When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage Omegas Replicas Have To Be Made!!

marrickvilleboy

I was looking around and spotted a few old school omega divers watches and can't believe there is no replicas of them at all. I'm talking about these two old schoolers:

-Omega Seamaster 300.

-Omega Ploprof 600.

heres a picture for those who don't know what i'm talking about.

73675-32022.jpg

73675-32023.jpg

Now alot of us know that the Omega Seamaster 300 has been frankensteined alot, carrying genuine movements with fake dial/hands/bezel and case. But I also found out today that the same guys in Vietnam also made the Omega Ploprof 600 which carried genuine movement, but fake everything else.

I know the ploprof isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I think its a great divers watch, and they only rising in price now for collectors, but i also know its useless even if we rallied to have these watches re-created for us so I guess we can only dream.

:(

Edited by Marrickvilleboy

The seamasters aren't too expensive; I keep looking at them on ebay. Cost of a good rep or two for the gen.

Most of what's on eBay are fakes or frankenwatches. Have to look out for stubbies, pointed A's, wrong hands, bezels, etc. There are very few correct ones listed- Those usually sell for quite a lot more...

Most of what's on eBay are fakes or frankenwatches. Have to look out for stubbies, pointed A's, wrong hands, bezels, etc. There are very few correct ones listed- Those usually sell for quite a lot more...

You are right; I think if I was going to get one I would go through a more reputable dealer though. The only 2 watches I have though about getting off ebay are an old Bulova Accutron and a Tag Heuer Monico Steve McQueen (not repped and I can spot problems on it well enough).

This would definitely be one to have in the collection. I remember when Ubi first posted pics of his gen. That's a sweet watch!

Danke, sire! I love the vintage SM300... It's got a beauty and charm to it that pics just can't capture. Lately, however, I find that I spend more time looking at mine than wearing it- I'm a little worried about the aging tritium in the hands crumbling off and finding it's way into the movement :blink:

You are right; I think if I was going to get one I would go through a more reputable dealer though. The only 2 watches I have though about getting off ebay are an old Bulova Accutron and a Tag Heuer Monico Steve McQueen (not repped and I can spot problems on it well enough).

Mmmmm... I've been looking at McQueen Monacos for a while now. I may have to just pull the trigger on one before long. I'm always hopeful that a high quality rep with maybe a 7734 w/date or a good DD rep'd module for a 2892 will find it's way into our world (but I think I'm just holding my breath).

As for the SM300- Amidst the frankies and the cobbled together examples on eBay, you can find a good legit one, but the prices are sometimes high. Just pay careful attention to the details... The good ones will usually have nice detailed pics to examine... :)

The McQueens seem to be reasonable at under 2K. The thing holding me back is I know I would never wear it; I would just look at it (I would be buying it because it was the Steve McQueen Monaco and I liked the movie, I know my panerais or 1680 red sub would always jump on the wrist first). If there was no connection to McQueen / LeMans I know I would never buy it; so that seems like a silly reason to pull the trigger.

Perhaps Ms. Future Craytonic will purchase one for me as a gift to pay back all that crappy david yuman stuff I buy her (She loves his jewelry, I am not the biggest fan). One can always hope.

Well I own a Mcqueen 2894 and I wear it, dial and finish is about perfect for the price, the croc strap is of a GREAT quality IMHO and easy to wear, almost dress watch to me, believe me you'd wear it -

What we can't do is wear only one watch a week, I alternate almost everyday now! That's why I own a reduced -but good- collection, a vintage omeage would be a nice touch though for me a 300 wouldn't look weird in my box!

What we can't do is wear only one watch a week, I alternate almost everyday now! That's why I own a reduced -but good- collection, a vintage omeage would be a nice touch though for me a 300 wouldn't look weird in my box!

Wearing only one watch a week... I usually only wear my 1665 SD, but this past week the Daytona frankenstein has claimed ownership! :lol:

Speaking of watch box... Did you get your Scattola yet?

Cant say much about the Ploprof, but I'd be ALL OVER a decent 300 rep...Just a dial, hands, bezel exercize...The case and bracelet appear to be fairly common stuff .....Looks like fertile ground for a guy like Davidj...or whoever... :yeah:

Wearing only one watch a week... I usually only wear my 1665 SD, but this past week the Daytona frankenstein has claimed ownership! :lol:

Speaking of watch box... Did you get your Scattola yet?

Not yet unfortunatly having trouble communicating with the Miss the Dealer that doesn't speak english and that provided me uncomplete bank infos that prevented my banker to make the transfer as soon as I would have liked too...but the deal is about to be sorted I hope because I officially can't wait!!!

BTW I almost pulled the trigger on a zenith class sport EP400 that would have perfectly be at home on this scatola, but I'm more and more enclined to get a upper grade EP open so I passed and perhaps made a mistake for $1600

Show my pics of that 16520, you rich man :lol: I can understand the 1665 did not get much wrist time !!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

As far as I'm concerned, elegant watch design peaked in the 60s and 70s. Everything since has been geegaw-laden sports stuff with more design laundry hanging off them than I care for. Even the older sports watch designs seem cleaner than the modern ones. I would love to see some nice reps of vintage stuff. Until then, I continue to add the odd genuine 70s piece to my collection. I hope not too many others discover just how reasonably priced some of them are, and not too old to acquire that gawdawful "patina" that for some unknown reason increases value and in most cases is no more than careless use and a lack of maintenance. You can keep that beat up look.

I'd give my kidney for a GOOD rep Omega Ploprof 600! Ok, maybe not my kidney, just a lobe of liver.

I'd give a kidney for a Ploprof and SM300.

PLEASE SOMEONE ATLEAST MAKE THE SM300!! PLEASE.

I've been dying for years...there are a few "Homage" pieces (i.e. Eddie Platt's Precista 300) out there from other companies. I've thought about Frankening one of them with an Omega dial. I wonder if it would work?