When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Date overlay alignment

ShawnBeever

I would like to re-align the date wheel overlay on my MBW 1665 as the date position moves from right to left as the month goes on.

If I remove and refit the overlay does any one have any tips to make sure the overlay is correctly centred on the date wheel, its got the standard eta 2836-2.

Thanks.

My experience has been that this is a hit and miss proposition. The best advice that I can offer is to clean the back of the date overlay and the ETA date disc as best you can. Rotate the crown to click a new date into position then, push the crown fully in. This will insure that the date is in the proper position. Use a glue such as Hypo that will give you time to adjust before it sets. Use six or eight small dots of glue around the back of the overlay. Notice the date that is directly opposite the actual date on the ETA wheel. Carefully set the overlay aligning it with the two dates and making sure that the disc is centered over the ETA wheel. Drop your dial over the overlay to check for alignment. If it is acceptable, pull the crown to the date setting position and rotate the dates to check that you have it centered properly. If the date isn't centered....start at the beginning again.

If anyone has an easy sure fire way to accomplish this, I would love to hear about it.

Edited by jdavis

There is no easy way. It is a major pain in the a$$. I have left both my MBWs at a point that is good enough, but I am still not 100% happy. Once the window is magnified under the cyclops, any misalignment is obvious. Out of 31 days, I would say 25 or so are nice, I wear a different watch on the bad days. :(

I would recommend a 30 min epoxy. I need all the time I can get. :lol:

Sand the old date disk to the metal if you can since you will be making it thicker, you will need the extra clearance.

Good luck!

For goodness sake, don't use epoxy :o

If you ever need to get back into the movement from the top, the epoxy glued overlay will be impossible to remove and the release for the ETA disc will be covered. Not a good idea! Use Hypo cement. It will hold firmly yet allow you to slide a razor between the two disc to release the overlay and allow access to the movement.

also, be very careful with G&S or any other adhesive for that matter. I find the G&S cement "spider-webs". What I mean is, if you are not careful, the glue can leave a very fine stringy residue in places where you don't want, or need glue! It is very difficult to remove or clean from a movement. just make sure your applicator, or tip is very clean, have some alcohol around to keep it clean.

• 3 weeks later...

I was hoping there would be an easier answer to the date wheel alignment issue, but it seam nobody had a decent answer to the problem.

I gave it a bit of thought and came up with this gauge, which is a few concentric circles printed on to acetate sheet. The outer one coincides with the outside diameter of a 2836. The inner ones approximate to the size of the date wheel. The cross allows you to line up the date number with the stem.

Project085.jpg.

Here you can see it over a 2836 with watchmaster date wheel. If you look at 1,11 and 22 you can see that the date is not concentric with the circles using some slow setting glue you can move the date wheel around and get the alignment correct. Once the date wheel is running true you can move the dial around to centre the date in the window of the dial.

Project084.jpg

I can now wear my 1665 all month rather than missing out these 5 depressing badly aligned days.

I printed out a sheet of the gauges, If any supporters want one PM me and follow up with a SAE.

overlays can be bought from cubic-works over in Hong Kong

http://www.cubic-works.com/watchtools/index.html-

I certainly like Shawn's concentric circles- cool idea. But I do think sometimes the problem is that the dates aren't always aligned on the wheel. Luckily, on my frankenjust, they are just slightly off on only a couple of days.

My link didn't work, but you can type in cubic-works and go to tools and at the end of the list- springbars page and scroll down

Guest carlsbadrolex
overlays can be bought from cubic-works over in Hong Kong

http://www.cubic-works.com/watchtools/index.html-

I certainly like Shawn's concentric circles- cool idea. But I do think sometimes the problem is that the dates aren't always aligned on the wheel. Luckily, on my frankenjust, they are just slightly off on only a couple of days.

My link didn't work, but you can type in cubic-works and go to tools and at the end of the list- springbars page and scroll down

That has been my assumption from the very beginning of this habit. Some datewheels are simply not printed properly. It annoys me more when a date is further right or left in the window than high or low.