When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Getting a first vintage MBW

piratedzeus

HI there.

White 1680 goes for around 5 k euro cca and up dependin on state of the piece and whats included ... the 1665 gw is round double ... DRSD more ... i dont know about gmts ...

That said the full mod pack on both of mine mbws 1680/1655 costed around the same ammount ... oka yes i have a flat top tropic 39 on my GW if i would get the superdoome that woud increase the total i put on that piece etc ...

The 1680 is a good start in my opinion it was my first vintage mbw that recived full mod packahe and is still my number one watch also prefered to my mbw 1665 fully moded ... not that i dont love my GW but since 1680 is thiner and lighter watch i found it more versatile and easyer to wear ...

In the end some ask ... was it worth it ... my answer ... every single penny ... ;)

just my 2 cents :)

regards laz

white 1680 goes for around 5 k euro up dependin on state of the piece and whats included ... the 1665 gw is round double ... DRSD more ... i dont know about gmts ...

regards laz

You are right Laz: a double red doesn't make sense at all...You must be 1) very rich 2) very old to pretend owning one (let's forget about a SRSD of course :animal_rooster: )

If your favourite watch should have a cyclop then go for a 1680 White. If you prefer non-cycloped, go for a 1665 Great White with a flat 39, you'll love it.

Cheers

Stephane

You are right Laz: a double red doesn't make sense at all...You must be 1) very rich 2) very old to pretend owning one (let's forget about a SRSD of course :animal_rooster: )

I disagree with this popular assertion...

These are vintage pieces, and most people will not make assumptions about how wealthy your father is/was. For me, it's Double Red all the way (along with a couple of vintage Daytonas, which, in reality, are just as far out of reach). :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Edited by avitt

I disagree with this popular assertion...

These are vintage pieces, and most people will not make assumptions about how wealthy your father is/was. For me, it's Double Red all the way (along with a couple of vintage Daytonas, which, in reality, are just as far out of reach). :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Hmm, I must have been not clear again; guess it's my limited english. :unsure:

I didn't mean heritage.

I meant going to get a vintage myself...I would not spend the amount of money asked for a double red.

The reason being I will never have that amount left after paying what I am supposed to pay.

Secondly I love the flat 39 on a Great White.

This doesn't mean the Double Red isn't se*y.

It's a wonderfull piece of watch and it's a legend.

After all, that is why our hobby is so exiting: we can get them all!

@Avitt & Pirate: sorry if I didn't get it all but I was assuming Pirate asked "How likely would I be the owner of a gen DRSD and be believable?"

Cheers

Stephane

One of the advantages of the 1680 is that it can also be easily converted to the 5513. If you tire of the cyclops, the 1680 also looks terrific with the T-19. which I've often seen on TZ.

The 1675 would be the least expensive of the trio followed by the 1680/white dial. The 1665 (with any dial) has escalated to lunar heights. :o

One last thing, I love these watches. :D

Hmm, I must have been not clear again; guess it's my limited english. :unsure:

I didn't mean heritage.

I meant going to get a vintage myself...I would not spend the amount of money asked for a double red.

The reason being I will never have that amount left after paying what I am supposed to pay.

Ahhh...There I agree with you ;) A genuine DR is almost 10X what I would be able/willing to spend on a vintage piece...

But, alas...we can own them all :whistling:

One of the advantages of the 1680 is that it can also be easily converted to the 5513. If you tire of the cyclops, the 1680 also looks terrific with the T-19. which I've often seen on TZ.

:( I guess a MBW 1680 will be in my future. I just bought a Tudor 7928 Submariner dial but it is too small for any of the cases I have.

1680 all the way...Did I mentioned that I had 3 mbw 1680 but ended selling them?

Look, this was Lazarini watch before it arrived to his hands:

img0122pi1.jpg

and other pic:

img0151ik3.jpg

img0108kb9.jpg

Of course you have to change insert and trim the crown guards.

I love the end result of Lazarini.

