When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review of Rolex Yacht-Master Rolesium "Noob factory" version

By-Tor

9Bmz1uz.jpg

Why Yacht-Master?

My forum friends know that I've never been a fan of this watch. Not because I thought the Yacht-Master wasn't a nice looker, but because it simply wasn't a watch for me. And besides, it would be quite pathetic to wear the same watch as Dr. Phil.

All joking aside, this particular version of the YM is very, very good replica, and it certainly deserved a review. Stephane's wonderful pictorial finally did it for me. My only problem was "how?" I still didn't want to buy a watch that I supposedly would never wear.

The solution was Narikaa, our EU-based dealer, who agreed to borrow this watch for me, just for this writeup. I requested it myself, and even before I got back to my computer to reply his PM, the watch was already on its way. Once again, Reg shows why he's considered top class.

This particular YM rep comes from the same factory with the Noobmariner (arguably the best 16610 Sub out of box), "Noob" GMT (the best GMT Master II base ever), and the legendary correct hand stack Explorer II (the black version is probably the best Rolex replica ever). Actually I just received one of these today (later about that in another review).

The term "Noob factory" sounds a bit stupid. Actually it sounds extremely stupid, but just like "MBW" or "TW Best" it's good and useful way to refer to these particular Rolex models.

One very characteristic and unique feature on the "Noob factory" Rolexes is the thick "front rehaut", which is pretty much lacking from all other Rolex reps. MBW/TW models have thick crystals, but the genuine cylindrical look simply isn't there.

This photo of my "Noob" GMT Master II explains what area I'm talking about.

E2NfRYy.jpg

"Noob" YM has the same thickness and cylindrical rehaut shape, excellent dial (although not quite as good as the Noobmariner and GMT), perfect cyclops/datewheel position and thick crown tube.

There are 2 versions of the "Noob" YM, with very subtle differences. The another version has markings "SWISSMADE" at '6. That variation was reviewed by bklm1234. You can view his article HERE.

That version also has a little bit thinner date font. The markings on my watch is SWISS''MADE. That is just as correct, because genuines come with both dial variations. The date font is a bit bolder on my watch, which I like. I think this thicker date is closer to the gen. Other than that, there are no differences.

IhKUIFo.jpg

Yacht-Master was introduced in 1992, and the most popular model "Rolesium", which this watch is a replica of, 1997. "Rolesium" refers to "Rolex Platinum", which is a registered trademark. The whole bezel on the genuine YM is made of solid platinum. Naturally, this isn't the case with the $120 replica. How did you guess?

I have never seen a genuine YM in person, but I can only say that the rep bezel looks quite impressive and beautiful. Also the dial has very characteristic, "gnarled" look on the "Rolesium" version, which has been replicated nicely. Also notice the extremely long SEL (solid end link) on the bracelet. This kind of SEL is only used on the Yacht-Master. Gen YM doesn't have a deep rehaut, and neither does the rep.

The YM bezel teeth are a bit different from all other Rolex sports models, and to my eye the rep bezel looks spot on. The bezel should rotate to both directions, which is (again) accurate on the rep. However, the bezel rotation is way too loose on my watch. This should be an easy modification though.

w6kT270.jpg

YM uses the short and utterly pathetic "GMT/Explorer" clasp, which is used on genuine Yacht-Masters (as a default). The polished surfaces just make it look (and feel) a bit classier.

Crown is a little bit too thick, but extremely well defined. Maybe the best looking replica Rolex crown I've seen.

F5kAwWc.jpg

This particular Yacht-Master is available in Asian 21J movement, and also in Swiss ETA. The watch in my review is the Asian version, which Narikaa sells for 60 pounds (that's roughly 123 dollars). This price makes it one of the best "value for money" reps ever.

I always knew this was a brilliant rep, but I was still quite amazed when I finally saw it in person. While I'm still not the biggest fan of the Yacht-Master, the collector in me decided to keep this. While the YM is not a "dress watch" in traditional sense, I'm quite sure it'd look fantastic with a black suit.

If you're a fan of the YM (or Rolex generally), I highly recommed this rep, I doubt they can replicate this watch any better. My only complaints are the bezel rotation, and a little bit too small and thin YACHT-MASTER font on the dial. However, some members claim that there are variations on the font color. Other than that... brilliant! This watch proves again how amazing the "Noob factory" Rolexes are.

I'm also very surprised how much better this watch looks in person. It's a bit of an old cliché to say: "Pictures don't do this watch justice", but it certainly is the case with the Yacht-Master. Well... I tried my best.

FJuDXXJ.jpg

HpC2XqK.jpg

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I'm one of those unusual types that I am a YM SS fan.

I bought an ETA ROLY YM from Andrew a few months back, very impressed with the detail. I've visited a AD local to me to compare so I can mod where required.

