When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Toad's Review of the Franck Muller Crazy Hours Color Dreams

Toadtorrent

Excellent review. Mrs Pugwash has a Crazy Hours, but the jump isn't as snappy any more. I think it must have got knocked or something. I'll be taking a look shortly so hopefully, we can have some complication photos. :)

I bought hers from Narikaa.

Thanks for the review! I didn't realize reps of the crazy hours even existed. I'm shocked that the pricing is so reasonable. I'm also baffled for all that is done right, the case back has spelling errors. I never understood that. Anyway, I'm new to this community and only own a single GEN which is the 2007 Tag F1. I've ordered the Omega SMP from PT and am working with Eurotimez to purchase the "noobmariner". The 2 "newbie bate" watches I guess! But, I've always wanted the crazy hours. It looks like I should get the rep and replace the band then try and source the back. If anyone knows of any good sources, please let us know!

You can get a Crazy Hours with a more correct caseback and crisper engraving if you just buy the normal crazy hours, not the color dreams version, shame because I prefer the color dreams, now, I did get mine with the caseback from the normal one and the color dreams dial, the engraving on the caseback is really well done and no spelling mistakes at all, it's really crisp like the ones from a $300 rep. I guess any dealer can get you one like mine.

You can get a Crazy Hours with a more correct caseback and crisper engraving if you just buy the normal crazy hours, not the color dreams version, shame because I prefer the color dreams, now, I did get mine with the caseback from the normal one and the color dreams dial, the engraving on the caseback is really well done and no spelling mistakes at all, it's really crisp like the ones from a $300 rep. I guess any dealer can get you one like mine.

That's really good to hear because I want the colordreams dial with a better caseback. Even if it isn't the greatest representation, I can deal with it if there are no misspellings. I'll ask my dealer about this. Thanks for the advice.

• 3 weeks later...
That's really good to hear because I want the colordreams dial with a better caseback. Even if it isn't the greatest representation, I can deal with it if there are no misspellings. I'll ask my dealer about this. Thanks for the advice.

Jay has apparently sourced me a Color Dreams Crazy Hours with a Crazy Hours caseback engraved without spelling errors, instead of the ColorDbeams one...stay tuned. It should arrive in a little while.

Thanks for an outstanding review of one of the less known good buys!

I will add this review to the "Bargain Replicas" thread! :)

Did the price go up after this review? I have looked at a couple of the collectors' websites and can't find one for under $200. None of the sites I looked at mention the jumping hours either. Is it a understood that this watch only comes with the jumping hours? I have seen an automatic ETA 2824-2 movement offered.

Nope...still available. You can send Josh, Andrew or Jay an email and they should be able to get what you need...make sure to send a reference picture so you don't get the wrong dial (the one with the long serif tail on the #1's).

There is an ETA version and an Asian version.

This is a stunning review. I have completely missed it when it was intially released... thanks for the bump guys!

Crazy Hours is such a wild watch... it's straight from the Twilight Zone... just look at the fonts on the dial! :)

Yep, it's an amazing watch for the money, the hour hand 'jumps' swiftly and without any problems, the dial is really nice on the correct version (I have the wrong dial font but the correct spelling case back, go figure), I'm still hunting for a genuine dial to swap instead of getting a rep dial, but no luck so far.

Here's the WRONG dial font and hands:

FM002LB03.JPG

Notice the 1 it has a 'tail', the 11 is wrong too, and all the numbers are too big compared to gen. The jumping hour hand is too rounded in the middle, the minute hand is as it should be.

Here's the CORRECT dial font (both Color Dreams and 'normal' crazy hour):

FM002LB02.JPG

Notice the 1 - it's nice and slim, and not too big. Also notice the hands, nice and lean.

Here's a gen. For comparison:

c765_1.JPG

There are a lot of variations, from the crazy color dreams to blue, green, pink, black, white, etc. On the non-color dreams version.

Edited by guanaco

i love these watches and im gunna buy one right now.. this thread convinced me!

gunna be the crazy hours color dreams black dial... gotta find one with the right font...

woo hoo!

dizz

With this crazy watch, I wonder how a crazy pam would go? Maybe a sandwich dial, with roman numerals, using the movement from the crazy hours? Now there would be an interesting project! I have too many project ideas and not enough time, money, patience, or skill to enact any of them at the moment.

What are you waiting for go-go-go!!! =D

I've got another coming from Jay...supposedly with the right caseback he tells me. I'll post an update to the guide when it comes...and I'll post a comparison of the various "#1's" as well...my digicam broke though...so I'll have to find a replacement.

• 3 months later...
I've got another coming from Jay...supposedly with the right caseback he tells me. I'll post an update to the guide when it comes...and I'll post a comparison of the various "#1's" as well...my digicam broke though...so I'll have to find a replacement.

Where can I get one from?

I need it for the 1st October, it's our wedding aniversey..........

Cheers

Lee

Where can I get one from?

I need it for the 1st October, it's our wedding aniversey..........

Cheers

Lee

The deadline's tight for 1st of Oct...depending on where it's going. You can try any of the dealers here. Mine was from Silix. Check the dealers section of the board. I ended up getting the same incorrect caseback...oh well, what can you do. That's the world of reps.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Hey Toad, great review thank you very much!

I've heard a mixed bag about the movement reliability of the modified dg2813 that goes in these watches. Has yours held up since april? Did you ever end up getting the correct case back crazy dreams version?

I'm getting inconsistent results. The auto-winding on 2 of my movements has not been great...but manual winding has been fine...and occasionally an hour gets a missing jump...not sure what's happening here.

• 1 month later...

Toad, is this still giving you problems? I just bumped into this review and was considering one myself. Your review was/is fantastic - exactly what attracted me to this site.