When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My Trusty Pam is falling apart

Guest REPPIN

I bought a trusty time Panerai 111 Rep a few months back and the thing is falling apart.

First it was popping when I would wind it, so Andrew sent me another Crown guard, didnt help.

So the other day, I tried to wind it, and it just spun, i took it off, and looked at the back of the watch, only to find that the screw on the small wheel that winds the larger wheel had fallen out, and the entire gear, the screw, and a little cylinder was sliding around in the caseback.

Will he take this watch back, or at least look at it to get it fixed, I have lost his email from our transaction. I know he is a good guy and makes great stuff, and I am sorry to be having this problem come to light, but I bought a 350.00 watch and I need it to work.

Does anyone have it...also, here are some pictures to let you know kind of what I am talking about, sorry for the blurryness, I took it with my phone...no digi-cam.

UPDATED, SCROLL DOWN TO POST #17 FOR MORE PICTURES.

Edited by REPPIN

Did you PM him ?? You can find his contact in the members area or you can go to the site and contact them. He was really good about answering my questions and from what I have seen he is good about replacing or fixing problem pieces.

I bought a trusty time Panerai 111 Rep a few months back and the thing is falling apart.

First it was popping when I would wind it, so Andrew sent me another Crown guard, didnt help.

So the other day, I tried to wind it, and it just spun, i took it off, and looked at the back of the watch, only to find that the screw on the small wheel that winds the larger wheel had fallen out, and the entire gear, the screw, and a little cylinder was sliding around in the caseback.

Will he take this watch back, or at least look at it to get it fixed, I have lost his email from our transaction. I know he is a good guy and makes great stuff, and I am sorry to be having this problem come to light, but I bought a 350.00 watch and I need it to work.

Does anyone have it...also, here are some pictures to let you know kind of what I am talking about, sorry for the blurryness, I took it with my phone...no digi-cam.

NOTICE THE GEAR IS IN DIFFERENT PLACES IN EVERY PICTURE.

img0139pk1.jpg

img0140oj5.jpg

I think it's hilarious that you even make such a statement, in a thread pointing out that the watch has literally fallen to pieces by itself, but that's just me, and I admit, not really helping your situation... Here's what I'd suggest to do.

Before even contacting Andrew, try taking the watch into a local jewellers/watch repairers, finding out if they can repair a mechanical watch, and see what it would cost you. (Even though it's a rep, it's still a mechanical product, they should be able to do something with it) then, contact Andrew via email/PM outlining the situation, and see if he would be prepared to cover repair costs from that jeweller. If he isn't, then request a return address and return the watch, for a like for like exchange (not worth the additional delay of getting it fixed in China)

Best of luck with getting it resolved :)

From the photos it would appear that this is an Asain 6497 and in my limited experience with this movement this is a very common fault. If the screw and gear are still there (and unless you have removed the caseback they must be) then it is a simple job to replace the gear wheel on its square shaft and replace the screw. However, to prevent a repeat of this a spot of jewellers 'loctite' is needed and it would be advisable to do both gear wheels at the same time. This is a DIY job for all but the most hamfisted so shouldn't cost too much at a watchsmiths.

BTW, this was causing the 'popping' all along because the small wheel was disengaging and riding over the top of the larger when you were winding. If you wound the watch 'face down' it would have wound normally as gravity would have held the gears in line with each other. I think that there is an inherent design fault with this movement, partly caused by the exaggerated bevel on the gear wheels which reduces the width of the mating surfaces and encourages one to ride onto the top of the other. Just my 2 cents worth.

Edited by PAMman

This watch better damn well not have an Asian movement in it, I paid alot for it and it was sold to me as a "Swiss ETA" movement.

So can you guys tell me if this is the asian or the swiss, if its not the Swiss, me and Andrew are going to have some issues beyond this.

This watch better damn well not have an Asian movement in it, I paid alot for it and it was sold to me as a "Swiss ETA" movement.

