When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 3135 Movement Copy?

indyberetta

• 2 years later...
On 07/05/2008 at 9:23 PM, By-Tor said:

Interesting theory. But I think in reality there are one, two or three factories in China who have monopoly on the Rolex reps, and they're simply not capable of doing very good job. Only one of them (the "Noob" factory... or whatever it's called) can make good replicas. Rest of the Chinese Rolex reps (from other factories) are simply crap.

This is just a guess of course, but to me the "monopoly theory" (mafia controlling the market, or whatever...) sounds much more likely than any kind of "agreement with Rolex". I think it was Pugwash who originally posted that one.

For example the factory that replicated TAG Link and Aquaracer was able to make almost perfect job. Both of those watches are much more complicated (design wise) than any Rolex ever produced. Lots of other examples too (BCE, SFSO, etc.)

can you you send me the links to the almost perfect tag watches you mention in your post?

On 5/9/2008 at 4:14 AM, stilty said:

Clone 3135 would mean they would have to make a new case to fit it in. All those rep cases are machined to fit the current ETA/ Asian movements. Seems like a lot of cost involved for really no gain.

Maybe you could use the clone movement in a gen case for a franken project, but even then, who would buy it? I can't see the quality being that great. Better to go with a Swiss ETa if you are using genuine parts.

What?   Only if they are thinking of selling whole watches.    If a factory made a 3135 movement replica that could interchange gen. parts, they would sell crap loads of movements.

8 hours ago, RickFlorida said:

What?   Only if they are thinking of selling whole watches.    If a factory made a 3135 movement replica that could interchange gen. parts, they would sell crap loads of movements.

That would be the Yuki movement wouldn't it? I don't know how many they have sold, but as it is out of stock again, probably more than they expected.

On 1/27/2017 at 7:30 PM, Sogeha said:

That would be the Yuki movement wouldn't it? I don't know how many they have sold, but as it is out of stock again, probably more than they expected.

?

I thought even the Yuki 3135 movement is not 100% compatible or interchangeable with genuine 3135 parts.   Am I wrong?

On the Yuki website the current 3135 clone price is $380 and that is really not too bad if you are comparing it to a genuine 3135 for a project that is not going to be 100% genuine.  The two main catches with clone movements are always the same...questionable reliability and no parts.  Because of this you might need two movements, one to use in the project watch plus one for parts, and that bumps it up to $760 ($760 = 5 or 6 used swiss Etas).  If some genuine 3135 parts will work that is good but it will not take long to eat a few hundred $$ when buying genuine parts. 

For instance...I have 2 or 3 'like new' 162xx cases from 20+ years ago when there was a cottage industry making replica solid 18K Prez and DJ with genuine movements and the leftover cases were being sold at watch shows (high gold prices soon killed this little 'industry').  If I wanted to make up a steel 'DJ' with genuine case, dial, hands, crown etc I could go with a Yuki 3135 clone, but I would not do that.  I would go with a replica 162xx case/bezel/dial/sapphire crystal with genuine crown, genspec tube, and swiss Eta.  Why?  Because I figure the swiss Eta would be more reliable than a Yuki 3135 clone (with cheaper parts) and the replica 162xx case would be close to as good as genuine with high grade gaskets/bezel/crystal.  Guesstimate:  complete genuine case + Yuki 3135 + genuine dial + genuine crown + Eta DJ type hands/gaskets = around $1000 (no bracelet).  Same watch with complete replica case and swiss Eta = around $450 and still have the genuine case (a 162xx case in fine condition same as mine will go for $500+ because so many have rotted out by now and RWC probably wants $2k for one (plus their mandatory $1000 tune-up).

My guess is the Yuki type 3135 clones are about $200 each from the factory...not bad but you may have to buy 50 or 100.  Here are the catches:  1...How to assure safe delivery...or assure delivery at all?  2...They will probably send some defective movements/customer returns mixed in with the order.  3...What about parts?  (parts = SOS, there ain't none)  I learned the hard way about defective watches, store returns etc mixed in with new watch/movement orders from being associated with a watch store for nine years...if a customer returns a doa $20 fashion watch and you send it back for credit, do not be surprised when it comes back to you (still doa) in the next order.  How could I tell?  I marked them with a carbide graver before sending them back.  Many cheapo fashion watches have a 10% or higher failure rate...'failure rate' = run for 6 months.  China clone movements are probably about the same.

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2008 at 11:09 PM, Logan said:

Don't forget the Rolex movement has a free sprung balance ( I think I have that description right), and is regulated by adjusting tiny threaded weights inside the balance wheel. Its a lot more complex to make and get working right than an ETA type

Yes you have that right and add to that a Parachrom Blu hairspring with a breguet overcoil, I don't think replicating that will happen any time soon.....

• Like 1

Correct, but we must point out that it seems the Yuki 3135 is out of stock.   Does whoever who actually builds the Yuki 3135 movement sell it to someone else?   We call it the Yuki movement but doesn't Yuki even say it comes from a small factory somewhere?   You would think they would be cranking them out to make money.