When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Graham Chronofighter .. Oversize

lanikai

Graham Chrono Fighter ... Oversize

post-2172-1202167849_thumb.jpg ...............

post-2172-1202231153_thumb.jpg .... this picture of the genuine on the Graham London web site shows the chrono lever to be silver ,... the genuine is confirmed to be black.

post-2172-1202172390_thumb.jpg ..... you have to see the whole arm to get a perspective otherwise it will look to big... on just the wrist

post-2172-1202172461_thumb.jpg

I cannot locate any genuine specs regarding the movement other than it is a mechanical automatic

genuine:

movement on the rep:....A7750

diameter = 46 mm ; rep. = the closest i come is 45 mm, if measured from the crown it is over 55 mm..if measured from the lever.. well .. well over 60 mm

so with that said i would say the rep is 45

thickness on the genuine is 16.5 mm without calipers the rep comes very close..

weight... I think I can do forearm curls with this one..without the rubber strap, and just the case set, it feels like the breitling BB with it's bracelet on..

post-2172-1202175063_thumb.jpg.. a pic of the genuine in case there are doubters as to the replication with the black PVD lever

the case finish is IMO superb. unlike many reps where the brushed satin finish looks uneven and rough... this satin finish is done very nicely ,, sorry i should add that the case is SS.. the lugs resemble legs on a huge sea chest.. .. very unusual vintage design lines.. and a handsome contrast in polished to brushed/polished finish

I should have stated that this replication is made by the same maker who is responsible for the Porsche Flat 6 and other top end reps.. so expect quality in this one again..

and I must say this is a very interesting bezel shape .. sort of coned,... the bezel is brushed/polished on the sides and polished on the top of the bezel the side of the case is polished as are the lugs

post-2172-1202175188_thumb.jpg..the Dial ....As you see for yourself sausage (edit) Numerals at the 12 and closed 6 with hour markers, the hour markers are raised with SS outline...chrono seconds marked by numerals and tics are on the outer dial

the sub seconds at 3 and the minute chrono at 9the inner subs are sunken and the concentric rings are thinner on the outer sub and thicker on the inner sub dials..

I should note here that the subs appear to be bigger on the rep than the genuine.. although I need the black dial with white subs in the genuine to give a definitive view... so let's table this observation for now...Edit: the replication of the sub dials are spot on with the genuine.. no difference in size..the colour of the the sub second tics and the chrono hand appear to be the same as the Omega SMP chrono.. but the tics are more orange than the chrono hand which appears more red

post-2172-1202176214_thumb.jpg

the Hour, Minute and chrono hands are silver and the sub hands are black (permanent black)

the Graham is in raised glossy lettering as is the lettering below the sub dials

the Lume is glossy and resembles the Panerai submersibles in some respects as far as colour...

the Crystal .. is a Domed Double AR... and yes.. it has the "disappearing" qualities ... well done IMO ..ok..ok.. not as good as chieftain or k2222 but by makers standards very good.. SOSF quality

post-2172-1202176319_thumb.jpg ... check out the Lume.. this is in daylight with regular exposure ... and after being outside on a cloudy day..no charging under lights.. no camera tricks and it Glows.. great out of the box not as strong as Ziggy's SL .. but the lumes out of the box on these reps keep getting better and better

post-2172-1202176526_thumb.jpg ... Ok the biggest unknown of course has to be the lever...as you see. it is a three piece lever , held together with Allen screw..(my least favorite screw) the graham web site Say's this was used to give the chrono fighter a masculine technical look...they look like "star' allens actually .. so don't use a regular Allen wrench until you find out for sure.. they will surely strip if U use a regular Allen in them.. they are double sided front and back Allen screws so you will need two to be turned in opposite directions..

post-2172-1202177497_thumb.jpg ...bottom view

To Add an Edit: robertk... pointed out the history of the lever.. during WWII the RAF developed the (lever) or the whole timepiece (don't know if they came together or seperately). for their pilot's .. the extreme cold at altitude allowed them to don thick gloves making it difficult if not impossible to depress the chrono button on their instrument.. therefore the big 'lever".... thanks robertk for that bit of History ..... and yes, the sole function of the lever is to start and stop the chrono. the Chrono button is designed onto the crown (yellowmen reminded me of that..thanks YM).. it would appear that the arms that hold the lever also act as a CG of sorts..

Reset Pusher the reset pusher @10 is knurled and appears to be ADCL.. although avitt or someone with equal knowledge would have to confirm this.. no screw down... open pusher..

post-2172-1202177640_thumb.jpg ... the lever... well it does wobble . notice the the lever is not even with the ss piece in the middle.. the good news is this can be fixed.. of course by a good modder but, until then .. i went to the craft store .. got some felt and what I will do is remove the Allen screws and insert a felt shime between the lever and the arm holding the lever in place. the top portion of the lever is a pvd washer .. so the lever itself is a two piece part.. but the wobble is so slight that it will be remedied.. just a little tinkering .. i removed 80 percent of the looseness by compresing the lever with a jewelers pliers not to bend it..just light pressure on the arms of the lever,.. with a shim in the lever it should not be an issue, until it can get it to ziggy who can do it right

post-2172-1202178149_thumb.jpg ... but this .. is brilliant.. notice how the fit is on the lever housing to the case... BRILLIANT....there is absolutely no "air' or seam in between the housing and the case.. straight through from beginning to end.. .. I wish this maker could tackle the CG's on the Pam's... ok... I can dream

post-2172-1202179403_thumb.jpg

one thing I may add ... the finish on the lever is satin PVD .. I do not know what the finish is on the genuine.. members ..please comment on the genuine lever finish.. but I do plan at some point and time to remove it and refinish it, if needed and request avitts support or whatever it needs .. or maybe not..

