When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 3135 Movement Copy?

indyberetta

I was talking with one of my friends the other day about a clone of the Gen Rolex movement. He said that one of his relatives in China works as a watchsmith in China. His relative had mentioned about 6 months ago that one replica "factory" was working on a clone of the 3135 Rolex movement. He said that movements had been constructed, but they were having problems regulating the time and were not ready for production.

Has anyone heard of this activity? I don't doubt it with the ETA movements being phased out. I am surprised it has taken this long to do this.

Don't forget the Rolex movement has a free sprung balance ( I think I have that description right), and is regulated by adjusting tiny threaded weights inside the balance wheel. Its a lot more complex to make and get working right than an ETA type

I wouldn't look for a movement clone any time soon. What would be the purpose? The nuts like us who would salivate over an accurate 3135 movement replication and would pay top dollar for one are pretty few and far between. The vast majority of sales in the replica watch market is at the low end with Asian 21Js being the primary mover behind closed casebacks. Decorated rotors, blue screws and Geneva wave and cloud patterns on Asian 7750s are as close as we are going to get to accurate movement replication.

Besides, I think Rolex SA would get pretty ticked at an in house movement copy.

Yes pie in the sky I think look at the last offering from them with the Ebel BTR copied from a live sample and they couldn't get the rotor right, They would probably rep it perfectly and spell Rolex with an A or something. They seem incapable of repping anything perfectly so a complex movement seems highly unlikely.

Guest carlsbadrolex

My opinion is one of conspiracy theory... I think that Rolex has made an agreement with China who has in turn made an agreement with the manufacturers. The agreement simply states that they cannot make a PERFECT replica EVER. The stupid little [censored] that we deal with are examples... wrong CG shape, mis-spelled engraving, slightly wrong date font, etc.

Because of this agreement, and eta 2836-2 with the Rolex logo on it is as close as we will ever see. HELL, I was shocked to see a nickel movement with cut-outs on the rotor and fairly accurate engraving. THAT was only available for a very short time.

As long as these manufacturers comply, Rolex will not bring the wrath of God down upon them. And all these "slightly wrong" watches are simply advertising for Rolex.

Interesting theory. But I think in reality there are one, two or three factories in China who have monopoly on the Rolex reps, and they're simply not capable of doing very good job. Only one of them (the "Noob" factory... or whatever it's called) can make good replicas. Rest of the Chinese Rolex reps (from other factories) are simply crap.

This is just a guess of course, but to me the "monopoly theory" (mafia controlling the market, or whatever...) sounds much more likely than any kind of "agreement with Rolex". I think it was Pugwash who originally posted that one.

For example the factory that replicated TAG Link and Aquaracer was able to make almost perfect job. Both of those watches are much more complicated (design wise) than any Rolex ever produced. Lots of other examples too (BCE, SFSO, etc.)

• Like 1

Guest carlsbadrolex
Interesting theory. But I think in reality there are one, two or three factories in China who have monopoly on the Rolex reps, and they're simply not capable of doing very good job. Only one of them (the "Noob" factory... or whatever it's called) can make good replicas. Rest of the Chinese Rolex reps (from other factories) are simply crap.

This is just a guess of course, but to me the "monopoly theory" (mafia controlling the market, or whatever...) sounds much more likely than any kind of "agreement with Rolex". I think it was Pugwash who originally posted that one.

For example the factory that replicated TAG Link and Aquaracer was able to make almost perfect job. Both of those watches are much more complicated (design wise) than any Rolex ever produced. Lots of other examples too (BCE, SFSO, etc.)

It just so happens that today I received my newest Rolex replica... Although this IS NOT a clone of a 3135 or any other Rolex in house movement, its the most interestingly decorated 2836-2 that I have ever had... For some reason the pic shows a slight gold color, its not gold at all.

post-7311-1210192783_thumb.jpg

I have no idea how the 3135 look or how it works but I think that it would not come out very soon.

Like someone said that the cheaper Rolex and many replica watches come with a movement called "Asian21" or "Clone of XXXX" or "AXXXX"

If they really make a Clone3135,where it would be placed in the market.

It even too specific movement which may look strange in other watches.

Okay, if they really make it, what is the price? Will you buy Clone3135 or real ETA-XXXX ?

I am sure that I have no idea about how it work but I would totally go for real ETA-XXXX. Even it is Clone3135, it is Chinese movement. I want a guarantee by the name of ETA. (At least it is Swiss if they really put it in)

On the other hand, if I am a manufacture and I really want to capture marketing (but I do not think they do it), I would just make all the outside perfect and put whatever movement that has accurate beats into watches. No more research, no more investment on block or mold to manufacture new movements.

What do you think ?

Edited by yim156

Limited applications in our hobby, imho yes...

If every single part is repped 1:1 and interchangable with gen 3135. I can't see why would they care about the rep market applications??? 3135 has been around for 20 years, every year prefix changed and one million pieces produced. Asia alone, over 10 mil pieces of gen around... parts bin need parts...

I have no idea how the 3135 look or how it works but I think that it would not come out very soon.

Like someone said that the cheaper Rolex and many replica watches come with a movement called "Asian21" or "Clone of XXXX" or "AXXXX"

If they really make a Clone3135,where it would be placed in the market.

It even too specific movement which may look strange in other watches.

Okay, if they really make it, what is the price? Will you buy Clone3135 or real ETA-XXXX ?

