When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Where Do You See Expensive Watches Being Worn?

gdaddy

Another party tonight. An informal affair celebrating the 40th anniversary of my daughter's in-laws. Since we share grand children, we were invited. Forty or so mix of 50-70 year old couples and a few mid thirty somethings like my daughter. I would never have spent so much time looking at the watches a year ago, but I did a rough count of what was there. Two vintage Rolex Day Dates were the top line. At least six TT Datejusts. One steel Yachtmaster, (yeah, my son-in-law's rep) and the several ladies' presidents. I'm in my Andrew's quartz Brietling. Now, at least five of these people make seven figure incomes. (Actually, I know one of the heavies has at least one rep, but I've never seen him wear it.) No VC's, Pateks, RO's or any of the watches you would expect to see "rich" people wearing. I guess I am living in real "Millionaire Next Door" country. I think I'll save my Brueget rep until the next trip to Vegas. :)

The question: Where do you see people wearing the $25,000 genuine watches like the reps we buy?

Guest HeWhoIsLikeGod

Vegas! Also you will see them at the oscars and other award shows, but the people are paid to where them and give them back the next day. I would say there are very few people that just break out a 25000 dollars watch for any old party. Most people probably only have a couple really nice watches and they are probably reserved for the most formal of evenings. just my opinion.

I saw a woman wearing a TT ladies DJ at the dog park.

Come to India and you'll see a host of people wearing these kind of watches. Prominent among those who flaunt the $25000+ watches would be Polititians, Middlemen/ Fixers, FilmStars and ofcourse Real Estate Developers and property brokers - who are ona roll since the property prices have rise almost by 203-300% in the last 2 years.

In NY, Chi, LA wherever hedge fund operators, traders,venture caps, mutual fund managers hang out.

Best more public restaurant sightings:

The Ivy restaurant in LA

The Palm in the Hamptons

and Locke Ober in Boston for gen vintage strap calatravas and vacherons.

Key is that the price of the meal = the price of a great rep!

In NY, Chi, LA wherever hedge fund operators, traders,venture caps, mutual fund managers hang out.

Best more public restaurant sightings:

The Ivy restaurant in LA

The Palm in the Hamptons

and Locke Ober in Boston for gen vintage strap calatravas and vacherons.

Key is that the price of the meal = the price of a great rep!

Almost nowhere. I'm in virgin rep. territory.

I see them almost everyday... my clients mostly sport rolexes... usually solid gold...some with diamonds some without... i have a client with the solid gold rolex with diamond bracelent, and full diamond and ruby dial... it hurts my eyes when it glitters in the sun... but then again they are all asian... (as am I...) I think its an asian thing to go with gold rolexes and diamonds in the watches... have seen the odd patek... Audemars Piguet...

Just came from Sydney and it seems like quite a few people are well versed with Panerais. Was there to close a deal and the fella pulled out a 202. Very light watch. I had a feel of it and I thought it was too light for its badass look. Had a few people who mistook my 187 for the 202. Sydney is a wicked place, nice place to view watches... shopping... good eats.

Oddly enough, I see them everywhere. I have a habit of looking at people's wrists while I'm stopped at a stop light. I spotted a vew omega watches that way over the last few weeks. I spotted an expensive Patek on the hand of a man at costco. The only other place I see expensive watches is on TV. I haven't found a place where expensive watch entheusiests congregate in my town.

Very rarely do I see an expensive watch. My barber has a gen Omega which is nice and when I went into a blind shop a couple of weeks ago, the woman owner had a very bling TT Rolex which looked gen and kinda went with the new Merc parked outside!

Apart from that, I forget the last time I saw anything even slightly expensive. A girl at work wears a replica rolex though which isn't a very good rep and knowing her background, makes it totally unbelievable.

K.

See loads around generally out and about at night or even at day but I guess thats mostly the work crowd, I have a few fellow watch fans at work and generally in this area is full of stockbrokers / bankers types. Have spotted several Panerai (saw a gold Radiomir at dinner last night), Patek's, Rolex's, Cartier's (most popular).

Most recent would have to be this morning saw a guy getting out of a freshly washed black X5 (dont they just look lovely) wearing a submariner going into blockbuster as I was coming out.

Edited by exper

There is one prominent neurosurgeon who I work with and he owns several tourbillions, from Breguet to Lange & Sohne. Also owns Pateks, UN's. They are all gens. He is from a very prominent family and he does all his operations for free, so money is not an issue for him. Most of the time I have seen really nice watches on wrists is when I am in Asia, especially Tokyo, Seoul , HK and Singapore.

Eddy

I was on a carribean cruise a month back (Seadream Yacht Club). Ship carries 110 passengers. 3 couples with matching gold Presidents, a Panerai, 2 IWCs, a couple of subs (tt & ss),and several Breitling aerospaces....I was amazed. Me:rep PAM 005 and gen Oakley..Wifey: gen Corum bubble....

