When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM048 comparison -- rep v. gen

peepshow

Sorry for the cut and paste from my thread on RWI. I would have just posted a link to that thread, but I didn't know if that was OK, or not. At any rate, I thought the fine folks here might find this interesting as well...

Alright, here is a quick comparison of my wife's rep PAM048 sourced from Ruby and her 2nd-hand gen H series that we just got over the weekend. The gen is the one with the dark brown DON calf strap, the rep is sporting a Micah/Vintager "Gobi" strap.

DSCF1017.jpg

So, here you can clearly see the difference in the date font and date magnification between the gen and the rep. The crown/CG of the rep are actually quite accurate, except that her gen is an H series so it has the newer style CG with the curved top (shown in a picture below). The CG lever on the rep is also a little thinner and stick out from the case *just* a bit more than the gen. The font on the rep is a bit too big and the indices are thicker on the rep than on the gen. The cross bars on the "A"s are a tad lower on the rep, but not as bad as some of the hand winding PAM reps. Other than the date issues, you'd be hard pressed to spot these differences if they weren't side by side, though.

DSCF1011.jpg

You can see the difference in the CG shapes here. Keep in mind that the 048 rep is a C series, so the shapes *should* be different. Also notice the small differences in the size and shape of the lugs as well as the difference in the location of the lug screw holes.

DSCF1015.jpg

Not much else to talk about here -- the rep bezel appears to be a bit taller than the gen bezel. Again, these are different series, and knowing Panerai, it's entirely possible that genuine C series watches had taller bezels than gen H series, but I don't know that for certain. Regardless the difference is minimal.

DSCF1013.jpg

Sorry for the blurry pic here. But notice that the gen caseback engraving is a slightly different size and closer to the edge of the flat part of the case back. As expected, the engraving on the back of the gen is deeper/better/cleaner than the rep case back.

So, in summary, the 048 rep is a VERY close representation of the gen. The AR is lacking on the rep and the date wheel and date mag needs to be modified, as well as a relume. If you do those things, you would have a rep that is VERY, VERY difficult to distinguish from the genuine. The A7750 isn't even much louder than the gen! Although the gen winds much smoother, as expected. :wink:

Edited by peepshow

Is that a flat CG on the rep 048 or is it slightly curved at the top?

I'm no expert on PAM crowns/CG's, but I own a Gen C series (074, though) and that CG, although slightly curved, does not sit at the same level as the top of the case.

@peepshow: thanks! I guess there must be different CG designs between the Historic and Contemporary product lines.

There is actually less of a difference than I would have imagined ! Is it just the photo or are the hands on the rep slightly thicker/wider ??

You know, Fred, as I was looking at the pics, I was asking myself the same thing. I can't decide if it's a trick of more light reflecting on the rep hands making them look wider or if they are actually wider. I'll have to check when my wife gets home, she's wearing the gen to work today. ;)

P4 -- the rep is already spoken for, sorry.

Edited by peepshow

You know, Fred, as I was looking at the pics, I was asking myself the same thing. I can't decide if it's a trick of more light reflecting on the rep hands making them look wider or if they are actually wider. I'll have to check when my wife gets home, she's wearing the gen to work today. ;)

P4 -- the rep is already spoken for, sorry.

NP, grats on the new gen guys. :D

Hey peeps - nice one mate!

Just an observation re thickness of numerals and dial indices. It appears that the slightly thicker print is correct for early series PAM048, and the C-series rep of yours certainly falls into that category.

Have a look at this one currently offered for sale on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Panerai-Pam-48_W0QQite...ksid=p1638.m122

So your and Taiji's 048 reps are spot on in that reguard. Also this resonates once again Taiji's statement in response to your post on RWI - that the 048 40mm Pam reps are one of the closest to gen ever made.

...and as some of us stated before, the only consistency about Officine Panerai watches is their inconsistency

cheers,

babola