When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Test: The Oris Carlos Coste Chronograph Limited Edition replica

Seadweller4000

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my summer beater. I don't scubadive with it, but I swim and shower with it. Having said that.... this does not mean that all Carlos Coste reps can be used for that because one thing that separates gens from even good reps is the total lack of QC. This means, you could have a watch with a loose caseback, ungreased or absent seals, deformed or striped tube.....

Before getting your rep wet, check it and have it pressure tested by a watchmaker.

This is my summer beater. I don't scubadive with it, but I swim and shower with it. Having said that.... this does not mean that all Carlos Coste reps can be used for that because one thing that separates gens from even good reps is the total lack of QC. This means, you could have a watch with a loose caseback, ungreased or absent seals, deformed or striped tube.....

Before getting your rep wet, check it and have it pressure tested by a watchmaker.

Unfortunately i don't know a watchmaker that does this job here where i am :( I agree you cannot trust a rep, and thats why you pay less for it :)

What other reps come with waterproof indication from the seller?

I have used my UPO, my SFSO, my MBW 16610, my 16610 noobmariner and my PAM111h in the water.

Generally, a non chrono watch will be more likely to survive as pushers (if they are not screw down as with the Oris CC) are potential leaks. However, all the aforementioned watches were checked by me or a watchmaker (caseback tight?, crystal ok?, manufacturing defects?, tube striped? seals present and greased?) before they saw any water. I bought a Bergeon water proof watch pressure tester on ebay a couple of years ago and now have a watchmaker who does the test as part of the movement service.

• 5 months later...

I love the looks of this watch, but was concerned about the size and thickness. With your comments (especially saying it wears no larger than a 44mm pam), you have removed most of my doubts. It's still one of the thickest watches around, but so good looking. In a lot of the pix, the orange decor looks almost like old ivory - a mellow, aged look and style. I like the lefty style too, for something this big. And, as with the original Italian navy diver pams, it does serve a purpose (beyond current comfort) by keeping the working parts out of the way. For a soldier/diver, a bash could stop a watch and cost your life when truly in harm's way...

• 2 months later...

This watch really does wear more like a 44mm. I have 6.5 wrist and can still wear it fine. I like "THICK" watches and that is the reason I think this wears more like a 44mm. It's a chunk 'o metal but I absolutely love mine....Just bough 2 custom leather straps to go with it. I have watched this watch for quite some time and thought it would be too big, but if you can wear a 45mm UPO or Rollie DSSD or a PAM 44mm then you can wear this watch....Dont hesitate....

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...