When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New MBW Sub...

im2

well, there was one related topic but it seems to be dead since a couple of weeks so i dont think i am breaking any rule now..

So, has anyone bought from TTK (or any other source?? :unsure: ) the 2008 MBW Sub? I just spoke with Neil and he sent me

some pix and it looks ..really amazing (well, another addition-answer to ''who-has-the-best-sub'' question :DB) ...)...

So, any experiences??

I have the watch from TTK. I asked a member to mod it for me and then post pics before and after but really never got a positive response that he wanted to do this. SO..I have no pics to show. Build quality is very good but as always not perfect..

Bad pearl

Bad CG

Typical MBW dial...not the very best

larger than typical crown (possibly to accomedate the larger tube?)

Floating insert

ROLEX around the rehaut is a little too big vs gen but no way anyone will ever notice

Good points

Great case

Very good fit and finish

Bezel constructed like gen

HOLLOW mid link bracelet! YEAH!

date mag/font greatly improved and mag well centered

Thick pins to attach bracelet to case

So if you get this watch and install and recess a watchmaterial pearl, trim the CG your right THERE. Everything else is so minor only a complete ROLEX geek would ever be able to tell.

I also took off the band and did a complete overhaul ......washed with soap and water, brushed with a scotch brite pad for 15 min to give a real NICE warm brushed appearance and then a very light polishing. I also took an emery board to the edges around the end link so it would seat a lil better next to the case. I now have a WM insert on its way. All I need now is someone to trim my CG and possibly install a NOOB dial and I am all set.

I have the watch from TTK. I asked a member to mod it for me and then post pics before and after but really never got a positive response that he wanted to do this. SO..I have no pics to show. Build quality is very good but as always not perfect..

Bad pearl

Bad CG

Typical MBW dial...not the very best

larger than typical crown (possibly to accomedate the larger tube?)

Floating insert

ROLEX around the rehaut is a little too big vs gen but no way anyone will ever notice

Good points

Great case

Very good fit and finish

Bezel constructed like gen

HOLLOW mid link bracelet! YEAH!

date mag/font greatly improved and mag well centered

Thick pins to attach bracelet to case

So if you get this watch and install and recess a watchmaterial pearl, trim the CG your right THERE. Everything else is so minor only a complete ROLEX geek would ever be able to tell.

I also took off the band and did a complete overhaul ......washed with soap and water, brushed with a scotch brite pad for 15 min to give a real NICE warm brushed appearance and then a very light polishing. I also took an emery board to the edges around the end link so it would seat a lil better next to the case. I now have a WM insert on its way. All I need now is someone to trim my CG and possibly install a NOOB dial and I am all set.

Remarks-questions:

1.Hmmm that NOOB watch B) ... seems to haunt every new sub around.. How about putting a noob bracelet as well? The finish of the noob bracelet is perfect...

2.What watch material you use to open the watch and insert the noob dial ?

4. Did u trim the CG? If yes, how did oyu do it? Did it take much time?

3. Where on earth can I find a crown that fits MBW and/or Noob Sub AND has the RLX Symbol on it ??

The problem with the NOOB braclet on a NOOB watch is that many times the fit and finish where the end links meet the case are not very good...sometimes very bad in fact! (gaps etc) The new MBW bracelet is very good in this respect...it fits nice and tight against the case lugs and against the case proper.

The NOOB watch is excellent and I highly recommend the BK mariner as top of the line in terms of a fully modded Rolex sub rep. However when you hold a fully modded MBW vs a fully modded Noob you can tell the difference in overall fit and finish. The rehaut depth side by side really shows up as does the bracelet fit and finish. However I would say if anyone is looking for the best out of the box sub rep and is not interested in doing anything additional to the watch the BK mariner is the way to go.

To fit a new dial you would need the tool to screw off the back then remove the movement, take off the hands and then interchange the dials. hands go back on, movement back into the case etc. No way I would ever try that myself.

You can use sandpaper cut in small pieces to lightly sand the inner edges of the CG. Then buff with a wet/dry sandpaper to smooth out the rough spots and then polish to a nice shine. The crown would need to be removed and lots of care not to scratch the tube or other areas of the watch while you are sanding.

I think BK is trying to get good crowns that will fit his MK mariner.