#1 spot for watches? Try an autorace, not sure about NASCAR but at a Formula 1, ChampCar, ALMS, FIA GT race I am always amazed by the watches, especially if you get into the hospitality suites. The best venue for wathces, based on my experience is Laguna Seca (California, outside of Carmel). I was in the top suite there for an FIA GT races and a ALMS races and was amazed at the watches, one support race was the Lamborgini Series, and each of the participants appeared to be wearing a Daytona. I guess you should expect this if you have millions to ship a Lamborgini around the world for weekend racing!!

Quite a few Champcar drivers wear top end watches, Panerai seems popular and are worn by Jimmy Vasser and a few others!!

Go for the watches and watch some racing also!!

TimeShare

Edited by TmeShare

Come to India and you'll see a host of people wearing these kind of watches. Prominent among those who flaunt the $25000+ watches would be Polititians, Middlemen/ Fixers, FilmStars and ofcourse Real Estate Developers and property brokers - who are ona roll since the property prices have rise almost by 203-300% in the last 2 years.

I spend a bunch of time in Mexico and high end watches are very popular, but not many of the $20k+. I deal with a guy that wears a gold President with diamonds everywhere, dial, bracelet, case, bezel.... His sons wear gold Presidents, white gold Daytonas and the most popular watch I see in Mexico - the Cartier Santos. You are very likely to see the Santos on the wrist in Mexico. It seems the Cartiers out number the Rolexes.

I also deal with a guy that wears a Patek daily and his wife wears a Chanel with diamond bezel. I run into a few PAMs, but not many. I saw a nice fiddy yesterday in the Mexico City airport. The guy saw me checking it out and smiled. He then gave me a nod for my WM DRSD, which is curently beat to hell.

We had an equipment demo at the womens center (jokes galore here) and every salesman sans one had on a Rolex Datejust. I made a comment to each of them and even the one who had on a "lowly Omega semaster quartz) The fellow with the seamaster said he was new and the Rolex would be his first purchase upon making a large sale. It seems as though the watch is a measuring stick among this type of saleman as to how succesfull they are. It is a status symbol pure and simple for them.

But I usually see high end watches ans sporting events around Dallas, Mavs, Cowboys, Rangers.

Another party tonight. An informal affair celebrating the 40th anniversary of my daughter's in-laws. Since we share grand children, we were invited. Forty or so mix of 50-70 year old couples and a few mid thirty somethings like my daughter. I would never have spent so much time looking at the watches a year ago, but I did a rough count of what was there. Two vintage Rolex Day Dates were the top line. At least six TT Datejusts. One steel Yachtmaster, (yeah, my son-in-law's rep) and the several ladies' presidents. I'm in my Andrew's quartz Brietling. Now, at least five of these people make seven figure incomes. (Actually, I know one of the heavies has at least one rep, but I've never seen him wear it.) No VC's, Pateks, RO's or any of the watches you would expect to see "rich" people wearing. I guess I am living in real "Millionaire Next Door" country. I think I'll save my Brueget rep until the next trip to Vegas. :)

The question: Where do you see people wearing the $25,000 genuine watches like the reps we buy?

I just ran into a guy today wearing a 2 tone Daytona @ Borders Books.

We had an equipment demo at the womens center (jokes galore here) and every salesman sans one had on a Rolex Datejust.

But I usually see high end watches ans sporting events around Dallas, Mavs, Cowboys, Rangers.

IMHO, in no particular order:

- Gold rolexes all over the place. The wearers are trying to make the "I am rich and successful" statement or they simply bought it the first time they made a chunk of money and never thought about it again

Other watches:

- Fancy Carribean islands at high season

- High end hotels in New York or LA on the weekend (that is when people are shelling big bucks out of their own pocket who are visiting from foreign countries)

- Bling bling watches - floor seats for any Basketball game in New York or LA and very expensive singles bars/chic clubs on prime nights.

I tend to see expensive watches wherever the price of admission is very high and people have generally paid it themselves (read as high amount of discretionary income). But there is a definite pattern as to what is being worn.

Frequency of Observation:

Rolexes:

Subs - Standard wear for banker types. I would guess I see a minimum of 20 a day.

Gold Rolex - Far and away most frequent after subs. 10-20 a day on client types. The Timex of Texas. :lol:

Daytonas - I see more and more and often on women. IMHO, it is the new Rolex symbol of success for a younger generation. 3-5 a day.

Other brands:

Cartier - Most frequent every day "fancy watch" for women. Basically standard issue jewelry for upper scale women in New York. Similar role to subs for men in NY. Men are still wearing as well. In truth they are not expensive in the context of fancy watches.

Patek's - Upper end version of standard fare for bankers.

AP - Current young entrepreneur's favorites. They wear the big ones.

Panerai - Growing in leaps and bounds in New York - especially among the younger folks as they are, as expensive watches go, inexpensive. The funny thing is I get the most compliments from younger European men who know what they are.

Everything else - fewer and far between except I do see a fair number of Breguet's.