When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Chrono Avengers: Face off!

importr

Right, most of us know what the flaws are with the rep Chrono Avenger "version 2". By "version 2", I mean the

all-titanium one fitted with asian 21600 vph 7750. In fact I'm sure the "version 1" was also fitted with low beat 7750. Anyway, I'm not sure if anyone has made a comparison of the gen and rep side by side. If so, well here's another! :lol: Let's start with the front of the rep:

Glaringly obvious (pardon the pun) is the lack of AR coating

Then there is the incorrect font on the bezel rider tabs - the v1 had the correct font

The blobby bezel pearl - which I've filed down on this example - the v1 had a better looking pearl

The "soft" rounded edges of the case, bezel and bracelet links - the v1 had sharper edges. By the way, all

Replica titanium Chrono Avengers have "Professional" bracelets.

The asian 7750 was fitted with the strange font date wheel, which we are all familiar with. This example is

fitted with an ETA date wheel. A Lello date wheel would take care of this issue

The "B" logo is etched/engraved onto the front of the bezel near the pearl. It should be on the edge at the 11.30 hour mark.

S5002182.jpg

Compare with the gen...

S5002177.jpg

Now we have the angular aspect of the rep case & bezel:

Again, the lack of AR coating is apparent on the mineral glass

The small screws on the bezel (to aid grip with gloved hands) are polished, not matte as per the original

The soft edges of the case are also seen again

The crown was replaced for this rep, as the thread stripped on the previous factory fitted one. The 'B' logo

was the correct size, albeit not as sharp

The chrono pushers are almost flat, whereas they should be very slightly domed. Also, they are not brushed across the pushers (and protectors) as the gen.

You will see that the luminous hour dots are blobby as opposed to flat.

Some large second hands were said to have been shorter. It seems that this one is ok.

S5002183.jpg

Compare with the gen...

S5002179.jpg

Moving on to the case back: (apologies for underexposure)

The case back is good, not as deep - but I have seen on another CA rep of mine, the case back is the correct depth! This is just being picky, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

The inside of the bracelet should bear the marking "880E" and a 4 digit code meaning the month of manufacture and the year. Eg. 4500 is the 45th week of 2000. A similar code (on the gen) is visible between

the strap lugs @ 6

The bracelet links are spaced slightly further apart on the gen.

The case cutout for the crown is wider on the rep.

S5002185.jpg

Picture of the gen:

S5002178.jpg

Now, the bracelet clasp:

The signature stamping is feint

The Winged B logo is broad, and quite strange looking. It actually looks fake, as far as Winged B logo's go!

The foldover clasp is cut square and sharp, the recess follows the same lines.

The diver extension is virtually the same, and the 3 piece clasp links are not that different in shape.

You can see the rounded bracelet link edges. The gen links have a more pronounced bevel.

S5002186.jpg

Pic of the gen...

S5002181.jpg

So, most of the points raised are not that drastic. A few choice mods could certainly sort it out:

AR coating by Chieftang or K2222. Datewheel by Lello. Gen dial & inner bezel swap (rare as rocking horse poo).

Maybe even a gen bezel swap - I've just eyeballed the metal around the crystal and it could be about 0.5mm wider on the rep...

The titanium Chrono Avenger may be getting a little thin on the ground now. I managed to pick up one more Ti rep. (from King) the form of a Grey dialled version with UTC module, which by contrast is actually very well made!!

S50007.jpg

All in all, the Chrono Avenger is a rep that isn't too shocking, but it still begs the question

"Why do the rep makers make these silly mistakes, which are just so obvious?!"

Parting shot...

S5002187.jpg

I hope you found this useful B)

I think the biggest problem with the current batch of Chrono Avenger reps is that we were so spoiled with the first version. I really think that your pics actually show the current version to be pretty darn good. Maybe not super rep material, but it would still take a fairly well trained eye to spot the differences. Thanks for the gorgeous photos, and did I mention that I love my C.A.?

IMG_3431.jpg

Thanks again fellas, for the kind words - Yay! :D

I actually like doing comparisons, when I have the time. Most people (non WIS's) just dont get my

hobby. Here, I can blab about it and feel happy!!

...almost like walking down the street naked!! :lol:

I hope to be of more use in the future

^_^

maybe in the not-too-distant, these watches will be modified again.........?

• 7 months later...

excellent review...very helpful - as i'm currently looking at this watch with a UTC bracelet...

my question is: you said "The titanium Chrono Avenger may be getting a little thin on the ground now. I managed to pick up one more Ti rep. (from King) the form of a Grey dialled version with UTC module, which by contrast is actually very well made!!"....

so.....how does the King gray watch with the UTC module compare to the rep watch you did the review on?...

i am looking at one that josh has and it looks very similar to the one in your review...so how does the king watch with utc differ from the review rep watch?...

thx...R

Awesome comparison ImportR! After reading your post its seems like the weakest link in this watch is the bracelet. I would definitely chuck the Ti bracelet and slap on a leather or rubber strap. This would then make the watch even lighter, allowing you to wear it as a beater watch. Do you happen to know whats the total weight of the rep is with a rubber Breitling strap?

excellent review...very helpful - as i'm currently looking at this watch with a UTC bracelet...

my question is: you said "The titanium Chrono Avenger may be getting a little thin on the ground now. I managed to pick up one more Ti rep. (from King) the form of a Grey dialled version with UTC module, which by contrast is actually very well made!!"....

so.....how does the King gray watch with the UTC module compare to the rep watch you did the review on?...

i am looking at one that josh has and it looks very similar to the one in your review...so how does the king watch with utc differ from the review rep watch?...

thx...R

Hi, what i meant was that the UTC module itself is very well made! Its even got AR on the inside of the glass! :D

What I did notice between the grey and black rep dials is that the concentric circles in the subdial is more noticeable on the grey. Maybe the black dial paint was a bit too thick?

I would recommend that you get the glass AR'd...as it spoils the whole Breitling feel without it

Awesome comparison ImportR! After reading your post its seems like the weakest link in this watch is the bracelet. I would definitely chuck the Ti bracelet and slap on a leather or rubber strap. This would then make the watch even lighter, allowing you to wear it as a beater watch. Do you happen to know whats the total weight of the rep is with a rubber Breitling strap?

Cheers :D

IMO, the watch in Titanium is already light enough to wear as a beater. Only the height of the case might get caught on something.

All of my Ti watches are very comfortable to wear all day. Could even wear them to go running! Unlike SS watches.

Sorry bud, I dont have any digital scales - but the rep feels the same as the gen, which is only 100grams with bracelet! :)

• 2 weeks later...