When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Panerai Daylight 196

Stephane

Panerai 196

Panerai196_Kruz_800_04.jpg

Dear All,

I finally made it but wouldn't have done without RWG and a little help from a friend.

The Grail

Precisely 2 years ago I ordered the same watch from an eBay seller.

I loved it but of course, as I didn't yet discover RWG, it wasn't "perfectly" accurate.

Since then I tried to find a better example.

Today it is on my wrist :blush:

Panerai196_Kruz_800_03.jpg

A nice story

Now and then senior members were showing their Daylights here.

One of them was the one I really would buy if it was for sale: Kruzer's 196.

A true torture for me :black_eye:

I started to let him know in every post where I saw his 196 that I loved it so much ;)

I recently spent some days in the Big Apple and had the chance to see this baby in the flesh.

Kruzer and I had a lunch together and he did me the favour to bring it so I could touch it, sniff it :in_love:

Shortly after I returned I got a mail.

I couldn't believe what I read: I received the first option on buying that beauty!

:sorcerer:

The watch

It's an Old case 196.

The case back is individually serialized 002; second one of the lot from the initial Honpo order.

Panerai196_Kruz_800_11.jpg

It is a genuine Swiss ETA 7753 that beats under a single ARed crystal by Chieftang.

The date wheel is a Lello or Finepics one (Kruz couldn't remember).

The combo is great the date isn't sunk and set by the quick set button at 50.

Panerai196_Kruz_800_05.jpg

The dial and hands have been lumed by Ziggy. Look at how precise the work is :v:

Panerai196_Kruz_800_07.jpg

Panerai196_Kruz_800_16.jpg

A genuine crown is installed and the CG is modified for solid fit and good lever movement.

A true pleasure to use it.

Panerai196_Kruz_800_08.jpg

Panerai196_Kruz_800_09.jpg

The following picture speaks for itself about the fine work done by Ziggy here also.

Panerai196_Kruz_800_10.jpg

Finally, a genuine Panerai brown alligator strap has been generously added to the watch by his previous owner :clap3:

Panerai196_Kruz_800_12.jpg

Panerai196_Kruz_800_13.jpg

The men behind the watch

Ziggy

This is my first Ziggyfied watch and believe me, the work is amazing, including under the loupe.

I read so many compliments about his work that I'm happy to confirm he does a great job.

Hard to believe that it is possible to lume this small parts that well.

Congratulations Ziggy, I'm really impressed. :1a:

Kruzer00

Well, he is a great collector of rep and gens for sure.

Most of his rep watches are modded to perfection including this 196.

There is something else I would like to say though.

He is a generous and elegant person, no doubt.

I'm not sure he really wanted to part with it, he was surely not looking for "a DEAL"

I suspect a part of his decision to sell it is to do me a favour as he knew I was badly seeking one.

:notworthy:

I hope you had a good time!

Thanks for looking and reading.

:bye1:

Cheers

Stephane

PS: One question for members with Panerai knowledge

I bought this strap a while ago.

It's hard rubber, not the soft chitty one.

Is it accurate to wear the 196 with that strap or is it completely stupid?

Panerai196_Kruz_800_14.jpg

Panerai196_Kruz_800_15.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stephane-

Glad to see you are enjoying it. Pictures look great as well. They never look that good on my wrist. :lol: And yes Ziggy did a masterful job on that one. I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of it.

Mickey-

Actually the first year of the 196 did not have luminor on the caseback (or at least I have seen several gens from that year without it). It was based off the 162 which was the first daylight and it didn't have it either. The 188's do seem to usually have it. But I have never seen a gen g series 188.

Guest porsche356a

Congrats Stephane. that is one beautiful 196, from a serious and true collector. Im sure Kruzer knows it went to a good home where she'll be truly appreciated. This should round out your collection quite nicely. :)

I too have a special 7753 based pam, although mine is a 188. I purchased it last year from TK471. Same specs, as yours, but this one has a Gen CG to boot. Wear it in good health, mon ami. These are definitely one-offs. Now if I can only get a Gen 188 Dial.......

IMG_1543.jpg

Guest Sql_pl

Wow.

Spectacular watch.

Got one of the very first 7750 powered 196s and missed the train when they released 7753s.... when I wanted to buy one (and even paid for one) it suddenly turned out they were all gone. Switched my order to Honpo 187 then...

Later there was a light of hope when they re-relased 7753s but these had wrong cases and shitty dials so even the idea of getting new 7753 daylight and swapping movement/dal into my old cased 196 had to go away...

So I am sitting here with my 7750 sunken date 196 looking at your beauty.... but have to tell you I love mine too. Will be sending it to k2222 for the AR job tomorrow.

Wear it well Stephane!

BTW. Don't you wonder how come this model is so unpopular both here and at gen boards? At P**eristi it looks like almost NO ONE owns a 196...

Guest Sql_pl
Beautiful! One of the best reps out there! Is this the Pam that is worn in Transporter 2?

