When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A Problem Dismounting a Portuguese

Francisco

Guest avitt

Francisco,

It looks like case clamps are used on the second type (I think I can see one under the top of the rotor in your picture). If you remove these, the movement and dial should drop out from the back. Good luck.

Francisco,

It looks like case clamps are used on the second type (I think I can see one under the top of the rotor in your picture). If you remove these, the movement and dial should drop out from the back. Good luck.

No. I have dissambled at least 8 Portugueses. I know how to do it for type A. For type B, the problem is that the dial is so big that you cannot remove it from the back. THE DIAL IS RESTING ON THE CASE.

As the movement is fastening the dial, if you try to remove the movement from the back, dial will stay in the same place, you cannot remove it from the back, the hands will pop-off,... Later you will not be able to mount the dial and the hands, because you cannot reach them.

Francisco.

I have a Mont Blanc Timewalker and that too has a dial which is too large to pass through the back of the case, I've never taken the movement out but I'm told that you have to pry the front bezel off to remove the movement and dial through the front of the watch.

As there's clearly no way to take the dial through the back I think that's probably what you need to do.

I was going to suggest the same thing Ziggy said, but then I noticed what Avitt is talking about

Image1-11.jpg

You should be able to remove the bezel by sliding a razor blade (I use a window scraper tool that holds a razor blade in a metal handle) around the circumference of the bezel. Sometimes, it seems like you are not getting anywhere, but if you keep at it -- working at it all the way around the case -- it should eventually come off. But you will still need to remove the 2 movement clamps.

Thanks for your replies.

What about closing the case and using air thought the hole for the stem to remove the crystal? Withou the crystal perhaps I can manage to remove the mechanism.

Is this easier or more safe than removing the bezel? I am worried about scratches in the golden case.

Thanks again.

Francisco.

What about closing the case and using air thought the hole for the stem to remove the crystal? Withou the crystal perhaps I can manage to remove the mechanism.

Is this easier or more safe than removing the bezel? I am worried about scratches in the golden case.

Trying to blow the crystal off with pressurized air is a very bad idea. Along with the crystal, you are likely to blow the dial, hands & parts of the movement out of the watch in the process. If you are worried about damaging the gold plating on the case, try putting masking tape on the case & be very careful with the razor. If you are careful, the razor should not damage the case.

Hi Francisco, did you post this question in c or k??

I think I didn't see :p

Anyway, I knew this from some time ago as I found it with two portugueses I got from Juan. My watchsmith told me it came out and in just with "force"...yes I was shocked too... :huh:

The one I have has the four bolts.

(Vamos que el bisel junto con el cristal salen y entran a presi

Edited by jarpo

I have a Mont Blanc Timewalker and that too has a dial which is too large to pass through the back of the case, I've never taken the movement out but I'm told that you have to pry the front bezel off to remove the movement and dial through the front of the watch.

As there's clearly no way to take the dial through the back I think that's probably what you need to do.

Azer, do you remember where you heard this? I'm trying to do this and don't want to damage anything

Azer, do you remember where you heard this? I'm trying to do this and don't want to damage anything

If you look around the edge of the front bezel with a loupe you should see a small indent to allow you to get a knife blade or similar in to prise the bezel off, needless to say great care needed. See pic.

post-4269-1208197074_thumb.jpg

If you look around the edge of the front bezel with a loupe you should see a small indent to allow you to get a knife blade or similar in to prise the bezel off, needless to say great care needed. See pic.

post-4269-1208197074_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your replies. Work is done

I used a knive and tape to protect the golden case. No scratchs.

I usually use a 1.8mm flat ground (not hollow ground) screwdriver that I eased the edges on (rounded) so it won't mar the cases easily... unless the snap caseback (or in this case the bezel) is too tight or it is a "base metal" case...

then I use a case knife, or in the case of a bezel, a 4 blade bezel tool and a crystal remover...

Compressed air can damage fragile internal parts (bent wheels, hairspring, edges of the dial, etc..) and even with a good trap, you will never get all of the moisture out of the air, so even if you don't damage something immediately, you've blown invisible moisture into all the nooks and crannies really good, so if you don't to a thorough cleaning and service immediately, you'll most likely get corrosion/rust very soon thereafter.

I usually use a 1.8mm flat ground (not hollow ground) screwdriver that I eased the edges on (rounded) so it won't mar the cases easily... unless the snap caseback (or in this case the bezel) is too tight or it is a "base metal" case...

then I use a case knife, or in the case of a bezel, a 4 blade bezel tool and a crystal remover...

Compressed air can damage fragile internal parts (bent wheels, hairspring, edges of the dial, etc..) and even with a good trap, you will never get all of the moisture out of the air, so even if you don't damage something immediately, you've blown invisible moisture into all the nooks and crannies really good, so if you don't to a thorough cleaning and service immediately, you'll most likely get corrosion/rust very soon thereafter.

Good information. A colleague suggested me the air method. He usues an air compressosr to remove crystals :o

• 1 month later...
Francisco

When you removed the bezel did you notice if the 4 screw holes for the case back actually go through the metal the whole way?

Did you take any other pics?

if so please post them

Hi:

If you have the version which uses screws to fasten the bezel+crytal, yes, the holes pass troguh the case, to let the screws to fasten the bezel. I have no more pictures, sorry

Francisco.

Yeah, i know that as this is the version i have

But today i got a patek watch and it was very similar to the new porto in that there are no screws to hold the bezel in place, but the screw hols for the case back went al the way through so i just put a screwdriver in the hole and hit it with a small watch hammer and the bezel popped off!

I was wondering if this was the same for the new porto?

Yeah, i know that as this is the version i have

But today i got a patek watch and it was very similar to the new porto in that there are no screws to hold the bezel in place, but the screw hols for the case back went al the way through so i just put a screwdriver in the hole and hit it with a small watch hammer and the bezel popped off!

I was wondering if this was the same for the new porto?

Yes, same procedure or you can use a bezel remover, but they are expensive.

Another possible option if you have a decent drill press is to drill your own hole where one of the screws would have gone. You'll need to get the depth exactly right.. not hard on a good press. and you'll need to protect the movement from any debris. Once you're at the correct depth a suitable pin can be used to push the bezel off from inside