Edited by manuel

MBW 1680 and 1665 are BEAUTIFULLY constructed timepieces. Out of the box they are just a joy to wear with great fit and finish. Of course that .000001 percent of the population who are Rolex geeks would know the difference but even they dont know that watches the quality of MBW exisit. I suggest to buy a GWSD along with a Clarke crystal (close enough to gen and far cheaper). Have a watchmaker install the new crystal and waterproof in the process. Then buy a insert from Otto Frei for 40 bucks...again close enough. Trim the CG and have someone drill the lug holes and your done. Forget the aging....you will be putting your share of scratches on the watch so why make a piece of wrist art look like a piece of shopworn crap. The result will be a watch of great beauty that no one would ever call out in a million years at minimal expence.

MBW 1680 and 1665 are BEAUTIFULLY constructed timepieces. Out of the box they are just a joy to wear with great fit and finish. Of course that .000001 percent of the population who are Rolex geeks would know the difference but even they dont know that watches the quality of MBW exisit. I suggest to buy a GWSD along with a Clarke crystal (close enough to gen and far cheaper). Have a watchmaker install the new crystal and waterproof in the process. Then buy a insert from Otto Frei for 40 bucks...again close enough. Trim the CG and have someone drill the lug holes and your done. Forget the aging....you will be putting your share of scratches on the watch so why make a piece of wrist art look like a piece of shopworn crap. The result will be a watch of great beauty that no one would ever call out in a million years at minimal expence.

I assume that you wrote a separately paragraph for the 1680 and the 1665 respectively. :p

I agree with most of these suggestions. There are a ton of great things about the MBK vintage rollies.

The most major is the ability to take genuine parts. If you don't plan on actually modding the watch with genuine rolex parts, then I don't think it's a great value at a nearly $400 for the unmodded rep. But if you are committed to modding it, then you can get as close as you want to the real thing as your budget, time, and interest will allow. It's constantly able to accept gen parts in the future, as well, so you can gradually add parts over time- which is stating the obvious, but while the average rep drops in value at a higher rate over time, genuine rolex parts increase in value at a very solid rate.

They're such a cool little niche within our hobby. When you consider the popularity of Rolex and in particular the sub, I don't have a lot of interest in the modern Rolex reps or gens because they're so interchangably associated and difficult to distinguish. Not as true for the vintage rollies. What I like about them is that even as reps they're expensive enough when modded and the parts are difficult enough to source as to make it unlikely that even many rep owners are likely to own one proportionate the % of rep buyers, even.

I will never sell either of those watches! And neither will you, once you've got a taste.

yea indeed ...

i have seen my 1680/1665 GW transform from a nice watch into something completely beautiful ... all do to tell u the truth i sometimes think about where does it stop ... :blink:

after i purchased my 1680 from manuel i said to myself thats it i get this modded and im done ... RIGHT ;)

afer few months i purchased a GW from Paul which was actually a DRSD but i opted for extra dial ... in the end when sent it for modding i decided to swap dials and go with the GW ... all it needs now is a case back change as mine is incorrect ...

1665 came with a slow beat eta ... great now in the end i think i need one also for my 1680 heheh ...

so now i said i have all i need no more vintage rollies but DAMN !!! :blush:

i had to go to Brussels GTG and handle Stephans 5513 that he got of JustAsGood pfff what can i say it keeps apearing in my dreams that piece ...loooooooove the tropic 19 the simple look with no date complication etc ... :wub: :wub:

ure getting yourself in dangerous waters my friend this things are like poison cursing through ure vain ... slowly but for sure u will be hooked hehehe :)

regards Laz

I keep trying to make my current projects take as long as possible to get completed, to try to avoid having my interest find another project.

There is a lot of challenge, thought, and time that goes into the search and execution. A lot of decision making about the relative value and benefit of different genuine part options. Sometimes it can actually get frustrating. But without these qualities I don't think it would be as ultimately fufilling.

the easy way: get an MBK 1680 change the dial with gen/aftermarked 5513/full size Tudor and topic.

if you want to stay with your 1680 its much more complicated ;) -

(the stock datefont is shitty and the dials are not that good).

what you need to do anyway are the CGs, lugholes and insert.

its a long way - and if you cant do the mods yourself - some modders will

take a lot $$ from your pockets... :black_eye:

cheers,

Frank