When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Dewitt Academia Chrono Review - First off the block

rangers158

The watch has an unique design with the use of rose gold, titanium and rubber. Either you love it or hate it out right. It can be considered gaudy to some but haute to others. The replica is pretty costly but considering the quality and price of the gen, in my opinion, it is still good value for the money. On to the pictures:

The details on the dial is simply amazing. The striaght lines running down the centre of the dial, concentric circles on the subdial, windmill second hands and the rose gold numerals are all very well done. It replicate the depth and texture of the dial perfectly. The markings and numbers are also printed sharp and crisp.

IMG_8544i.jpg

The watch itself is very light being titanium and the rose gold is plated in the correct colour tone. However, the rubber is rather stiff and it is not very comfortable for smaller wrist wearer as the rubber makes the clasp press hard on your wrist. You have to cut the rubber strap to also size it. So you have to cut one section at a time cause there is no turning back if it is too small.

IMG_8541.jpg

Next, you can see the AR is blue but not the strongest like what we see in the Hublot. This is the same double AR seen in the newer Ingeneiur and Chopard GTXL. Though not the best, it is sufficent to make the dial very visible in all angles.

IMG_8543.jpg

As you can see, the black portion on the side of the case is actually rubber or plastic. It is quite interesting to see that the replica managed to blend the rubber into the various parts of the watch.

IMG_8537.jpg

The crown and pushers are very detailed. Rubber parts are seen here in the crown and pushers as well. The quality of these parts are excellent and should be second only to the gen.

IMG_8535.jpg

The rotor is engraved and looks exactly like the gen. The CDG is not as finely finished just like all other replicas.

IMG_8548.jpg

Lastly shot of the strap and the buckle.

IMG_8539.jpg

IMG_8538.jpg

Wristshot.

28122007192_resize.jpg

This is truly a fine replica and the quality of the finish is excellent. So if you like the watch, you can be assured you will not be dissappointed...

Edited by rangers158

Excellent review -- very tempting!

awesome review. i really like the looks of the watch. what size leather strap would it take? my small wrists do not cope well with stiff rubbers. how does the windmill subdial work? Like the arms on a windmill turning? But I also see a red subdial hand....does that turn with the windmill arms as well?

TIA

bosk

Beautiful photos. I love a see-thru caseback on the 7750 movement, just because of its depth and design. Not enough 7750 models have this feature, and that is a shame.

The watch itself is interesting! Kind of gives off a "circus" vibe, but hey, it's important to get something different every now and then! There can be only so many SS subs.

• 2 weeks later...

nice pics and great rep...like a lot of you would agree, a bit too much pricey at the moment for me...lately this RG versions of different reps coming out have been growing on me...

just read the reply from PureTime on my question of why it is so damn expensive...the reply was because is difficult for the rep makers to do the case construction combining SS (gold plated) with rubber and titanium and he said that the rep makers told him that the dial is a piece of art too...

will I be a lucky owner of this one? who knows?! maybe if River comes out with his unbeatable offers... ;)

wear it well and tnx 4 the review!

BTW, shouldn't the buckle be as well in RG or RG+SS?...I think on the gen is one of these two combos?!

Edited by dadog13

Great review and pictures. At last something that's most exciting than the Sub/APROO/HBB..........

The watch looks of excellent build quality almost second to none. Despite some flaws still obvious on the dial/subdial, but seems of no big issues, afterall how many gen. Dewitt you will ever encounter on the street anyway.

Interesting to see the caseback screws are of some kind of special design, wonder how to remove the back to take out the movement.

100% on my list for the next collection.

Great review and pictures. At last something that's most exciting than the Sub/APROO/HBB..........

The watch looks of excellent build quality almost second to none. Despite some flaws still obvious on the dial/subdial, but seems of no big issues, afterall how many gen. Dewitt you will ever encounter on the street anyway.

Interesting to see the caseback screws are of some kind of special design, wonder how to remove the back to take out the movement.

100% on my list for the next collection.

hi just wondering what obvious flaws in the dial that you are talking about?

thanks

hi just wondering what obvious flaws in the dial that you are talking about?

thanks

If you go to the DeWitt official site, then you can compare clearly.

- Hour numerial markers should be flat

- Wrong fonts for the "CHRONOGRAPH"

- Windmill blades on subdial are slightly shorter on gen.

But as said, these will be hardly noticable since you won't easily come across of seeing a gen. DeWitt on the street.

Tried to purchase one of these from puretime.Once paid he said he has none and gave me a refund.I know king has them but she wants me to give her my credit card details but im not sure if this is safe.help

There is no problem in my opinion to give King you Credit Card. Most of the dealers do the same!

You will be fine... I promise!

Good Luck..

-MM