When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC Portofino Chrono.. Cream Gold Dial

IWC Portofino Chrono

No time for a review .. now.. but I had to get these pics up since it is one of the richest combo dial and markers ... IMO

Cream (Champagne) dial/gold markers and hands

44 mm case to crown

ss case

A7750

Double AR

sub seconds @9

min. @12

hours @6

the dial is satin finished the subs are concentric rings.. they will change their colours according to the lighting.. from the same as the dial to gold to darker and lighter.. only drawing of the genuine so until i can find a real life image.. i won't do a full assesment..

dsc0006ml5.jpg

dsc0007zj6.jpg

dsc0012ol3.jpg

0013ld2.jpg

Nice piece Lanikai.

How thick is that thing?

And...how's the rep strap on it?

I have an A. Lange & Sohne whose strap sucks (bad black croc grain and very thin)...and with the IWCs, I like the deployment clasp option but the 21mm size is weird, and the aftermarket straps I like have the buckle sewn in meaning I don't want to try cutting it lest I damage the s trap.

Nice piece Lanikai.

How thick is that thing?

And...how's the rep strap on it?

I have an A. Lange & Sohne whose strap sucks (bad black croc grain and very thin)...and with the IWCs, I like the deployment clasp option but the 21mm size is weird, and the aftermarket straps I like have the buckle sewn in meaning I don't want to try cutting it lest I damage the s trap.

it is "Fat" meaning cool.. :lol: .. between 12 and 14 without looking at the genuine or rep specs..

the strap takes everything away from the piece... gotta get one made.. genuine alligator would really top it of .. no doubt !!

Actually i wanted the SS version dial.. my collector said that the ss is not listed on the genuine catalogue.. I asked to be sent the most accurate.. and this is it.. the pics on the collectors site does not do this dial justice.. fo real !! B)

Classy

BTW ... how many watches you have Lanikai ??? :-)

I don't know.. :rolleyes: .. i don't collect watches just to wear.. i like viewing them as art.... i may wear a few during a 24 hour period... and my attraction changes from month to month at times..

beleive it or not I wear them most of the time.. when I don't come into contact with a lot of people.. so they are mainly for "personal " enjoyment.. :D

Very nice watch, Lani! Difficult to see on the pics, but is the subdial really recessed or did they just use a different dial part to simulate this effect?

The dial does not seem to be a cannabalized piece.. I'll try to take more detailed pics today scoobs... stayed up too late and payed for it trying to get up at 12 am.. sheesh.. slept through 3 different alarms.. and they are the loudest known to civilized man.. :lol:

they appear recessed as I looked through a loupe at the dial.. the stain finish is very very fine ...and the concentric rings in the sub dials (my favourite) are very well done..

kruzer00 Posted Today, 01:58 AM

Lanikai-

I know this is subjective but how does it feel on the wrist? I always felt that the original chrono and FA Jones felt light and cheap relative to other IWC reps. Also with the thinner case on a larger watch you could really hear and feel the quality of the movement.

Wow Kruzer.. i am not as into the Zen of watches yet.. still apprenticing... :lol: .. but I agree about the FA Jones.. i have 2 from 06.. and they did a good job of replicating them but theres nothing that set's them apart..

the Portofino feels solid on the wrist.. again my mind set cannot deal with the fake gator strap.. but I am attracted to the round lines and thickness of the case.. reminds me of the antique pocket watches.... and I should have weighed it.... but the way they have been replicating this years models I am going to assume that it is very close to genuine..

Very nice watch, Lani! Difficult to see on the pics, but is the subdial really recessed or did they just use a different dial part to simulate this effect?

0007alt7.jpg

Ok scoobs...

the sub second @9 is definately recessed on the pic..the hour @6,... and minute sub @12 are bordered with a gold ring..

I'll take macro pics some time this week..

0007alt7.jpg

Ok scoobs...

the sub second @9 is definately recessed on the pic..the hour @6,... and minute sub @12 are bordered with a gold ring..

I'll take macro pics some time this week..

Hey! Bro! You're killing me! You gotta stop this! What's wrong with you man? Firts the Chopard, now this! Are you trying to bankrupt me?

Aloha!

Hike

comparison

iwcportofinoiw378303000ck3.jpg

img2846wg5.jpg

looking at the rings through a loupe the rep is recessed more than the pics will show.. the light bouncing of the gold makes a difference.. but the rings on the rep are definately thinner.... well, if not for those rings being thinner we would have a definate winner.. but second place is the first to loose.. :lol:

thank you scoobs for finding the genuine pic :notworthy:

edit add: the stick markers on the genuine appear to be rounded as well .. the rep seems square

img2846wg5.jpg

thank you scoobs for finding the genuine pic :notworthy:

edit add: the stick markers on the genuine appear to be rounded as well .. the rep seems square

Wow, Lani, that's an awesome comparison pic!!! You might have convinced me buying the black version... :)

And you have to thank Piratedzeus for posting the hi res pic first. But Joyful Collection should be anyone's first choice for finding hi res gen pics.....

Wear it in good health!

Nice watch Lani, I think I'll add one to my IWC family quite soon :)

Just one question - you say that you got cream dial version, and these is pic of the cream/gold dial Josh have on its site:

31.jpg

And, this is one that is listed as white/gold:

27.jpg

I must say that watch on your pictures look much more like white dial one ? Of course it could be because of lightning in the picture, but difference seems quite extreme. And since I REALLY love watch in your pictures, I would like to be sure what version it is ;)

regards

Nice watch Lani, I think I'll add one to my IWC family quite soon :)

Just one question - you say that you got cream dial version, and these is pic of the cream/gold dial Josh have on its site:

31.jpg

And, this is one that is listed as white/gold:

27.jpg

I must say that watch on your pictures look much more like white dial one ? Of course it could be because of lightning in the picture, but difference seems quite extreme. And since I REALLY love watch in your pictures, I would like to be sure what version it is ;)

regards

Z... it is the cream dial.. the pics you posted are because of the "saturation level" in the image processing (too white)... the pics you saw of my Portofino is the actual "cream" or champagne colour..

the only 2 that IWC list in their catalouge at the moment is the black dial and the cream dial with gold stick markers and gold hands.. the lower pic you have is the correct one..the gold and white dials are not listed .. that does not mean they don't exist... but you will be happy with the cream colour dial,.. IMO it's the best looking one..

one other point the colour of the gold markers is more a 18k look .. very nice darker looking gold... it really is not the light tone of 14k like in the pics the collectors have.

and Thankyou .... L