When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen SS White Daytona

Guest asad

I had been on the waiting list for a White Dial SS Daytona for 3 years and finally got the call today. I got there and checked it all out, The sales guy said you want to go ahead and take it? and right then I glanced at the price tag. WOO wait a minute, why is the price soo much higher? (I had completly forgotten about the recent price increase). Well just due to that, I started to have a second thought and asked the guy if he can hold it for me (So I can sleep over it) as spending 10K after taxes is alot of money and this would be my grail piece. He said since I am a loyal customer he will hold it for me over night.

So what I come too you all for is some advice. I started looking and reading up on rep Daytonas and have come too realize if buying a rep Daytona will fullfill my long time urge. I know of the issue at six and wont mind putting in a better swiss or Zenith movement into it. Though the one thing thats itches me is the 3o'clock misalligned subdial. What are some other issues with this watch? and how close are the good reps to the real deal? Also who is the best dealer to get the best rep from?

This is the cheapo ($60) Daytona that I have had, But it just did'nt fullfill the itch.

IMG_0349.jpg

Any help will be greatly appreciated as I don't think I am ready to spend 10 grand on the real deal.

Thanks

It is a hard position to be in. Firstly, if this has been your grail watch for 3 years, and you have always wanted one, your desire for the watch will not disappear.

Secondly, will you think in a years time, 'I wish I had that Daytona on my wrist now, instead of that clapped out rep I bought that is now sitting in the drawer' or 'I'm glad I still have that 10k in the bank to buy another rep Daytona'? If it is the first buy it.

Thirdly, what would the resale value be like on this watch (I am not too knowledgable about the Rolexs). If the resale is good, and in a years time you think the second of the two thoughts, you can always sell it on.

If you are in a stable position, with a secure job, and you can afford to buy the watch, without having to worry about how to pay the next bill, go for it. At least then you will have experienced your holy grail watch. If it doesn't meet your expectations, then sell it on. However, I have a big feeling that you will love it, and in a years time, be looking back on this night as the turning point in your watch collection, and have one of the most sought after Rolex's in your collection!

10k is a shitload of money... but a serious itsch (and i mean really serious) is going away by any rep. I could say what i would do , but i don't have enough $$$ to buy me one, so i don't know what i would if i had the money, but can only guess... i think it's too expensive... look out for a used one on the bay or on timezone or a rolexfoum...

Good luck... and if you buy one, i'd love to see some nice wristshots :)

marbles0101.jpg

Image51.jpg

Only you can make the call as to whether the real thing is worth $10k over a good rep. What I can tell you is that a Swiss 7750 will have the same problems the Asian 7750 has once it is fitted with the extra gearing that relocates the secs subdial to the correct location at 6 on the dial. And the Zenith movement will not fit into the current 116520 Daytona case, because the subdial locations are different. So, if you want the current 116520 Daytona, your choices are pretty much down to either an expensive gen or a (graphite treated) rep (I would recommend Joshua's unless you want to try to source 1 of the rare 1st gen 116520 reps with the correct low-profile case & build a franken out of 2 different reps).

I'm no expert on movements, Rolex watches or their respective resale value...

But I can say that you can could piece together a pretty darn close rep for a fraction of the gen's price tag. Service the movement + graphite and a relume of the dial, gen crown & tube the lower profile case back a gen bracelet ? Just an opinion

Of course if money is not an issue, why not splurge... trust your instincts (and the resale market value ;) )

If it's your dream watch and it's not a stretch on the ol' budget, I'd say go gor it. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Should you decide to sell it down the road, I doubt you'll have problems recovering your investment. Serious economic downturns aside, I see SS Daytonas in the secondary market in the range of $11K-$12.5K. There is also a lot of piece of mind in making such a sizeable purchase form an AD and with all paper work in your name.

