When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Speedmaster Domed crystal

Skidbaecken

This was the main thing that stopped me buying a rep moonwatch and pushed me towards a gen. For gens I've read of people swapping out the Hesalite for Sapphire on the standard 3750 but it isn't cheap, not heard of anyone do it to a rep but I am ready to be corrected. 50th Anniversary is meant to have domed Sapphire (but not a display back as on that rep).

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

i Love the display back, gen owners can order display backs for $3XX dollars, and many do. as for the domed crystal i have a hesalite one from my Alpha speedmaster, looks like it might fit, but i dont wanna try and find out ruining my watch in the process... If the crystal bothers you then the sub dial spacing would be worse. If you're going for as close to gen as possible get the speedmaster "reduced" rep. But as it stands the speedmaster rep is STILL one helluva of a nice watch, just gotta accept the differences.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
here are some pics of the swap ;)

3312952035_36823c9a7b_o.jpg

3313778570_5c0e4bafd0_o.jpg

3312951721_5a14317aa3_o.jpg

3312951627_69fa80529d_o.jpg

That mod makes it look so much better.

I currently have a saphire crystal & have been hoping to find someone who had fitted a plastic domed crystal.

Can you tell me where you got your crystal from?

I would appreciate any advice you have regarding this fantastic mod.

kind regards

Lazoon. (UK)

Looks great doc, let us know Tommy how the swap went with the Moon. You can source gen solid casebacks here and there to further the mods, but it 'aint cheap and you may not want to go the full Monty on a 'cheap' Moon. Still........................

So................what's up with the 'nick change? Flashman, is from Tom Brown's School Days Yes? And that avatar, you're not an Eton man are you? Gordonstoun?

I'd hold off on spending any money modding existing speedys. Josh has already stated that a new moonwatch is in the works with the proper subdial spacing. Best to save your pennies and get the whole watch when its done right ;)

+1 and add as many zeros as you would for effect, I demure as to not eat bandwidth, but aside that I would fill the next two pages.

Thanks for the heads-up Andrew. This is great intel and a reason for new found 'paying attention with regard'. I just may have to buy a replica watch after a three year hiatus.

When I saw the thread title, "Speedmaster Doomed crystal"

I was expecting a Nanuq-esque post about a watch crystal which had met with a rather unfortunate demise with graphic, stomach churning pictures.

Seems I was wrong.

Happy hunting.

JTB

:lol:

Picture this;

A mountain bike precariously perched on the edge on the smoldering crater rim of 'Redoubt'. Vintage 6542 GMT strapped to the cross bar.

Caption:

A local geologist friend with whom I jam (and owes me favor regarding that Kodiak and his youngest, another thread altogether) got me a pass and full clearance. One hundred meters down from 3108m ASL rim altitude, at an angle of 70 degrees, core temp 1250 degrees C. Let's see how "Trustytime" 's 'best' holds out, shall we? Pictures at 11. If she blows again, pictures will be from 30,000m. :Jumpy:

I'd hold off on spending any money modding existing speedys. Josh has already stated that a new moonwatch is in the works with the proper subdial spacing. Best to save your pennies and get the whole watch when its done right ;)

Don't want to correct you but Josh stated: 'The Speedmasters are next in line'. That doesn't mean they will rep the moonwatch. There are a lot more models of the Speedmaster. IMO they probably won't rep the Moonwatch as the correct sub dial spacing is achieved by an A7750 and because the Moonwatch is a hand wind.... you get the picture. Maybe they will rep it with a solid case back but than again you will have an automatic movement instead of a handwind.