So can you guys tell me if this is the asian or the swiss, if its not the Swiss, me and Andrew are going to have some issues beyond this.

The normal Swiss ETA doesn't use this shock protection system in my experience. Check for the ETA shield which should be stamped on the base plate under the escape wheel. Whether it is based on the ETA or not the Panerai style bridges and sunburst wheels are Asian anyhow.

From the photos it would appear that this is an Asain 6497 and in my limited experience with this movement this is a very common fault. If the screw and gear are still there (and unless you have removed the caseback they must be) then it is a simple job to replace the gear wheel on its square shaft and replace the screw. However, to prevent a repeat of this a spot of jewellers 'loctite' is needed and it would be advisable to do both gear wheels at the same time. This is a DIY job for all but the most hamfisted so shouldn't cost too much at a watchsmiths.

BTW, this was causing the 'popping' all along because the small wheel was disengaging and riding over the top of the larger when you were winding. If you wound the watch 'face down' it would have wound normally as gravity would have held the gears in line with each other. I think that there is an inherent design fault with this movement, partly caused by the exaggerated bevel on the gear wheels which reduces the width of the mating surfaces and encourages one to ride onto the top of the other. Just my 2 cents worth.

Is this really an Asian movement??? I will take better pictures of it tonight with my digital camera that I got back today.

Then we can see if it's really the Asian, this watch was sold to me under the premise that it was a Swiss ETA movement, it was actually this watch here that i bought:

http://www.trustytime88.com/index.php?main...products_id=693

Edited by REPPIN

Looks asian to me even in his photos. The Zigmeister has given the thumbs up on the asian movement and many others are saying they are good as well. No 100% swiss movement has these bridges outside of Panerai. Even if the movement started Swiss it would now be full of asian parts.

Hello Everybody

My name is Gazi

Im a watch seller in Turkey

I would order by www.trustytime.com 5 watches

I sent over 1000 usd Money with Western Union

Andrew told me your package is on the way and u will get it soon

İ get my package but just 2 toys

NO WATCHES

And on the shipping slip from fedex i saw , the package was 0,5 kg..

i have ordered 5 x vintage rolex with ETA Movement

Just 1 rolex is over 140 gram the packet must be minimum 1.25kg....!

I thinking something is uncorrect..

Have anybody information about this Salesman

post-11617-1204145859_thumb.jpg

post-11617-1204145960_thumb.jpg

Looks asian to me even in his photos. Ziggy has given the thumbs up on the asian movement and many others are saying they are good as well. No 100% swiss movement has these bridges outside of Panerai. Even if the movement started Swiss it would now be full of asian parts.

I've never had a problem with an Asian movement which was not caused by either an accident, or my own amateurish attempts at regulation. The Asian movements I have (which I have left well alone :lol: ) have worked flawlessly. In terms of value, I don't think it is worth paying double price, just for a Swiss Movement, when an Asian one will do the same job just as well.

However.

Knowingly selling an Asian movement as a Swiss one is not a cool move, and one Andrew has been brought to task over before. He knows what he's selling, he knows what he's doing. Isn't it about time the forum admin stepped up and gave this clown the boot? If a member were to pull stunts like this, they would be immediately barred, and other forum admins warned about them. Just because Andrew pays to be a dealer here, that does not give him the right to keep ripping people off like this. Enough's enough...

Looks asian to me even in his photos. The Zigmeister has given the thumbs up on the asian movement and many others are saying they are good as well. No 100% swiss movement has these bridges outside of Panerai. Even if the movement started Swiss it would now be full of asian parts.

I'm not suggesting that the Asian movement is bad, but I have had 2 and both had loose screws in the winding gears. When I tried to tighten them they seemed to be a loose fit on their threads and would likely loosen again unless 'loctited'. Actually I broke the head off one screw when I was tightening it and the shaft was so loose than I was able to coax it back out without much trouble.

