BR3-29.jpg

The back of the watch is also quite well done for the rep. With the exception of the placement of the screw hole for the stem release, both are similar. Again, note the pvd on the rep is very close to the gen.

Gen

IMG_8456i.jpg

Rep

BNR-BR3-28.jpg

The buckle and the rubber strap is spot on, both texture and feel. Gen is slightly more rounded on the edge of the buckle.

Gen

25112007113i.jpg

Rep

BNR-BR3-30.jpg

Lastly the lume on the gen is blue, rep is green markers / blue hands. It does not glow as brightly as C3 lume but it is very visible in the dark. This shot is taken 1/8s exposure in the day time to show how it will look indoors in a slightly darkened room.

IMG_8465.jpg

Overall, I think the rep is already quite good in the overall look and feel of the watch. PVD is also quite close on the rep. However, the case thickness is disappointing. The BR01 reps which have the same thickness as the BR03 gen, can be made but it cannot be done for the BR03. Perhaps it is the thickness of movement.. I do not know for sure. AR should be the same when I compare my rep BR01 with my gen. So the single side AR on the Rep should look the same as gen is single AR as well.

Also it is missing the distictive groove on the side of the case. Basically I think they have copied the chrono case instead. Lume is also wrong for the rep for this version. At about $180 a pop for the rep, I feel it is a little steep given that it comes with a unproven asian 4813 movement. My BR01 rep cannot manual wind now and the second hands seems to jump around when turning the crown at times. So the quest is still on for a ultimate Bell & Ross, maybe in 2008???

very nice, helpful review :victory:

interesting that the strap is spot on -- i feel like i remember some people complaining about the strap...:g:

i'm curious -- how is the sweep of the asian movement compared to your gen?

deltatahoe

ps, nice lume shot -- kudos for creating a lume shot that accurately depicts what the watch actually looks like :tu:

I've got the s/s /black/white BR03-92 version, and it's been a joy so far. In fact, this is the only watch I've been wearing lately. Just love it. The thicker case actually has served its purpose. I have not gotten any crown rash on my wrist... :lol: Time-keeping wise it gains about a minute for 4 days, which is not bad. I am personally OK with gaining time. If it were loosing it, I'd be dissapointed...Thus, so far it's been a smooth ride...Cheers, Greg B. :D

Thanx for the review.

This watch is on my 2008 list. ran out of money in 2007 :p

Great post. I think it goes to show just how much of an improvement ajoesmith's B&R PVD really is. I do think, however, that the gen B&R is bead blasted. It would appear to be to me in the pics, anyhow. The PVD itself, however, is definitely a darker/blacker PVD than the 8-9 year old PAM PVD. My guess, and it's just a guess, is that the B&R is coated with AlTiN as opposed to TiAlN.

Great post. I think it goes to show just how much of an improvement ajoesmith's B&R PVD really is. I do think, however, that the gen B&R is bead blasted. It would appear to be to me in the pics, anyhow. The PVD itself, however, is definitely a darker/blacker PVD than the 8-9 year old PAM PVD. My guess, and it's just a guess, is that the B&R is coated with AlTiN as opposed to TiAlN.

The genuine is not described as having PVD at all, but rather "black carbon powder coating". The tech sheet also confirms that the case is glass bead blasted.

Thanks for the nice review. Makes me feel even better about my watch. The biggest flaws I see are the lume and the finish on the front screws. The screws are too shiny on the rep. I love the rep. Wore it yesterday. I like the rubber strap (have the velcro too).

My hand sweeps very nice.

Here's mine. Should have cleaned the watch before taking the picture.

2504054220102340968S600x600Q85.jpg

• 4 months later...

Very nice review. I do have a question though. Is the PVD Ajoesmith's or the stock anodized rep? The reason I ask is that I just bought one from another member with Ajoe's PVD. I then immediately marched over to the AD to compare to the gen. I thought the PVD was remarkably close in color and sheen - perhaps a tad light and a little flat and sheen but certainly as close as would be possible without having the same shop do the work.