When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Mad Ukelele Skills

Pugwash

Yep...Jake is the man.

I haven't learned to play yet, but I have acquired a few sets of Koa wood to build a concert and a tenor uke. I know, kind of putting the cart before the horse :p

I bought them last summer with the intention of building and learning to play so I could play it on the beach in Hawaii this year. Well, I leave Monday for the big island, so I don't think I'm gonna make it.

Oh well, I'll try to have fun anyway :D

Fantastic !! I bet his fingers were sore after that !! :lol:

He's a genius, the Django Reinhart of ukuleles, thanks Pugs!! :)

In the 1920s, Hawaii was all the rage. The future Duke of Windsor used to play a mean ukulele at old WWI veteran events -- and it went something like this.

Ahem....I've met him.

For the last five years myself and four other fanatics have been taking uke lessons from a wonderful hawaiian lady in her home.

A few years ago we were all at the Indy Uke Festival and Jake made a surprise appearance at a fundraising concert for the local school kids uke program.

My uke teacher knows Jake, he asked her to dance hula at one of his concerts.

So she ran into him at Indy and introduced us to him. Of course we were all tongue tied.

He is the nicest, humblest, most approachable person, considering what a genius he is.

In Hawaii the saying for phenomenal musicians is..""his fingers talk story on the uke",....

the Elder "ohta san" and Jake jammed and it was incredible.. there are many talented young musicians but jake broke the international barriers.. he's got charisma..

mjmurphy.. Have a great time on the Big Island of Hawaii.. there is a new volcanoe road for viewing Pele... the islands have been filled with "vog" bring your sinus meds if you have allergies... B)

Yep...Jake is the man.

I haven't learned to play yet, but I have acquired a few sets of Koa wood to build a concert and a tenor uke. I know, kind of putting the cart before the horse :p

I bought them last summer with the intention of building and learning to play so I could play it on the beach in Hawaii this year. Well, I leave Monday for the big island, so I don't think I'm gonna make it.

Oh well, I'll try to have fun anyway :D

Take the opportunity to buy a uke in Hawaii then! I had to import one from there. Music Guy Mike rocks. Between the concert and tenor, I prefer the tenor by far... much easier for my fingers to deal with, the concert is a bit too small for me.

There's a luthier in the Bay area by the name of Mike DaSilva, he offers a one week workshop in which you design and build a ukulele.

My teacher and I are thinking of doing this sometime.

The workshop alone costs about $1000, but what you get out of it...priceless.

In Hawaii the saying for phenomenal musicians is..""his fingers talk story on the uke",....

the Elder "ohta san" and Jake jammed and it was incredible.. there are many talented young musicians but jake broke the international barriers.. he's got charisma..

mjmurphy.. Have a great time on the Big Island of Hawaii.. there is a new volcanoe road for viewing Pele... the islands have been filled with "vog" bring your sinus meds if you have allergies... B)

Mahalo Brah,

My wife and I are bringing the kids along this time. My 17 year old wants to check out the volcano so we will be heading that way. We'll be spending a week with my brother and his family in Hawi and a week at his hotel (the Waikoloa Marriott), so we'll have a bit of a drive, but it should be pretty cool.

We also have a 6 month old son. His grandma wanted to take him swimming last week, but we told her no because we want his first swimming experience to be in the Hawaiian ocean. Probably A-Bay cuz it's nice and calm, but we'd love to take him to our favorite beach, Makalawena. Just not sure we should take him down the trail to get there.

Anyway, sorry for rambling, but I'm really excited. I just love it there. You are a lucky man!!

There's a luthier in the Bay area by the name of Mike DaSilva, he offers a one week workshop in which you design and build a ukulele.

My teacher and I are thinking of doing this sometime.

The workshop alone costs about $1000, but what you get out of it...priceless.

I read about this when I was researching building my own. I'd love to do it, but my wife wouldn't understand why she wouldn't see me all vacation :o

Nothing trivial about the ukelele. This instrument is the voice of Hawaii, and that guy Jake is one hell of a uke master. George Harrison, who owned a home in Maui , Hawaii for years loved the islands and would have been thrilled to hear Jake honor his music as he has. No doubt George's buddy Eric Clapton has heard about this guy as he played on the album version of the song with George.

Mahalo Pug.

Guest carlsbadrolex

I just bought 5 tickets to his concert here in SoCal on June 1. Im taking a few of my employees on a field trip! I found a couple more vids of him playing Spanish style guitar on a uke. Damn amazing!

• 9 months later...

When I first moved to Hawaii back in 1993, I got a job on Oahu at House of Music in Ala Moana Center. The store sold CD's and tapes, but also had a music department that sold guitars, ukes, and other instruments. There was a kid who worked in the store named Jake....he was probably 17-18 years old at the time, and yes he could shread a ukulele....im pretty sure its the same guy in the video. I remember him doing a few covers that were pretty amazing....including Mozart.