When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Strap frustration .. any advice

Chronus

Strap changes with Pams are so easy and quick... people take them for granted.

I've been trying to change a strap on another brand and it has taken an hour of frustration, lots of swearing, and lack of sleep, and still it is only half done. Trying to re-attach spring bars that are close to the watch case make it so difficult. An exercise in futility. I gave up.

Any tips on how to attach straps quickly and easily to most watch brands, eg Franck Muller, Omega etc, if the band is the full width of the lugs and there is no "hole" to work with a spring bar tool ?

I'm gonna go to bed now and try and get a couple hours sleep before work :cry1:

PS.

I've had this problem with genuine watches too... try putting the rubber strap onto a Doxa... what a b!tch ! I haven't taken it off the rubber...can't bear to go through all that gnashing of teeth and frustration!

Sorry for the language... it is so frustrating!

If you're talking about a "strap" I usually try to bunch it up a bit to give me some room to work with. Bracelets can be a PITA sometimes. I usually use a small screwdriver (i.e. really small) to "ramp" the end of the springbar in. HTH.

*edit* Rubber's always a PITA

Sorry for the language... it is so frustrating!

You should've heard me when I was installing the PAM bracelet! One literally gets sweat pouring down one's brow with certain brands.

I think Narikaa had a special tool which helped with these kind of changes, but equally, it could've been for link removal. But perhaps he might know of an implement to help you out.

Good luck!

The main thing which comes to my mind is, ( this is not a stupid thought ),

Are you guys attempting strap/bracelet changes with the correct ( good quality ) tools ?

(I don`t mean any old small bloody screwdriver, lying around. )

When I say good quality, I mean a good HARDENED and TEMPERED spring bar removal tool, with good knurling

on the handle to prevent slippage, and a SHARP vee in the working end.

Anyone who tries removing springbars with elcheapo, $hit tools has got too much time on their hands,

and is really going to stuff things up . ( not to mention the frustration and temper ).

Since hardly anyone mentions GOOD QUALITY TOOLS, thought I would ask.

The main thing which comes to my mind is, ( this is not a stupid thought ),

Are you guys attempting strap/bracelet changes with the correct ( good quality ) tools ?

(I don`t mean any old small bloody screwdriver, lying around. )

When I say good quality, I mean a good HARDENED and TEMPERED spring bar removal tool, with good knurling

on the handle to prevent slippage, and a SHARP vee in the working end.

Anyone who tries removing springbars with elcheapo, $hit tools has got too much time on their hands,

and is really going to stuff things up . ( not to mention the frustration and temper ).

Since hardly anyone mentions GOOD QUALITY TOOLS, thought I would ask.

I was using the doxa strap removal tool, so no problems there removing the bracelet.

The problem is getting the spring bar (with strap) to sit in the hole as it's quite close to the watch.

Sounds to me if this is a strap/watch incompatibility.

If the spring bar holes are very close to the watch case , it is going to need a fair bit of pressure

to push the spring bar end in ( one end allready being inserted ) and with not much clearance between

the width of the strap and the lug , this is allways difficult with a strap as opposed to a bracelet.

A SMALL bend in the springbar could aid in the insersion of the other end.

Have tried to help with what I can, ........... please forgive the following,........... it is not intended to mock or insult.

Extreme care should be taken when using THESE tools, or the following result can happen.

cold_chisel.jpg

That ain`t ICE on the crystal guys.

IMG_0117.jpg

"The main thing which comes to my mind is, ( this is not a stupid thought ), Are you guys attempting strap/bracelet changes with the correct ( good quality ) tools ? (I don`t mean any old small bloody screwdriver, lying around. ).....blah, blah, blah, squeek, squeek, squawk."

OH yes, good point. Thank you for clarifying.. the proper tools are essential.. I use a set similar to this one, maybe a little larger, since I have larger watches, but always (with EXTREME care):

cold_chisel.jpg

You should've heard me when I was installing the PAM bracelet! One literally gets sweat pouring down one's brow with certain brands.

I think Narikaa had a special tool which helped with these kind of changes, but equally, it could've been for link removal. But perhaps he might know of an implement to help you out.

Good luck!

Would that mean that bracelets are really not done for PAMs ? (and vice-versa)

:sorry:

I have a Ernst Benz that I need to get prepared to do strap/bracelet changes. I usually start with some meditation, then stretching and finally gear up with some sweat bands and verbal chanting. Still takes me hours to get it done. Like most of you guys, I just stick with one bracelet and not think about changes.