Hello Everybody

My name is Gazi

Im a watch seller in Turkey

I would order by www.trustytime.com 5 watches

I sent over 1000 usd Money with Western Union

Andrew told me your package is on the way and u will get it soon

İ get my package but just 2 toys

NO WATCHES

And on the shipping slip from fedex i saw , the package was 0,5 kg..

i have ordered 5 x vintage rolex with ETA Movement

Just 1 rolex is over 140 gram the packet must be minimum 1.25kg....!

I thinking something is uncorrect..

Have anybody information about this Salesman

I have sent stuff back to China from Canada for repair without problems. You will have to pay for shipping by airmail which will cost probably about US$12-16 which I considered cheaper than taking it to a repair shop here. Andrew will cover the shipping back to you.

Contact Andrew from his site:

Trusty

He'll get back to you quick...likely with an offer to repair it if you send it back to him.

Dear fellows..

GAZI is a nice guy but this time, the watches are OBVIOUSLY STOLEN and this is NOT OUR FAULT and neither GAZI's fault also.

I guess he is panicky and I have already emailed him with the solution of re-shipment but he cover slightly of the costs. As stated on my webstore policy, I take custom risks but STOLEN RISKS, I cannot help. I DID INDEED SHIPPED the watches (See the 300++ reviews and you will know I dont scam!).

I have offered to re-ship for partial coverage of the costs of the watches and he is already notified. Admin, I think you can close this thread.

Thanks and have a nice day!

ANDREW

**I HAVE ALREADY EMAILED HIM after this post was made AGAIN and offered him a resolution. Thanks**

**Resellers like GAZI do not pay the full webstore price so resellers should also take a fair share of the risks involved.**

Edited by trustywatchguy

Here are some better updated pictures, let me know what you guys think. And andrew, thank you for your help in this matter so far.

I cannot find an ETA Logo on this movement, I looked it up to see what it looked like, just to make sure. Now I will admit, I am not an expert on discerning one movement from another, but this certainly is seeming more and more like an Asian movement.

I have hit it with a magnifying glass, incandescent light, flourescent light, etc. NO ETA STAMP Can be found as far as I can see.

post-8024-1204171287_thumb.jpg

post-8024-1204171298_thumb.jpg

post-8024-1204171339_thumb.jpg

post-8024-1204171746_thumb.jpg

Edited by REPPIN

Two years ago I bought this exact watch from Andrew and it works beautifully. It is the "G' movement painted dial, and has been one of the favorites in my collection. I spoke to a guy who was wearing the gen 111G last week and we compared, he liked my steel bracelet more than his leather strap, and these two watches looked pretty identical. As there is something wrong with yours, perhaps the quick method is a watchsmith. The movement is a good one and somethimes they malfunction, like any mechanical device. Good luck.

Yeah you have the asian movement from what i can see... same as the pics on his website.. the asian uses a BETTER shock protection system than the ETA version from what i understand, and apparently this movement is as good or better than the ETA so i wouldnt worry about the quality. I have the same watch with the same movement and its been very reliable and accurate.

(See the 300++ reviews and you will know I dont scam!).

Yes you do. There was proof last year that you sold Bell & Ross watches with ASIAN movements, which you were advertising and selling as having SWISS movements. That, is a scam. Telling people they buy a Swiss movement, and selling them an Asian movement, is a scam. Selling people watches which are supposed to have been serviced and waterproofed, but are unserviced, and leak under water, is also a scam. I don't care how many positive reviews you have, the facts remain that you have scammed people in the past, and from this thread, it is clear you are still doing so. You are a scammer, and do not deserve to be considered a trusted dealer by these people, who admire you. Good service to some does not justify scamming others.

Edited by TeeJay

A guy who cannot even pony up a couple of bucks to support a website where it would seem he spends half his life at should not

really cast stones at hard working business people who do their best to provide good merchandise and service. Shame on the

cheap and narrow minded. :thumbdown:

Wow, I didnt mean to start up all this mess.

Sorry guys, I just wanted to make sure I got what I had paid for.

He has been really helpful and he has offered me some solutions, I am not worried about it, and I think we all need to relax.