Guest carlsbadrolex

I thought I was making the same investment 12 months ago when I spent $1.5m for a house at the beginning of the market decline... Today she is worth $950k. How can a watch that is already so overpriced be a good investment? Are these watches ACTUALLY selling for $11-$12.5k or is that the asking price?

I thought I was making the same investment 12 months ago when I spent $1.5m for a house at the beginning of the market decline... Today she is worth $950k. How can a watch that is already so overpriced be a good investment? Are these watches ACTUALLY selling for $11-$12.5k or is that the asking price?

Sorry to hear about your house. The housing market is a mess and this is starting to hit NYC is a big way as we speak.. :(

The price range I'm quoting is from reputable secondary dealers such Bernardwatch & Watchseller. These folks do not negotiate & the the watches do sell. I've not seen a mint & complete SS Daytona in the secondary market for under $10K.

Here is one offered for $12K, not an AD:

http://bernardwatch.com/Rolex/Daytona-Chronograph/RLX3620

It is a hard position to be in. Firstly, if this has been your grail watch for 3 years, and you have always wanted one, your desire for the watch will not disappear.

Secondly, will you think in a years time, 'I wish I had that Daytona on my wrist now, instead of that clapped out rep I bought that is now sitting in the drawer' or 'I'm glad I still have that 10k in the bank to buy another rep Daytona'? If it is the first buy it.

Thirdly, what would the resale value be like on this watch (I am not too knowledgable about the Rolexs). If the resale is good, and in a years time you think the second of the two thoughts, you can always sell it on.

If you are in a stable position, with a secure job, and you can afford to buy the watch, without having to worry about how to pay the next bill, go for it. At least then you will have experienced your holy grail watch. If it doesn't meet your expectations, then sell it on. However, I have a big feeling that you will love it, and in a years time, be looking back on this night as the turning point in your watch collection, and have one of the most sought after Rolex's in your collection!

Thanks for your suggestion, Though to rephrase myself. It had that grail infactuation 3 years ago, But during that time I had been lusting more for the IWC Big Pilot, Though recently after trying that on, It just did not fit. I don't know If its worth for my to pay a grail price for a watch that I don't consider a grail any more. Also I am not the biggest Rolex fan either. So I am not too sure if this is it. I will kepp you all informed, as to what may happen.

I'd say if you're already having 2nd thoughts, it's probably not the right decision to go forward.

Thanks Peeps, I am leaning towards not going for it.

Joshua has one which i think it is close. check this out:

http://www.pc-80108.com/rlds10009-white-di...del-p-2992.html

i have one of the old model (2001 instead of 2005)

Good luck. $10k for a rolex watch. WOW

Thanks, that is my concern also.

10k is a shitload of money... but a serious itsch (and i mean really serious) is going away by any rep. I could say what i would do , but i don't have enough $$$ to buy me one, so i don't know what i would if i had the money, but can only guess... i think it's too expensive... look out for a used one on the bay or on timezone or a rolexfoum...

Good luck... and if you buy one, i'd love to see some nice wristshots :)

LOL I know, That is probobly the most I will ever spend on a watch. Though honestly it's not that serious of an itch, though I had that one 3 Years ago when I asked to be put on that list. But ever since I have been lusting for some thing else.

Thanks

If you buy it, and then change your mind, how much can you sell it for? As b16a2 says, if you can recover your money, then you should buy it.

Thanks for you suggestion though I think it would be too much trouble to get it then find out that I don't like it, to sell it, even though I might make a few hundred in doing soo.

marbles0101.jpg

Image51.jpg

Only you can make the call as to whether the real thing is worth $10k over a good rep. What I can tell you is that a Swiss 7750 will have the same problems the Asian 7750 has once it is fitted with the extra gearing that relocates the secs subdial to the correct location at 6 on the dial. And the Zenith movement will not fit into the current 116520 Daytona case, because the subdial locations are different. So, if you want the current 116520 Daytona, your choices are pretty much down to either an expensive gen or a (graphite treated) rep (I would recommend Joshua's unless you want to try to source 1 of the rare 1st gen 116520 reps with the correct low-profile case & build a franken out of 2 different reps).

