When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review: Montblanc Sport Chrono [Updated 03/03/2008]

SWATCHman

Introduction

UPDATED PASSAGES IN THIS UGLY COLOR

I odered this watch from Silix a couple of days ago. I guess it's not different from the ones the other dealers sell. I made a few pictures to show you the good

and the bad of this rep.

Firstly the overall impression of the Sport Chrono is quite nice. Subtle AR coating on the crystal, nice dial with a distinguished style. Nice tight bezel with crisp

print. The chrono works flawlessly but the pusher at 2 o'clock is pretty tight, so have to push it like hell to start the chrono function.

The reset pusher is similarly stiff. So once you succeed to push it, it kind of slams the hands back to their starting position. Im curious how long the center

seconds hand will take this kind of abuse. Quality of movement assembly seems ok to me. The winding mechanism detaches nicely when the crown

is screwed down. Setting the time feels a little bit stiff, but a lot better than the wobbly feel of my Tag Aquaracer. Winding is ok as well.

Now for the Pictures

As you can see the dial layout is scaringly accurate. The Seconds hand is as long as the gen, nearly touching the rehaut. Minutes and hour hands are perfect

in length as well. The Hour hand on the gen may be a tad fatter, but not by much. The surface has a strange sheen though. Looks a little bit like cheap plastic.

AS A MATTER OF FACT THE GEN HAS AN IDENTICAL DIAL FINISH. THEY HAVE IT ON DISPLAY AT OUR AIRPORT WITH A LOUPE INSTALLED TO SLIDE OVER

THE DIFFERENT MODELS. SO I HAD A CHANCE TO TAKE A REALLY CLOSE LOOK THE OTHER DAY. IT LOOK EXACTLY THE SAME 10 OUT OF 10.

I could not find any large pictures of the gen for comparision, but I will take a trip to the mall on the weekend to compare it with the real thing. The print on

the dial is really good. Everything is where ist should be. The markers are positioned perfectly as well. All subdials are correct too. The bezel print is a real

kicker. It is flawless compared to the gen. THE LUMINOUS DOT AT 12 IS TOO BIG THOUGH PLUS IT IS NOT LUMINOUS. Two things are clearly off:

Firstly the the date font is incorrect. But you would need to compare it side by side

to notice. Secondly the the circular indent in the center of the dial is extremely shallow. WRONG AGAIN, IT IS EXACTLY THE SAME 10 OUT OF 10 ONCE

MORE. SAME SHALLOWNESS AS THE GEN.

I would give the dial 5 out of 5 points.

01-1.jpg

The lume is clearly above average on this rep. Initially it glows like hell. But compared to Superluminova it fades pretty fast and does not last all night.

THE LUME IS ALSO GREENISH ON THE REP. ON THE GEN IT IS PURE WHITE.

Markers and hands have the same color and intensity, another plus. The lume is applied somewhat unevenly compared to the gen. I guess it is tricky

with this watch, since the lume is extremely pointed towards the center of the dial. There is noteable quality

difference when compared to the gen.

Lume and lume application gets 3 out of 5 points.

04-1.jpg

The date magnification seems to be off as well. The mag lens is on the inside of the crystal, unlike with Rolexes. The placement is fine, but the magnification

seems to be higher on the gen. Not terribly but noticeably.

The date gets 3 out of 5 points.

15.jpg

The engravings are very good on this rep. Both on the case and on the caseback. But the edges are not polished so they are pretty sharp. You can't see it

but you can feel it. But compared to the razor sharpness of i.e. the IWC Ingeneur engravings, the Montblanc is considerably better.

Engravings get 4 out of 5 Points in my book

03-1.jpg

The overall finish of the case looks very good. No sharp edges, chrono pushers look perfect. The growngurads are great too. The crown feels feels smooth,

it has obviously been polished. The lugs are a perfect fit with the bracelet. No visible gaps, great. The Montblanc logo on the crown is a little bit off center

and there is a small irregular gap beween logo and the rim of the crown. But this is hardly noticeable.

The Case gets full 5 out of 5 points.

07-1.jpg

06-1.jpg

08-1.jpg

The only real turnoff is the bracelet. There are numerous flaws, the biggest of them being a general razor edginess. It has the silky smotheness of tank tracks,

both on the inside and the outside. All sharp edges are acceissable, so the problem can be resolved with filing and sanding, but it's a lot of filing and sanding

since the sharp edges are countless. What looks like small screws are in fact pins. My watch smith claims the gen has screws, but I'll have to check that at the

mall as well. The Montblanc trademark at the first link of the bracelet is not ingraved but inserted into into the link, probably glued. On my bracelet it does not

sit level but crocked adding yet another sharp edge to the lot. The double folding clasp works nicely, but the the filing marks on the sides are too visible for

my taste. Again bad finish. MEANWHILE I SANDED THE BRACELET. IT STILL HASN'T THE GEN FEEL TO IT, BUT IT'S COMFORTABLE NOW AND THOUGH

IT STILL DOES NOT FEEL QUITE RIGHT, IT LOOKS VERY ACCURATE ON THE WRIST.

The bracelet gets a 2 out of 5 due to a severe lack of finish.

14.jpg

13.jpg

12.jpg

11.jpg

Apart from the bracelet the Montblanc Sport Chrono is a pretty great rep. It is prove that there are great reps outside the Panerai, Rolex, IWC and Breitling

Omega circle. If this watch was an Omega, it would be labelled "ultimate". But most importantly it looks great on the wrist. THIS WATCH HAS ACTUALLY

BECOME ONE OF MY FAVORITES. THE FLAWS ARE QUITE MINIMAL AND EVEN WATCH EXPERTS WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO SPOT THIS WATCH AS A REP,

UNLESS YOU LET THEM TOUCH THE BRACELET THAT IS. THE DESIGN IS CLASSY, YET SUBSTANTIAL. IT IS DECORATIVE BUT NOT BLINGY. LIKE THE

MONTBLANC PENS IT HAS CHARACTER AND STYLE. NOT A "MUST HAVE" BUT CERTAINLY A "NICE TO HAVE".

16.jpg

17.jpg

Edited by SWATCHman

The Montblanc Sport Chrono is a nice looking watch and a has a stylish "flair" for a sports watch. This would look as good with a suit as it would with shorts and teeshirt.

Excellent review and some really nice shots - Thanks SWATCHman !! :thumbsupsmileyanim::thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thx for that complete review ! B) It's really nice having rare reps reviewed.

For the pushers, all my 7750 based reps have this behaviour, which I would describe as normal. Difficult to judge.

I was not aware that the star on the bracelet was stuck and not engraved, good finding.

For the bracelet, I am a bit more positive : I find mine to be obviously better finished than what you experience. I did not notice the raw edges on the clasp, although it's a really delicate point for me (I had a terrible experience with a Patek Nautilus). Now that you mentionned that, I checked again the thing on mine, and found that it was light enough that I did not see it the first time. Are the pictures emphasizing the problem or is the reality as average as what you show ?

It would be interesting to have a third opinion on the bracelet, as also I did not notice sharp edges. So we should try to know if it's (as it may happen) a bad batch or a real issue on all the watches.

Overall an excellent rep IMO, although you're right, the datefont and cyclope could have been better...

Great macro shots !! :clap3:

post-4381-1201350387_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...