When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sd's Hev

bruce79

I was just curious to know if this version of the HEV ever existed on the gen SD or is it just a fantasy valve. I know the modern SD reps have the HEV correct but the classic TW SD's seem to only have this version. I've searched all over the net but was unable to find a concrete answer. Can any of our Rollie experts help me out. Thanks

70347-32825.jpg

The vintage SD does have the small HE valve pictured. All my research of gens shows this valve and my MBW watches have the exact valve. As for the modern SD to the best of my knowledge no one has the right combination as of yet.

The fantasy valve is on my EL and MBW modern SD. Good solid watches but the valve is a dead give away. The correct looking valve (as on the gen) can be found on many rep SD's but the case and just about every thing else is wrong. The Chinese reps have the valve down and the TW best have the correct case ect. It would seem quite easy to get this one rep down right but for some reason there just is not enough interest in the project. I have asked Maria (MBW) about this and his response has been that he is sometime out on getting a modern SD that has the quality he demands. He to the best of my knowledge will not sell a modern SD at the present time. I think that in a short time (with demand) that a correct SD will be built. That is what happens in rep world. In the meantime if one could source the right looking valve and put it in a TW best SD you might end up with a fairly accurate rep. Joe and I talked about doing this but he could not source out the right valve so the project died. Still dont know if the Chinese valve could be made to fit a TW case at this point. John.

Joe and I talked about doing this but he could not source out the right valve so the project died. Still dont know if the Chinese valve could be made to fit a TW case at this point. John.

This is really my only option...IMO I want to keep the sd I have now but also want a correct HEV. I'm not quite sure if the HEV can be taken out or not. Does anyone know how it's attached?

Thank you for your insight...you're the best as is your sd. :mellow:

I am really not sure what you mean by this, but thanks. I too am eager for a modern SD. I have posted before on this topic without much success. They are great watches. It seems like it would an easy rep to make and there appears to be at least a small demand.

Thom

All I mean by my comment is that I, along with most others, are quite aware of the flaws with this rep. I know about the case, bezel, and HEV. I started this thread because I was curious about the HEV and wanted to know more. I know it's wrong and I also know it's a rep...I'm fine with the case thickness and bezel, and if I have too, I'll live with the HEV. I know it's not exact but I do know that the tw best sd is the best that's out there at the moment so...

All I mean by my comment is that I, along with most others, are quite aware of the flaws with this rep. I know about the case, bezel, and HEV. I started this thread because I was curious about the HEV and wanted to know more. I know it's wrong and I also know it's a rep...I'm fine with the case thickness and bezel, and if I have too, I'll live with the HEV. I know it's not exact but I do know that the tw best sd is the best that's out there at the moment so...

Cool. I can't understand why they can make a great VC Overseas, FM crazy hour :bangin: but no decent modern SD :huh: It appears, beyond you and I, there is a market for this rep. And I by no means meant to be bellicose in my posts. I was glad to see another friend interested in a SD.

Thom

@chrono&bruce: Couldn't agree more. I mean how hard can it be to do it the right way. I would be all over a modern SD with the right valve and the TW case ect ect. As I said RBJ and I tried to source out a correct valve to be put in a EL or MBW modern SD. Could not find one as a stand alone valve. The other alternative would be to buy a watch with the correct valve and see if it could be matched up to a MBW, EL or other TW SD. Buy two and end up with one mostly correct SD. The sacrificial watch could be used for spares. Did not want one that bad as I do think they will get it right in the near furture. Given enough time I think that Josh is on the right track by providing watches that are moded and serviced from the get go. Maybe with enough input he will make a proper SD with most of the bells and whistles.

I think it would be great if we could get the "perfect SD" from him or another dealer. CG's, dial, movement seviced, HE valve ect. I would be glad to pay more and not have to worry about the mail issues ect. One stop deal sounds good to me. I dont know about the rest of you but I am getting tired of waiting for the watch (mail and custom problems). Once watch is in hand, sending it off to get serviced, water proof checked, mods done, and the wait and mail dance starts again. Ok the air is getting thin on my soap box so I will stop the rant. Take care, John.

If the manufacturers do decide to make a better 16600, I hope they also tackle the crystal and bezel diameter too. That's the even bigger flaw, in my opinion, as the genuine 16600 has a crystal that is almost 1mm smaller than the genuine 16610, and a bezel that is around .7mm smaller. The reps all seem to use a Sub caseband as the basis for their versions.

Now... How much of a difference does 1mm make? Quite a large difference, especially if you've ever handled a gen 16610 and 16600 in your hands at the same time to compare...