When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review of ROLEX Explorer II Frankenwatch

By-Tor

g6VZjy8.jpg

I bought my first white Explorer II rep in May. The writeup is here. I fell in love with the watch immediately. Unfortunately that watch had grey/silver hour marker surroundings, and datewheel/cyclops positioned too right. Another problem with the hour markers was that they were positioned too close to the seconds markers. The GMT hand was way too dark as well.

To get rid of the dial flaw I bought the black version, which has been reviewed here. The rep was brilliant, but besides the hour marker issue, the other problems were still there. And the black one didn't "speak" to me as much as the white.

Actually, when I wrote my reviews I wasn't aware that the factory had somehow screwed up this rep at some point, and introduced these annoying flaws later. This finally dawned on me when I saw avitt's picture of the old, much nicer version. Here's Avitt's brilliant photo of his watch:

xtT8kko.jpg

Being the geek that I am, I absolutely needed that best version. Traded my old ones, and I requested it from almost every single dealer. None of them were able to source it anymore. Only the new and inferior correct hand stack version was available. Bummer!

Be careful: Some dealers still use factory photos of the old version, but can only source the new one. I'm sure this is not intentional, because for an average guy the differences aren't so apparent.

Even the older (better) white version used those "gun metal" greyish hour markers. Though according to member reports the problem wasn't as bad on the old version. But either way, I had to rule the white dial out (unfortunately)... and settle for the black one.

So... I started to track down the members' Explorer II's, and PM'd Avitt, FEDERolex and a few other guys who owned this particular version, and tried to buy their watches. I think my offers were fair, but the guys didn't want to sell. Can't blame them, really. 

Finally, I found out that a member Kingkitesurf wasn't wearing his franken-Explorer II anymore, and considered to sell it. He had installed a genuine white dial into his watch, which was the best solution I could ever imagine. Black Explorer II is very nice, but like the seconds at '6 Daytona, white is the purists' only dial choice for the modern Explorer II.

So we negotiated a deal. The deal went smooth as a silk, just like all my other member trades during the years. Big thanks to Job, who's a perfect gentleman and a great guy to deal with! I was the new owner of his beautiful franken now.

8APoAtQ.jpg

I was really happy to finally get this rep. Genuine dial was a fantastic addition, and the rep overall is extremely accurate. It has good crown guards, excellent date mag/font, perfect long and thin (and not too dark) GMT hand, and correct cyclops position.

Otgfs4V.jpg[/center}

Because this ExpII comes from the same factory as the amazing "Noob" GMT Master II's. It has the same problem: Oversized crown, which should be replaced with a gen part. My watch has thinner and more accurate bezel numbers than Avitt's, but they're positioned a bit too close to the bezel edge. If you want perfection, you need to install the bezel from the new version (the number position is pretty much perfect, see my reviews).

Here's a photo of my genuine dial. Once again: Notice the perfect rehaut thickness and its cylindrical shape, which is characteristic for the "Noob factory" Rolexes. This is very important detail for me. Another thing that I never spotted before are the thicker "5 seconds" markers.

c7fvEV8.jpg

My watch has replica hands, which you can see from this photo very clearly. Compared to the Super Luminova coated hour markers the lume on the hands is utterly pathetic. Hands should be superlumed, and I'm considering to buy this mod eventually.

K0EPLO3.jpg

Explorer II has never been a huge seller in this community. I'm quite amazed that the black (old) correct hand stack version went virtually unnoticed, even when it was still easily available. Along with the correct hand stack "Noob" GMT the black version is (in my opinion) the best "out of the box" Rolex replica ever produced. That is the exact rep that was used to build my franken, and according to Job the genuine dial was a straight fit.

This review doesn't offer much for the members who are interested in the ExpII, because this version is almost impossible to find. I didn't even bother to discuss the (potentially) problematic correct hand stack ETA modification in this article. That was already covered in my two previous Explorer II reviews. 

But there's (probably) some good news for the ExpII fans: According to Angus (Puretime) there is a new version of correct hand stack Explorer II coming. I really hope the factories use this old case and construction as a base, and Angus has forwared my request to the factory. 

Yep, not much of a review. I just wanted to enjoy my new amazing white franken-beauty, and share the joy with you. I hope you liked the photos. I got some brilliant watches in 2007, and this ExpII was the perfect way to finish yet another year of rep collecting.

ZgIWjuE.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you liked it guys.

It has a lot similar wrist presence as the Daytona. Feels very compact, and definitely smaller than the Sub and GMT.

Very understated Rolex. Needless to say, I love it. :D

Yep, not much of a review.

Says who? An excellent review. Not as technical perhaps, but showing more of your machinations and perfectionism in getting just the right watch.

I just wanted to enjoy my new amazing white franken-beauty, and share the joy with you. I hope you liked the photos. I got some brilliant watches in 2007, and this ExpII was the perfect way to finish yet another year of rep collecting.

Brilliant stuff. Loved that Avitt allowed you to use his photo, and that others prized their ExpIIs so much, they wouldn't even consider parting with them, even at your no doubt fair price.

Me, because I'm a low-baller, I lost a very good version of a white-dial ExpII on RWI, just a few days ago. Someone picked it up at full price, and it had the darker not greyish markers, etc. DAMN.

