When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Installing Rolex Crown Tube

mucrewbtp

Hello, I recently got a gen crown and tube to use on my 1665 MBW DRSD. I am using the Clark tube it came with 4 different o-ring seals. Two appear to go inside the tube, one around the outer circumference, and a 4th one. Am I to assume that this goes around the threaded part that is tapped into the case? I have read somewhere else that Rolex did not use a rubber seal on this part. I want the watch to be as water resistant as possible, does anybody that has done this mod before have suggestions?

Thank you,

Mike

Edited by mucrewbtp

and a 4th one. Am I to assume that this goes around the threaded part that is tapped into the case? I have read somewhere else that Rolex did not use a rubber seal on this part.

If I am not mistaken, the gasket between the tube and case is a silver metal gasket. At least on the DJ tubes it is.

If you do not have this part, you can always use a tiny amount of non hardening gasket sealer. Liquid gasket, etc. You only need a tiny amount and be careful as it can spiderweb and leave a mess in your case.

Hello, I recently got a gen crown and tube to use on my 1665 MBW DRSD. I am using the Clark tube it came with 4 different o-ring seals. Two appear to go inside the tube, one around the outer circumference, and a 4th one. Am I to assume that this goes around the threaded part that is tapped into the case? I have read somewhere else that Rolex did not use a rubber seal on this part. I want the watch to be as water resistant as possible, does anybody that has done this mod before have suggestions?

Thank you,

Mike

Yes, the thinner gasket goes around the threads that go into the case.......however, if you don't counter sink the hole in the case, you will pinch the gasket when you tighten it.

Good luck,

Kurt.

Thank you to the above posters for the help. So it seems that I have two options:

A. don't countersink the hole, and use gesket sealant, or

B. use the included extra rubber o-ring, but I will have to countersink the case first.

Any ideas/opinions on what will offer better water resistence.

Thank you,

Mike

Thank you to the above posters for the help. So it seems that I have two options:

A. don't countersink the hole, and use gesket sealant, or

B. use the included extra rubber o-ring, but I will have to countersink the case first.

Any ideas/opinions on what will offer better water resistence.

Thank you,

Mike

If you don't countersink, the tube/crown will have a gap at the case. A small gap is common, but not countersinking will leave a very pronounced gap.

Gasket or gasket sealant if properly applied will serve yuor needs. it's the aesthetics you need to choose.

Countersink the hole and use gasket sealer. The other o-ring may fit around the crown stem as I recall, if you need it. When I tried it on the tube threads going into the case it got all distorted, so I took it out and used gasket sealer.

And make sure you tap the hole all the way with the tap- the Clark tube is delicate and I've snapped off a couple.

quote =

I am using the Clark tube it came with 4 different o-ring seals. Two appear to go inside the tube, one around the outer circumference, and a 4th one. Am I to assume that this goes around the threaded part that is tapped into the case? I have read somewhere else that Rolex did not use a rubber seal on this part. I want the watch to be as water resistant as possible, does anybody that has done this mod before have suggestions?

/quote

I am not familiar with the 'Clark" case tube but a genuine triplock tube has two O rings inside the tube, one under the crown cap, one on the outside of the tube down close to the case, and a plastic/hard rubber gasket between the tube and case.

notes:

(7mm case tube or crown = submariner)

1...The O rings inside the case tube and under the crown cap are identical. These three O rings are standard 6.0mm case tube O rings.

2...The O ring for the outside of the tube is easy to tell from the other three.

3...The gasket between the case tube and case is harder than the other O rings and easy to tell apart.

4...7mm crowns bottom out against the case tube when screwed down...unlike DJ etc crowns that tighten down against a flat gasket under the crown cap.

For this reason, as long as all the threads are OK and the case tube does not leak where it screws into the case...the crown will seal up just fine if the O rings are good.

5...On some generic brass 7mm case tubes...the threaded part that screws in the case is too short and fragile.

6...7mm case tubes are the same thread size where they screw into the case as standard 6.0mm case tubes...3.0mm x .35mm

7...Some accessory case tubes do not have the O ring on the outside of the case tube...genuine twinlocks and early triplocks do not either. The outer O ring is basically a dust/moisture gasket and protects the threads from dirt and water when washing hands etc.

8...It is a hassle to cut a replica case to acceot the genuine case tube gasket so it is probably easier to try to get by with a silver washer like used on a 6.0mm DJ case tubes and/or gasket cement on the threads.

9...Grinding/cutting the case so the case tube fits better is a good idea to prevent the crown from being too far from the case when screwed down. Because 7mm crowns bottom out against the case tube...you can not force the crown closer to the case simply by tightening it down.

Thanks a lot for all of the replies, this will help a lot in this mod.

-Mike

quote =

I am using the Clark tube it came with 4 different o-ring seals. Two appear to go inside the tube, one around the outer circumference, and a 4th one. Am I to assume that this goes around the threaded part that is tapped into the case? I have read somewhere else that Rolex did not use a rubber seal on this part. I want the watch to be as water resistant as possible, does anybody that has done this mod before have suggestions?

/quote

I am not familiar with the 'Clark" case tube but a genuine triplock tube has two O rings inside the tube, one under the crown cap, one on the outside of the tube down close to the case, and a plastic/hard rubber gasket between the tube and case.

notes:

(7mm case tube or crown = submariner)

1...The O rings inside the case tube and under the crown cap are identical. These three O rings are standard 6.0mm case tube O rings.

2...The O ring for the outside of the tube is easy to tell from the other three.

3...The gasket between the case tube and case is harder than the other O rings and easy to tell apart.

4...7mm crowns bottom out against the case tube when screwed down...unlike DJ etc crowns that tighten down against a flat gasket under the crown cap.

For this reason, as long as all the threads are OK and the case tube does not leak where it screws into the case...the crown will seal up just fine if the O rings are good.

5...On some generic brass 7mm case tubes...the threaded part that screws in the case is too short and fragile.

6...7mm case tubes are the same thread size where they screw into the case as standard 6.0mm case tubes...3.0mm x .35mm

7...Some accessory case tubes do not have the O ring on the outside of the case tube...genuine twinlocks and early triplocks do not either. The outer O ring is basically a dust/moisture gasket and protects the threads from dirt and water when washing hands etc.

8...It is a hassle to cut a replica case to acceot the genuine case tube gasket so it is probably easier to try to get by with a silver washer like used on a 6.0mm DJ case tubes and/or gasket cement on the threads.

9...Grinding/cutting the case so the case tube fits better is a good idea to prevent the crown from being too far from the case when screwed down. Because 7mm crowns bottom out against the case tube...you can not force the crown closer to the case simply by tightening it down.