post-2172-1202179473_thumb.jpg

The case back is to me, pretty impressive .. as far as the engraving of the British masters emblem the outside lettering could have been done a bit deeper but looks good none the less.

post-2172-1202179675_thumb.jpgpost-2172-1202179697_thumb.jpg .. the divers strap is very well done .. with Graham on either side.. no alpha numeric on the underside of the strap.... the buckle is pretty well engraved unlike some of last years reps......

but take a look at how it will look with leather as the lug width is a perfect 24 mm

post-2172-1202179883_thumb.jpgpost-2172-1202179921_thumb.jpg

this is an MP strap,.. the graham buckle is a 20 mm so available .. or two tall can custom build or HK tan.. wonder how gator would look on this ?

post-2172-1202180705_thumb.jpg

post-2172-1202180685_thumb.jpg

So in closing.. this is not a watch that everyone will love..... IMO.. it is not a rep that I would wear through an airport.. but definately a very masculine timepiece to say the least.. the lever is ... well.. you will feel it on your forearm..

this write up was for information purposes as you can tell it was done on the fly.... my intention for this thread is to give an outlook on the Graham Oversize.. you decide whom to buy it from.. I have my collector. you have yours...all watches that i post are my personal inventory and have been ordered and paid for by Me...

I hope this helps with your choice in this replication.. any questions about this piece ..please feel free to ask .. if I do not know I will direct you to someone who does or find the answer for you..(for the newcomers) or anyone for that matter

thanks for viewing .. whatever you choose to do....Live Strong and Wear it Well

Aloha

Lanikai

Edit add on;.. thanks to: Yellowman to bringing the pusher built into the crown to attention,

dluddy for reminding me to get some protein in me before too many errors occur,

TTk for tactfully and graciously allowing me to see the error in the name of this timepiece... shees TTK .. man,.. Overlord sounds so mystic..

ok ..no renaming the watches anymore.. :lol:

post-2172-1202180819_thumb.jpg

This watch is...one hell of a watch and on my mind more than others. Let us know your opinion.

I have seen several gens on clients and the Graham Chronofighter is a major league eye catcher. I have tried on the gen

and it is almost in the mail.

And one more thing - how is the lever on this one? Is it firm or wobbly?

This year I'll be broke before I say "Graham Chronofighter Oversize" but I feel like I really need it!

Great review Lani! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

It's certainly a very impressive watch, and judging from your review, a very well executed rep..........but much as I admire it, that lever is holding me back. I really like Graham's, and their slightly quirky look, but I'm waiting for a Swordfish - hopefully they can produce one that's up to current 'super-rep' standards, and preferably in black ;)

cheers,

prof

Great review Lani! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

It's certainly a very impressive watch, and judging from your review, a very well executed rep..........but much as I admire it, that lever is holding me back. I really like Graham's, and their slightly quirky look, but I'm waiting for a Swordfish - hopefully they can produce one that's up to current 'super-rep' standards, and preferably in black ;)

cheers,

prof

The swordfish from what I understand is still in the early stages of production but the maker (there are 3) at least one of them if not more is one of the "big 3" so quality should be very good.

Thanx for sharing Lanikai... what a huge watch! Impressive how they could replicate this kind of technology... one of the pushers is inside the crown! Amazing work of our chinese friends :D

Thanks YM for the detail .. my bad that was a "no excuse" point that I should have listed.. yes pretty cool actually ... the only function of the lever is to activate the chrono via the pusher built into the crown... let me add that to my post.. :p

thanks 4 the review!

I always like the particular style and look of the grahams...I will definitely pick one up...hopefully they will do other versions of this one as well...saw in another post a couple of really lovely models of this one...

only a month passed this year and already 3-4 reps came out that I have to have...seems that the 2008 will be an expensive year...

The debate over the color of the CG lever continues...

I believe that the CG lever should actually be SILVER with this dial color combination. See below...

GRM01.JPG

The black CG lever is found on models where the dial is all black. See below...

GRM02.JPG

Regardless, I like the look either way...I can't wait for mine to arrive! I need to pick up the pace of my workout to get my forearms a little bigger! :p

Great review Lani. I have always been intrigued by the graham's but have never ordered one <_<

Another correction - the 6 and 12 look like Sausage and not sandwich on the dial ;)

:lol: ... My bad.. DL.. better not skip lunch next time.. i was thinking sausage and what was on my mind was the East Coast pastrami... sausage and provalone cheese on rye that was waiting for me... :rofl:

thanks man.... still laughing.. i will edit it now

Nice review Lani......can I just correct you on one thing in your title.......this is not an Overlord...it's the Oversize....!

thanks N.. I will edit my post .. this is the Overlord III .. this would be a bear for them to get the colours correct IMO but what a cool name .. oh well

post-2172-1202253647_thumb.jpg

I just got mine in the mail today from Josh. GREEEEEEEAT watch!!! I have a small wrist, but the watch looks great on my wrist. If you don't own a Graham yet, and you like the feel of PAMs , this is the one you need to get. The pictures just don't do any justice to the quality & feel of the actual watch. :D

AP PETE