Thanks for that suggestion, and I am well aware of 6'o clock issue, though the pictured one you have there, Is that a Rep?

I'm no expert on movements, Rolex watches or their respective resale value...

But I can say that you can could piece together a pretty darn close rep for a fraction of the gen's price tag. Service the movement + graphite and a relume of the dial, gen crown & tube the lower profile case back a gen bracelet ? Just an opinion

Of course if money is not an issue, why not splurge... trust your instincts (and the resale market value ;) )

Thanks for the information, How much do you think that would be though? I know the gen bracelet is about $1700 used, But how much for the rest of the mods.

If it's your dream watch and it's not a stretch on the ol' budget, I'd say go gor it. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Should you decide to sell it down the road, I doubt you'll have problems recovering your investment. Serious economic downturns aside, I see SS Daytonas in the secondary market in the range of $11K-$12.5K. There is also a lot of piece of mind in making such a sizeable purchase form an AD and with all paper work in your name.

Thanksm I am well aware of that.

Thanks I am well aware of that.

Well from what I know these are'nt going to be as rare as they were, After speaking to the sale assoc at the AD. He said this year is going to be the turn around on the Daytonas as Rolex plans on shipping and fullfilling demand. So we might finally see the 2nd hand market taking a big hit.

In 1978, out of college, I wanted a sub, but couldn't afford it. So I bought a Tudor sub for $475. Still keep the beater.... now worth over $2k.

In 1986, the itch for a 6263 hit. I bought one for $1875. For a steel watch! The AD offered me an 18k one with the chronometer movement for $5,500, which was over my limit. The 6263 is worth $25k or more....

With the markets in turmoil buy the Daytona. Look at it. Wear it. Put it away. In 10 years you will likely do MUCH better than in real estate or your average stock. The watch is really worth $10k. Not because of the materials, but because of the DEMAND. And the waitlist is not getting shorter.

Thanks for that suggestion, and I am well aware of 6'o clock issue, though the pictured one you have there, Is that a Rep?

Mixture of 2 reps (low profile case (with modded CGs) & movement from my 1st generation 116520 rep, dial & rotor from Joshua's 2001 116520 rep) with the addition of gen crown/tube, hands & pushers.

Buy it and flip it. Does your dealer have a return policy? Buy it, don't wear it, make sure you get everything, packaging, hang tags, shipping carton, get it all.

If you can return it, what have you got to lose? Offer it up on eBay, craigslist, whatever. You have an opportunity... take it. It sounds like easy money to me. The markup on the Daytona is proven.

I got the call for a Milgauss, mind you it wasn't the green sapphire, but still had the chance to pick one up. I talked it over with the wife, there was zero sales history in the grey market, wasn't sure of a quick flip, and the wife didn't want me laying down that much cash with a new baby on the way. So I passed. Hind-sight is 20/20 and I could have made a very easy profit. We all know the demand of the Daytona, it seems like no brainer to me.

I don't think you can lose. Just don't wear it, don't even try it on if you buy it.

It sounds to me like you cannot afford the watch....even though you might have the money to buy it....

There is a few things you need to consider in order to determine if you can actually afford the watch....

1. Credit card debt....

If you have any credit card debt this needs to be taken care of before you can even ponder the idea of spending $10K on a watch....

2. Other forms of debt....

Must be taken care of also....

3. Savings....

You must have a minimum of $100,000 saved up in order to justify spending $10K on a watch....(Some would say $150,000 +)....otherwise you are wasting away your hard earned money that should go into savings or retirement....

4. Investments.....

If you do not have some kind of retirement fund or other investment opportunities set up for yourself then you are definitely wasting your money buying a $10K watch....

More than likely you know all of this....but if you dont....this is the kind of stuff that needs to be considered when determining if you can afford it or not....

NS