Mods required:

1. CGs, I have not found a YM rep with correct CGs easy to mod, but very hard to make perfect.

2. Asian ver has soft teeth on the bezel and should be sharp, they are sharp on Andrew's ETA ver.

3. Asian has a better bezel inlay than the ETA one from Andrew, so I swapped it for the asian inlay.

4. Bezel clicks better on the ETA version (quite firm), asian too slack, moves too easy.

5. Cyclops is marginally too far right on the ETA, but correct mag.

6. Cheap asian (60GBP) is not bad for the money. But nowhere near the ETA ver.

7. Face fonts and colour very good on the ETA ver.

btw I have another YM TT on order from Andrew, might arrive before xmas.

When I have time (I work away from home most of the time) I'll take some pics to compare diff vers.

Great review and great watch! Of course we can assume that you are keeping it now right? ;) Come on, you know you want one!! :lol:

Thanks By-Tor, it truly is a great review!!

Thanks Dutchy. Yeah, I'm definitely going to keep this. :)

Hi, I'm one of those unusual types that I am a YM SS fan.

I bought an ETA ROLY YM from Andrew a few months back, very impressed with the detail. I've visited a AD local to me to compare so I can mod where required.

Mods required:

1. CGs, I have not found a YM rep with correct CGs easy to mod, but very hard to make perfect.

2. Asian ver has soft teeth on the bezel and should be sharp, they are sharp on Andrew's ETA ver.

3. Asian has a better bezel inlay than the ETA one from Andrew, so I swapped it for the asian inlay.

4. Bezel clicks better on the ETA version (quite firm), asian too slack, moves too easy.

5. Cyclops is marginally too far right on the ETA, but correct mag.

6. Cheap asian (60GBP) is not bad for the money. But nowhere near the ETA ver.

7. Face fonts and colour very good on the ETA ver.

btw I have another YM TT on order from Andrew, might arrive before xmas.

When I have time (I work away from home most of the time) I'll take some pics to compare diff vers.

It doesn't make any difference if the watch is an "ETA version" or "Asian version". They are simply reps from different factories. The ETA version you're probably referring to, is the old one with extremely pale and wrong "Arial" YM font, and datewheel & cyclops positioned far too right.

I thought the bezel teeth on this were pretty much spot on. :blink: Could you post picture of the better version?

Thanks Dutchy. Yeah, I'm definitely going to keep this. :)

It doesn't make any difference if the watch is an "ETA version" or "Asian version". They are simply reps from different factories. The ETA version you're probably referring to, is the old one with extremely pale and wrong "Arial" YM font, and datewheel & cyclops positioned far too right.

I thought the bezel teeth on this were pretty much spot on. :blink: Could you post picture of the better version?

that's interesting about the YM asian, as there are distinct differences between the two. If this is an old version I'll not be ordering from the dealer from one of our reg collectors. I even told him I was not happy with it, didn't get anywhere...

Face is too yellow, lume too yellow, the asian mov feels cheap - I suppose it is, lol. - ANy way I took the inlay off it for my ETA, so I have a few spares now.

I could not have got the noob factory ver.

I probably will not have time this weekend - only home for 1 day - to take some proper pics. But will take them the following week.

there are minor diffs between the asia and the eta models I have, less than a couple of months between buying them. Although from diff dealers

I might buy another from a diff dealer or from Andrew to check differences.

Althougth they should be from the same source/factory

I've got an ETA version coming from BK later this month and the wait is killing me!!!! I can't wait to get a hold of this watch. I happen to be a big YM fan and definately agree that while not a traditional dress watch this watch will definately not look out of place with a dark suit.

Great review.

Hi Bt,

One more great review and fantastic pics !

Thanks for the time and energy spent here once again.

You made me wand to wear mine right away :)

Cheers

Stephane

Thanks Steph. It was your review that made me buy this. I didn't even like it, but it looks so good on my wrist.

I hate to say "I was wrong", but I think I was (just a little bit at least). :)

Thanks for the review! An excellent read as always! :smile:

Impressed by the sharp crown, the logo on it was a bit pale, though. I had a Yachtie a while ago, and the smooth bezel clicks was what impressed me most. A good looking watch, my girlfriend loved it, but I found it but a bit too flashy.

Excellent Review!!!!!!!!!! Makes me miss the hell out of my YM......

Ditto and ditto!

I sold my TW a couple of years ago, and have been holding out for a 2892 version since, apparently in vain. The noobs look great but until they take the step to change the movement, all future improvements are going to be so minor that they won't make buying a new version worth it, IMO. How sweet would it be for a "noob" powered by the 2892 lite, solving the rehaut/crown position once and for all. What would that add to the cost? 20, 30 bucks? Once the basic package of rehaut/crown/bezel is in place, you could happily wear as is or mod to your hearts content. I've never figured out why they don't do this...but, hey, it's free to wait.