But this End of Year review puts me to mind that I need to get this lovely watch sooner than later. Thanks for the effort, By-Tor!

Congrats on the Explorer II. I am glad that you finally got it. :smile:

Interesting news about the new series of Explorer IIs. I hope to find the "ultimate" one day. If not, I will have to buy the gen. White dial is a great looker!!

Wear it well.

By-tor, amazing watch. I have the latest expII with white dial, and felt the same way you did about it. SO I have a noob factory case with gen tube and crown and noob bracelet. I have found a gen dial, and I was just waiting to ask The Zigmeister if it would fit. Your watch has proved it has. I will also have the hands repainted and relumed. Your gmt hand is better than mine, hope The Zigmeister can fix that.

anyway, thanks for the amazing pics.

By-tor, amazing watch. I have the latest expII with white dial, and felt the same way you did about it. SO I have a noob factory case with gen tube and crown and noob bracelet. I have found a gen dial, and I was just waiting to ask ziggy if it would fit. Your watch has proved it has. I will also have the hands repainted and relumed. Your gmt hand is better than mine, hope ziggy can fix that.

anyway, thanks for the amazing pics.

Thanks man.

It's actually impossible to take a bad photo of the white Explorer II, it's such an easy watch to photograph.

Are you sure you have the old version case? On the new one the datewheel is positioned too right, and I suspect the gen dial wouldn't fit.

Amazing how some watches are forgotten.

The "modern" Explorer II deserve much more attention indeed.

Thanks for the great pictures once again BT.

Gen dials are really making a huge difference.

Your photo showing the contrast between the hour markers lume and hands shows that very clearly.

Unfortunately, luming the hands is a risky task as they might turn out to be too "fat".

I have a question: would genuine hands fit the mvt ?

Cheers

Stephane

Amazing how some watches are forgotten.

The "modern" Explorer II deserve much more attention indeed.

Thanks for the great pictures once again BT.

Gen dials are really making a huge difference.

Your photo showing the contrast between the hour markers lume and hands shows that very clearly.

Unfortunately, luming the hands is a risky task as they might turn out to be too "fat".

I have a question: would genuine hands fit the mvt ?

Cheers

Stephane

Tudor hands will.

By-Tor,

Glad to see happy with it. Pictures are amazing. I just didn't get to wear it a lot due to the other pieces in my collection. Wish we could wear ten a the same time. Hope you enjoy it!

I still have the gen hands available for you if you want them. Just PM me. They don't fit the movement so maybe better superlume the rep ones. I compared them and they look exactly like the gens.

It was a pleasure dealing with you.

I will probably install a gen crown to this watch eventually, so maybe I can find someone who can do both mods for me (in the EU area): lume the hands and install the crown.

I'm in a no hurry though.

Thanks again for all your comments guys. Appreciated.

My wife wears a Expl. II about 1 year now, but I don't know what version it is!

Maybe someone can tell me:

(BTW: I bought it from a board-member!)

http://www.250kb.de/u/071209/j/448cc049.jpg

http://www.250kb.de/u/071209/j/4d6bf560.jpg

http://www.250kb.de/u/071209/j/ac99aa41.jpg

http://www.250kb.de/u/071209/j/9168cf94.jpg

My wife wears a Expl. II about 1 year now, but I don't know what version it is!

Maybe someone can tell me:

(BTW: I bought it from a board-member!)

http://www.250kb.de/u/071209/j/448cc049.jpg

http://www.250kb.de/u/071209/j/4d6bf560.jpg

http://www.250kb.de/u/071209/j/ac99aa41.jpg

http://www.250kb.de/u/071209/j/9168cf94.jpg

Your wife's ExpII is the best version. Same as my base watch, and 100% same as the Avitt's watch. Consider yourself lucky... that version can't be sourced anymore.

By-tor, I bought what I pray is a noob factory exp II, everything but movement, from a dealer here.

here is a pic of the current case with the date mag way right

expIInew.jpg

here is the noob case with much better mag placment

expIIold.jpg

another point about the noob case is the better crown placement

current case (sorry for the aweful pic)

expIInewside.jpg

here is the noob case

expIIoldside.jpg

here is the noob dial, everything is pretty good, except the the grayish markers

DSCN5861.jpg

I when i get this all together, I will post some pics as I said. sorry for the hijack, I just love EXP II threads.

DSCN5599.jpg

Edited by its_urabus

Your wife's ExpII is the best version. Same as my base watch, and 100% same as the Avitt's watch. Consider yourself lucky... that version can't be sourced anymore.

Thank's By-Tor! Nice to read that...

This nice words will be my wife's christmas-gift: "Darling, you have the best version ExpII, consider yourself lucky to wear such piece! That's my gift for you..." :slap:

Hmmm, maybe it's not my best idea... :black_eye:

my wife loves my exp II, but I told her no way is she wearing it... I guess you are a kinder soul than I am omega...

Maybe you are right, but now it's too late. <_< Take only a look how many scraches there are on the watch, by wearing it (only) 1 year! :angry2:

Sometimes when I'am cleaning the watch, it seems that my wife's job is a bricklayer... :lol: