When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review: Omega Speedmaster date (panda)

Rolexman

Dear all,

For the ones who don't know me. I'm a long time rep collector and enthousiast but the last couple of months I've been slowing down. The main reason is I don't like much of the new reps that are coming out. I hate the rubber straps so there goes the B&R, HBB, Picot, Porche etc.

I own or owned pretty much all of the 'super' reps. So I know what makes a rep 'super' . I only try to buy reps that are as good as it gets out of the box. I don't like the reps that first need a lot of mods.

After I first saw the Speedmaster date I didn't think much of it. But then I saw Lanikai's post of the three different dial versions and it got my attention. After some research on the web and visiting my local AD it kinda grew on me. Some members already pointed out some flaws (date font, caliber# on the rotor etc.) but to me, those flaws are neglectible. No one will ever notice...

Overal I would say this watch can be classified as a 'super rep'. The construction is suberB and it has the two tell signs of a genuine Omega:

- Serial# on the lug and

- 'Omega planet' hallmark engraved on the case back.

It also has single sided AR and all the other proper markings.

The one thing I noticed on this rep was the solid crown, stem and tube assembly. Even with the crown pulled out there's no slack what so ever. It's also nice and heavy (160gr).

I greased all the seals (crown, pushers and case back). I pressure tested it at 6 ATM with my self-made pressure tester (see 2nd page) so it's good for swimming. After some fine-tuning the movement runs almost spot on (+1 sec/ day).

But don't let me bore you. I will let the pics speak for themselves ;).

The overal finish is very good.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Single sided blue AR (like the gen)

3.jpg

Nice and thick case

4.jpg

5.jpg

High quality engravements all over the watch.

6.jpg

7.jpg

Perfectly etched/ engraved 'Omega planet' hallmark. A tell sign of a gen Omega (>2006?)

8.jpg

Nice and clear serial# on the back side of the lug.

9.jpg

The bracelet also has all the correct engravements and is nicely finished.

10.jpg

Crisp clasp fold engravement. I don't know it the markings are correct though.

11.jpg

Nice and deep engraved clasp (shuts and closes very well). No gap or other issues.

12.jpg

Movement and rotor shot (Whilst I was greasing all the seals, so no camera set up)

13.jpg

Inside of the case back, very detailed and crisp but again, no camera set-up so a little blurry.

14.jpg

I hope you enjoyed the review.

Before I forget.... Precious Time delivered this baby to me in 2 days. As you may already know Precious Time is my number one choise. No one can beat his quality and delivery time :thumbsupsmileyanim: .

Edited by Rolexman

Nice pictorial & great pics. I will link this to the Omega Guide.

But one humble request: Could you resize the pics to 800x (width)? The page takes forever to load now.

Thanks again!

For the ones who don't know me. I'm a long time rep collector and enthousiast but the last couple of months I've been slowing down. The main reason is I don't like much of the new reps that are coming out. I hate the rubber straps so there goes the B&R, HBB, Picot, Porche etc.

Truer words have never been spoken. I have no idea what the manufacturers are thinking. Instead of jumping on the opportunity to rep some truly magnificent watches, like the Calendar models from Patek Philippe or make some new $98 additions, they are wasting their time creating monstrosities on rubber straps that they then sell us for $400 a piece. Just look at the new Alain Silberstein. Why not just use existing technology to make a reliable Daytona? I don't know...

Looks very well finshed. Great Pics!

Thanks

Can't the pics!?!

What happened?

Try again. I resized them.

Wow,.. incredible pictorial and review.. I just put that model on a HK Tan gator...

thanks RM for the time.... :D

Live Strong and Wear it Well

Pics please :)

Very tempted by this model. You haven't made it any easier Rolexman! ;)

I say gor for it, you won't regret it!

Thank you for your review.

You're welcome.

Great review and pictorial Rolexman!

Thanks. I know you like my reviews so I put in an extra effort :p.

here you go rolexman .... the genuine buckles should be here this week .. but IMO the alligator really dresses it up.. would look better with cuffs though

post-2172-1202260822_thumb.jpg ... chestnut

post-2172-1202260843_thumb.jpg

post-2172-1202260925_thumb.jpg ... antique oak

post-2172-1202261014_thumb.jpg

the vintage dial.. red and blue... i think I'll be getting a black one for it..

btw....that is one really solid looking watch. Must have taken replicating to another level. The attention to detail is amazing....I DONT wanttttt to waste anymore money on watchesssss

I have 4 SMPs - 007 SMP, White GMT, Electric blue SMP, Bond SMP.

I have 1 vintage 300.

I have 1 Railmaster

I have 1 PO

I have 1 Speedmaster

can't collect them all.....i need counselling.....

here you go rolexman .... the genuine buckles should be here this week .. but IMO the alligator really dresses it up.. would look better with cuffs though

the vintage dial.. red and blue... i think I'll be getting a black one for it..

Thanks for sharing Lanikai. Looks damn sweet. Maybe I'll go for the same combo in the future.

I was looking at this rep just yesterday on one of the dealer's website...

it said it was "copied" from a genuine as a sample...

so it makes it a "super" rep???

the dial looks just absolutely amazinggggggggggggg

I've seen a pic of the gen...

I think the only 2 flaws on the dial face is the "old" OMEGA logo with the clown feet [the gen has flat feet], & the date font is incorrect...

that's the only 2 things I can make out...

but having said that, this is ONE fa@#ken good rep...

can we call it a "super" Speedy???

• 3 months later...

Today I did a 'professional' test with my self made pressure tester. It passed the 6 ATM test so it can be stated it's safe for swimming :tu: . Considering it doesn't have a screw down crown it is pretty sweet....I did however greased all the seals and tightened the case back.

afb004bq9.jpg

Edited by Rolexman

Today I did a 'professional' test with my self made pressure tester. It passed the 6 ATM test so it can be stated it's safe for swimming :tu: . Considering it doesn't have a screw down crown it is pretty sweet....I did however greased all the seals and tightened the case back.

afb004bq9.jpg

Hi Rolexman,

I saw this post...and I need the info! That is an interesting looking device...details? Construction plans?

Looks great!!