When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Noobfish / SFSO (Arrow Head) Review With Pics

Flashman

BASIC BREITLING NOOBFISH / STEEL FISH REVIEW (ARROW HEAD NEW VERSION)

I received my order from TTK, a blue dial Noobfish and a Black dial Noobmariner. Since there is not much written up at the moment about the new Noobfish (with arrow second hand). I thought I would post one. In my opinion the the Noobfish I have received is pretty much bang on in comparison to the pics TTK posted. I compared it to a gen through the window of a local AD although they only had the older version with the cube on the second hand rather than the arrow head. Here are the pics.

post-11579-1206551221_thumb.jpg

post-11579-1206551230_thumb.jpg

post-11579-1206551239_thumb.jpg

post-11579-1206551247_thumb.jpg

post-11579-1206551255_thumb.jpg

post-11579-1206551263_thumb.jpg

DIAL

The blue of the dial looks like it is a slightly lighter shade on the Noobfish compared to the gen, although it still looks great, and I do like the fact that it is different to the common black or white dials of most watches. The AR looks good too better than in the pics, although I have no idea what double AR would be like in comparison.

LOGO DETAILS

The little B logo on the side of the bezel (between the 11 and 12 location) is a light engraving, possibly laser rather than embossed. I compared this to the other gens in the window and it looks like some of them have light Bs and others are more pronounced so no real consistancy from Breitling either.

DATE WINDOW

As to the date window, the silver frame of the gens seemed to vary across their model ranges and the one they had there looked very close to the Noobfish. Font looks good to me too.

MOVEMENT

Since this is my first rep order I cannot really compare to any ETA movement differences, but the sweep looks good, and I have matched up both this watch and my new Noobmariner against an atomic clock this morning and so far both matching to the second. I will keep an eye on them over a longer time. The power reserve seems to last just over 48 hours, which is far better than my gen Omega Speedmaster. Very impressive.

STRAP

The strap is solid and heavy to match the watch. It is easy to adjust and surprisingly fitted my 18cm wrists really well. I was worried it would be too big, but now it makes my gen Omega reduced look almost feminine. It is a very comfortable watch to wear and looks like it will be my daily workhorse for the moment.

CONCLUSION

Well for the money and for a first rep watch, it has surprised me, even comparing it to the Noobmariner, the Noobfish feels like a much more substantial and quality watch. I think it is a great watch for an amazing price. And despite the recent forum debates, I would still be very happy to use TTK again.

I hope this helps with anyone considering ordering one.

Tom

Edited by TommyB

I'd be interested to know about the placement of the He valve. Breitling.com shows the SFSO with boxed second hand, but the He valve is at the 10:00 position, not at 9:00 like on our reps. Is this a new model? If so I would assume that all pointy hand versions should have the 10:00 He valve?

I have seen a gen SFSO with triangle seconds hand and HE @ 9

sfsogenrep.jpg

so it is not a give away. I am sure i saw a photo of some one with a rep with HE @ 10 a while ago????

I would love to see a comparison with this and the SFSO we all have.

Yep second hand is damaged or at least really badly painted at the tip. I think this is unfortunately going to have to go back, or at least have the second hand changed. Something that as a Noob daunts me. I will get back to the collector I got it from. I am sure he will help sort it out. His eyes are not at their best at the moment so guess that it is an easy mistake.

Hi Andy,

It looks like on the white one you posted (2nd pic) at 9 oclock appears to be a HE valve, if you look very carefully?! it is slightly sticking out...

@ Tommy B your Seconds hand appears to be damaged!!! Check it out, I taught TTK did QC.

Regards

Chris

yep that is the gen with the triange hand and HE at 9 but the newer gens are with triangle hand and HE @ 10

Guest avitt

OK, I think that I've sleuthed out the answer to the HEV placement...

When the Steelfish was first introduced in 2005, it came out in a 42mm case, with the HEV at 10:00. This was only manufactured for a year, and was quickly replaced by the current version, which is 44mm, and has the HEV at 9:00. The current version is referred to as the "X-Plus". The hand shape change is a more recent modification to the X-Plus.

Another difference between the two is the fact that the transitional model says "Chronometre" on the dial, while the larger, current version says "Chronometre Certifie". So this explains what you see at Breitling's site: the still pictures are all of the X-Plus version, while the 360 degree shot has not been updated, and still shows the 42mm version, with the HEV at 10:00, and a thinner case.

Here are the references:

http://blog.breitlingsource.com/category/watch-tips-tricks/

http://www.breitlingsource.com/watch_detai...omarine_16.html

http://www.breitlingsource.com/watch_detai...omarine_20.html

hmm...not too sure which bracelet youre talking about. i would like to see some pics.

if youre talking about the pro I bracelet....thats the older model.

My mistake. I was on the breitling website after checking out this thread, and mistakenly assumed the model in the 360 view was new. Should have read more carefully and I'd have known that was the old model, not a newer one.....my bad...

I actually like the old bracelet better....now I have to figure out if I can get ahold of one and if it will fit....

Edited by Newdoc