When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

what do you do for a living?

blade007

Hi everyone....I'm an investment manager/financial planner for a large investment firm. I manage money for large endowments and foundations. I deal mostly with investment boards. It always surprises me that many of these big CEO types are wearing a cheap quartz watch (sometimes even digital) and not something more unique.

I run money at the big, mean US investment bank that was just 'bailed out' recently.

To address my two most frequent questions as of late: No, I did not sell your mortgage to China...And no, I do not contribute to high oil prices (at least not directly...)

Our team manages a global investment fund; I am portfolio manager/trader responsible for our currency and interest rate exposures.

Wow!! And you still have a job with the new landlord!! Good luck and stop trading up them barrels!!

After a 10 year stint in the military I went back to school for my masters in business. Yeah, I felt I needed more skills than killing people. ;) Currently I work in the institutional/retial side of the investment banking industry. Boring really as they're not too keen on letting me blow things up now and then. :D

You're the new and improved jetmid. :D Post more pics of you in the "office", those are always awesome.

i was thinking the same thing!

- fyi, having flown private, its the only way to go - if a genie in a bottle asked me for 1 wish - i'd ask for a G5, with a pilot and unlimited fuel ! :)

now that we have a Forum pilot - i say we start planning a real GTG - jetzeus, your boss actually keep track of the gas bill? :)

FYI - Phoband = International man of mystery

Great to know who is doing what wearing those lovely watches...

I'm a TV series director (mostly programs for people ages 15 - 30) made a film a few years ago - starting a new one soon (yes, there will be at least one watch close up in it!)

Sounds awesome, might I have seen any of your projects here in the UK? (maybe on satelite?) I studied film-making at college, never took it further, but am still interested in the 'behind the scenes' aspects of the industry :)

A lot of diversity! ..where are all gold-rolex-wearing used car salesmen? ;)

I am a sailor.

I'm a ship's engineer on a fishing vessel, it's a 250 ft purse seiner/trawler plying its trade in and around the north sea.

Forget all your visions of dirty grease monkeys and soot angels.. I sit in a well lit control room with my feet up, surfing the web and looking at a few monitors.

It can get dirty (usually does), but it's very well paid and I love the ocean. :)

A thread with a few pics from my job:

Pics from the sea

Oh.. and I am trying to get a small business going when I am at home. :)

I'm a senior key account manager for the biggest Electronics firm in the Netherlands.

I didn't sell a single "light bulb " for 5 months now recovering from some health issues.

Hope to start working again after the summer holidays.

Carpe Diem

Tool & Die maker, and maybe someday I will teach this trade.

When I was a young cadet in military school there was an older gentleman by the name of George Watson who ran our "shop" classes. He was a tool and die maker and that man could literally make anything from a wrench to a sound suppressor for any caliber firearm. He was an old WWII veteran who worked on artillery pieces. He told us that his was a dying art. I have not ever met a tool and die maker since then. Wow! You have to pass that down. :)

He told us that his was a dying art. I have not ever met a tool and die maker since then. Wow! You have to pass that down. :)

It certainly is a dying art.

In Australia, the federal government has neglected for over 15 years to secure manufacturing apprenticships.

The outcome now , very little home manufacture and a major shortage of skilled labour.

The result , go have it made in China. Pass it down, no, pass it over.

Toolmakers worldwide, have never been in a protected industry and paid what they are worth.