When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to pronounce submariner :)

radiohead101

Guest carlsbadrolex
Depends on what you are talking about. :)

Use the first one to refer to someone who is deployed on a submarine.

Use the second one to refer to the watch made by Rolex.

DING DING DING we have a winner!

I have been corrected on more than one occasion by a tin can jockey. They dont take kindly to being called watches! And interestingly enough, the one time I spent 3 days on a sub... I dont recall a single person wearing a watch.

I have been corrected on more than one occasion by a tin can jockey. They dont take kindly to being called watches! And interestingly enough, the one time I spent 3 days on a sub... I dont recall a single person wearing a watch.

Ill take a stab at that one, carlsbad, in good fun.

The Rolex Sub has nothing to do with submarines.

Now, try to keep up; I did get a 99% on the national grammar CLEP test in highschool. I don't know the history or etiology of the name, but here's a guess. I'm gonna say that 'Sub' means under, and the 'Marine' means water, and the 'er' means 'one who' or 'that which' 'is or does' whatever action the suffix is modifying. In this case the root word means 'underwater,' so the suffix '-er' implies 'one who or that which goes or is underwater.' In this case it's a watch, so I'm assuming that the name Submariner means a watch that goes underwater. Is that a stretch?

Hence, this watch has nothing to do with submarines, and there's no reason a 'submarine -er', meaning 'one who is on a submarine,' should feel the need to sport one.

Plus, why would rolex spend all that time trying to figure out the helium valve for guys on a pressurized submarine......

:D

oh yeah, and Id still rather be called a watch incorrectly than other ambiguous designation, sea-men.

I did get a 99% on the national grammar CLEP test in highschool. I don't know the history or etiology of the name, but here's a guess.

Then you'd know that etiology is the 'cause of disease or disorder, used almost exclusively in a medical context. I'm sure you were reaching for etymology... :p

FWIW, you're correct in assuming that its etymology is the same as that of a "tin can jockey"...

Then you'd know that etiology is the 'cause of disease or disorder, used almost exclusively in a medical context. I'm sure you were reaching for etymology... :p

FWIW, you're correct in assuming that its etymology is the same as that of a "tin can jockey"...

wow... I knew that. I have work on the brain; need sleep......