When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Breitling Blackbird Review

andreww

HEADER.jpg

Breitling Blackbird

The Newest Breitling Super Rep?

For Breitling, the name Blackbird traditionally refers to a special series designed on the basis of the Chronomat, (a special edition with black dial and brushed case) of the brand’s flagship model.

OLDBB.jpg

Original Blackbird, based on the Chronomat

The new Blackbird is an original chronograph distinguished by the strength of its design. It radiates a personality all of its own within the Breitling wrist instrument collection. At the crossroads between aesthetics and technical complexity, the lines of its case are highlighted by the contrast between satin-brushed upper surfaces and polished sides. As its name implies, the Blackbird chronograph is fitted with a black dial only, a color that contributes to its readability that is further enhanced by large hands and oversized luminescent hour-markers. Black bird’s legibility goes well beyond reading off the time. The calendar at 12 o’clock is composed of two separate indicators, one for tens and the other for units. This ‘large window’ calendar is driven by Breitling Calibre 44, chronometer-certified by the COSC.

What is even more astounding than the fact that the rep manufacturers have managed to produce such an decent replica of the Blackbird, is that they did it so quickly. In fact, our dealers had the rep available before I had even seen it in my local Breitling AD. But, is the Blackbird a “Super Rep”? The term seems to get thrown around quite freely these days, so lets take a good look at the Blackbird and decide for ourselves!

Watch.jpg

The Movement

The genuine Blackbird uses Breitling’s Caliber 44 movement. The Caliber 44 is based on an ETA 2892, and is modified with a date module. The movement in the replica Blackbird is a modified Asian 7750 beating at 28k, with the seconds subdial at the 3:00 position. Before you walk away in fear, with visions of the nightmarish 7750 with seconds at the 6:00, read on. The Zigmeister has taken apart one of these new movements, and I’m happy to report that the extra gears that are used to transfer the seconds to the 3:00 positions, are installed correctly, using jewel caps to reduce friction. The Zigmeister is giving this movement a thumbs-up (once serviced, as this version like all Asian 7750s, comes without lubrication from the factory). So, how is the subdial spacing affected by the use of the 7750 in lieu of the 2892? Lets wait until we look at the dial to tackle that question. The modded 7750 does function identically to the 2892 with seconds at 3:00, 30 minute totalizer at 9:00, and a 12 hour totalizer at 6:00. A large date module has been added with separate windows for each digit. However, the 7750 may look and act like a 2892, but unlike other “Super Reps” the movement, dial and hands are not likely to be compatible with genuine parts.

The Dial

When rep makers use a different chronograph movement in a watch, one always worries that the subdial spacing will be different. Luckily, with the Blackbird, subdial spacing seems to be very close, if not identical to the genuine.

dial.jpg

The dial on this one is pretty close all around. The hour markers seem to be slightly thinner than the gen, and the subdial numbers seem slightly smaller on the rep. The most notable flaw is that the date window is slightly wider on the replica. The post that divides the window is also noticeably wider on the rep.

DATE.jpg

Notice the size of the date windows and the width of the divider post

SUBDIAL.jpg

The digits on the subdials are slightly smaller than on the gen

The hands all appear to be proper lengths, and are accurately reproduced. Like most reps, the date digits do not seem to be centered in the date window as well as they are on the gen, and the individual digits seem slightly further apart. Though not perfect, this dial is just as accurate as those on other “Ultimate” watches.

The Case

The casing on the Blackbird is similar in shape to that of the Chronomat Evolution, but the top side is brushed in a similar manner to the Steelfish. The rep is listed at 42.5 mm whilst the gen shows at 43.7 mm. Case thickness is about 17 mm on both. The Bezel is brushed, and the markings seem both accurate and very crisp. The pearl on this one is not perfect, but not bad either. From what I have seen it is also the heart of the biggest QC flaw on this watch. Several of the Rep Blackbirds that I have seen had the pearls positioned noticeably closer to the right side of the rider tab. You may want to ask your dealer to be on the lookout for this flaw when ordering.

PEARL.jpg

Notice how the rep pearl is positioned off center

The crown is similar in appearance to the Evo, and the pushers appear to be accurate and properly positioned. The bezel is decorated with the signature Breitling “B” on the outer edge, next to the 12:00 rider tab

side.jpg

As good as the case is on the front side, the caseback is a letdown however. The genuine watch features a simple brushed caseback, with the words “Breitling Blackbird” embossed in polished letters. For some reason the rep makers have decided to do pretty much the opposite, a polished caseback with recessed lettering. The word “Blackbird” is also in a rectangular shaped box. Correct model number is, and serial number are also included.

CASEBACK.jpg

Unfortunately the caseback isn't even close

**EDIT

Thanks to member "pirvan" who found this image of a genuine caseback that is the same as the rep. Not sure if this is an early version or what the current version is, but its great news that the rep caseback is, or was at some point accurate!

NEWCASEBACK.jpg

The Crystal

It seems that one of the key features that members are looking for in watch these days is anti-reflective coating. The Blackbird does not disappoint, and comes equipped with deep blue, double sided AR. The sapphire crystals on Breitlings are some of the most beautiful around because they are shaped on the inside as well as the outside, removing any visual distortion when viewed from even the most extreme angle. Double coating with AR really makes the glass disappear. However, there have been varied reports about rep AR and its durability. AR is not scratch resistant, and is prone to smudges and fingerprints.

AR.jpg

Double sided AR is a hallmark on any Breitling

Conclusions

The name “Super Rep” gets tossed around quite freely these days, and IMO very few of the Super Reps are really worthy of the moniker. In this case I feel that the Blackbird, although a very good rep, falls short of Super Rep status. Because of non-compatibility with genuine parts or movement, poor quality control on the pearl placement, and the horribly inaccurate caseback (SEE EDIT), the Blackbird has just too many flaws. Having said that, it is still a very impressive piece, and from the front, the “tells” are hard to find. Until now the Blackbird has also only been available on leather. I have heard rumblings however that it is now available on a stainless steel bracelet at a cost approaching $500 (unconfirmed).

bracelet.jpg

Coming soon! Sneak peek at the rep SS bracelet

Thanks to all the members that have contributed images to this review. I am sorry that I have lost track of who shot what, but PM me if I’ve used one of your pics and I’ll add a credit for you.

Edited by andreww

1st class review Andrew.

I had considered this rep but I think I`ll hang on a while to

see if the factories sort out the back and pearl problems

The back on the gen looks like it has been stamped from the inside,

and as you say the rep isnt remotely close

great post, thanks for the effort

andreww, look the last pic of this gen blackbird review...

hxxp://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=3293395&rid=15205

The rep has a correct caseback ^_^

(I know that looking at the official Breitling website, the casebak is "wrong" but...the blackbird of the timezone review looks absolutly gen...)

Edited by pirvan

Very nice review. I really like the watch. If it's true that it will run close to $500 with the bracelet, then I might wait on selling mine and see if I can pick up a bracelet once they hit the market.

Joshua is selling it for $368 !! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Link to details here - The AR is so strong, the dial appears blue in all the photos !

Interesting stuff...

I wonder whether it would be worth it to wait and pick up a bracelet- I think this one looks much better on metal.

Good deal from Josh.

Contact the dealer you bought it from. I saw one member's dealer agreed to send the SS bracelet free of charge.