Yes that's the same watch. But Chinese rep makers never managed to put Alarm function into it so there is one dead giveaway.....

Good Lord !!! What a watch !!!! The Zigmeister strikes again !!!!!! Screw Basel let's have a spring The Zigmeisterworld convention !!!!

thank you for sharing your Joy and that beauty of a 196.. good things are truly worth waiting for.. I have had mine for about the same time .. and not worn it .. because of the DW.. but leelo had another run of the Dw's for this and now with kruzers OEM crown and lello's DW.. it is waiting to make it's way to the land of Zig .. this summer..

LIVE STRONG AND WEAR IT WELL Stephane...

Aloha

Lani

@All, thanks for your kind words and taking the time to read and share my new lovely baby.

Why not wear the rubber? If you love it, go for it!

FYI, the rubber does come in the Gen set.

Thanks Anton, I will when I need to approach water then :)

Stephane-

Glad to see you are enjoying it. Pictures look great as well. They never look that good on my wrist. :lol: And yes Ziggy did a masterful job on that one. I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of it.

Mickey-

Actually the first year of the 196 did not have luminor on the caseback (or at least I have seen several gens from that year without it). It was based off the 162 which was the first daylight and it didn't have it either. The 188's do seem to usually have it. But I have never seen a gen g series 188.

I'm sure I will enjoy it for many years indeed. It's for sure one which is not going to leave my home ...unless I become homeless!

Thanks again, I'm trully happy :wub:

Congrats Stephane. that is one beautiful 196, from a serious and true collector. Im sure Kruzer knows it went to a good home where she'll be truly appreciated. This should round out your collection quite nicely. :)

I too have a special 7753 based pam, although mine is a 188. I purchased it last year from TK471. Same specs, as yours, but this one has a Gen CG to boot. Wear it in good health, mon ami. These are definitely one-offs. Now if I can only get a Gen 188 Dial.......

Wow, that is one fine Daylight too ! Congrats.

The gen rubber I have is also a lot harder and less comfortable than the Angus' "ultimate" one. :lol:

Yes, sounds like if we want to look gen, we have to suffer :angry:

great watch,fortunately I have two of them, one 7753 lelloed and finepiced, and one asia powered, but yours is perfectly modded.

I suspected that there were quite a lot of nice examples out there...Imagine how hard it was to wait for one!

Wow.

Spectacular watch.

Got one of the very first 7750 powered 196s and missed the train when they released 7753s.... when I wanted to buy one (and even paid for one) it suddenly turned out they were all gone. Switched my order to Honpo 187 then...

Later there was a light of hope when they re-relased 7753s but these had wrong cases and shitty dials so even the idea of getting new 7753 daylight and swapping movement/dal into my old cased 196 had to go away...

So I am sitting here with my 7750 sunken date 196 looking at your beauty.... but have to tell you I love mine too. Will be sending it to k2222 for the AR job tomorrow.

Wear it well Stephane!

BTW. Don't you wonder how come this model is so unpopular both here and at gen boards? At P**eristi it looks like almost NO ONE owns a 196...

Now, I feel even more like a lucky bastard.

I wonder why they are unpopular indeed.

Seriously, if I had to choose between this one or another chrono, only the 3717 would be first, surely not the Daytonas.

Monsieur Stephane, that's a real beauty! Congrats :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks Monsieur Scoobs. Now we can post them in the wristchecks, both of us :1a:

thank you for sharing your Joy and that beauty of a 196.. good things are truly worth waiting for.. I have had mine for about the same time .. and not worn it .. because of the DW.. but leelo had another run of the Dw's for this and now with kruzers OEM crown and lello's DW.. it is waiting to make it's way to the land of Zig .. this summer..

LIVE STRONG AND WEAR IT WELL Stephane...

Aloha

Lani

I see you are very patient Lani. I'm sure you will love it when it comes back from Ziggy.

You're very lucky to have obtained this piece, and coming from W makes it all the more sweet.

Enjoy!

You're so right, I'm really lucky to have obtained it, I realize that.

And now I know what is single AR :)

Very nice Stephane.

I'll be ready to obtain it when you tire of it. :)

Never say never, but believe me this one, like my vintage Rollies and my 3717 are the last one I would sell and only if I can't feed my kids anymore :o

I would even sell my gens first I think.

Never say never, but believe me this one, like my vintage Rollies and my 3717 are the last one I would sell and only if I can't feed my kids anymore :o

I would even sell my gens first I think.

Dude if you couldn't feed your kids I'd buy the watch and let you hold onto it for me.

Yea, single AR in no way shape or form holds a candle to double AR, but it's accurate for PAMs, so that's the route we went. I did the same thing to my 196.

Well, I forgot to mention that this is my first Chief watch (second one will be Bazz's Ingy that is on the way).

It's my first North American time piece :lol:

I love the effect on the 196. It is indeed not showing blue as often as a double AR but hey, in certain angles the crystal still disappears.

Here is a shot I took with the rubber bracelet on today.

Panerai196_Kruz_800_19.jpg