I am sure that I have no idea about how it work but I would totally go for real ETA-XXXX. Even it is Clone3135, it is Chinese movement. I want a guarantee by the name of ETA. (At least it is Swiss if they really put it in)

On the other hand, if I am a manufacture and I really want to capture marketing (but I do not think they do it), I would just make all the outside perfect and put whatever movement that has accurate beats into watches. No more research, no more investment on block or mold to manufacture new movements.

What do you think ?

My opinion is one of conspiracy theory... I think that Rolex has made an agreement with China who has in turn made an agreement with the manufacturers. The agreement simply states that they cannot make a PERFECT replica EVER. The stupid little [censored] that we deal with are examples... wrong CG shape, mis-spelled engraving, slightly wrong date font, etc.

Because of this agreement, and eta 2836-2 with the Rolex logo on it is as close as we will ever see. HELL, I was shocked to see a nickel movement with cut-outs on the rotor and fairly accurate engraving. THAT was only available for a very short time.

As long as these manufacturers comply, Rolex will not bring the wrath of God down upon them. And all these "slightly wrong" watches are simply advertising for Rolex.

I fully agree with you Carl.

It's the best explanation so far for the differences.

I can't believe the CN manufacturers are unable to reproduce 1:1. They surely are.

By the way, here is my 3135 from a 16600

My16600_800_53.jpg

My16600_800_54.jpg

quote =

It just so happens that today I received my newest Rolex replica... Although this IS NOT a clone of a 3135 or any other Rolex in house movement, its the most interestingly decorated 2836-2 that I have ever had... For some reason the pic shows a slight gold color, its not gold at all.

/quote

That movement is exactly like the eta clone I had that the rotor fell off of. I am sure eta made movements with similar decoration.

For example:

http://www.mywatchmaker.net/tgpilot.htm

But mine was a clone, no doubt about it.

Assuming your movement is Swiss made, the rolex style rotor was made in Chna or somewhere and put on the movement.

Since there are at least two companies in China making eta 2824/2836 clones (Sea-Gull and Hangzhou), maybe the clone made by Hangzhou has parts that will interchange with eta...maybe The Zigmeister had a Hangzhou, not a Sea-Gull and parts were interchangable with eta.

This Sea-Gull eta clone review says that a lot of parts will not interchange:

http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f...p;sk=t&sd=a

...and to make things more interesting, here is a 26 jewel eta clone:

http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44383

I would really like to know more about the clones, maybe someone can find out.

As for making a rolex 3135 clone...I doubt it would be very hard and they could use a flat hairspring (in place of a Breguet hs) and still look like a 3135.

The rolex 3000 was just a 3035 with a flat hairspring and no date and they looked alike.

Limited applications in our hobby, imho yes...

If every single part is repped 1:1 and interchangable with gen 3135. I can't see why would they care about the rep market applications??? 3135 has been around for 20 years, every year prefix changed and one million pieces produced. Asia alone, over 10 mil pieces of gen around... parts bin need parts...

What I tried to mean was that manufacturer already have movement with 28.8 bph. They can just go with whatever they have.

The market I mention was about the price. Watch with Asian21 priced around $100++, ETA clone $150++, and Swiss ETA around $220++.

So if they make clone3135 and sell it at $180, $250, or $350(So call Ultimate Rolex :o ), will you buy it? It is Chinese movement anyway. Even they sell ETA version @ $270, I will go for it anyway.

If you say that over 10mil gen Rolex sold in Asia alone, it would be please to know about rep :lol: I guess, 100 million.

Clone 3135 would mean they would have to make a new case to fit it in. All those rep cases are machined to fit the current ETA/ Asian movements. Seems like a lot of cost involved for really no gain.

Maybe you could use the clone movement in a gen case for a franken project, but even then, who would buy it? I can't see the quality being that great. Better to go with a Swiss ETa if you are using genuine parts.

They still haven't copied the 16610 properly, even VISUALLY... so what would the gen movement copy change?

Yeah... we could have lots of new wokky Submariner reps that have the crown positioned correctly. :D

I say let them first replicate the watch properly and then start thinking about the movement.

I doubt that they will ever replicate the 16610 properly, with the new engraved rehaut version and Basel around the corner, I'm afraid that they will concentrate on newer model and it will end as happened with the 16710, a nice rep, but far from being "perfect"

After MBK and his engraved rehaut sub, probably CN will follow that way.

And more details mean more flaws.

Hope to have said bullsh** :)

BTW WM9 said he want to produce a 3135 copy sub, but first he wants to complete the YM, then the new Daytona.

So we're talking about 1,5-2 years.. will factory care of 16610 anymore, as much to build a 3135 proper case?

I doubt that they will ever replicate the 16610 properly, with the new engraved rehaut version and Basel around the corner, I'm afraid that they will concentrate on newer model and it will end as happened with the 16710, a nice rep, but far from being "perfect"

You probably mean 16600, the SSD?

16710 "Noob" is visually among the best Rolex reps ever, imho... if not the best (after mods of course).

But yeah, I agree 100%. The factories are now concentrating on the new (mostly ugly) Rolex models... and f*ck them up. Talked to Angus a bit and he says the old models aren't probably getting much attention anymore.

No, I mean 116610 Basel sub as well as Deep Sea

I know 16710 is a great rep, (I saw all of yours beauty) but I'm talking of "out of the box" rep.

And CN and Retro version are really nice, but not "super rep"

I remember a great 3d with trusty saying that until factory makes profit, they won't change their model.

The 3135 is too specific of an application like it was already said.... and i agree. I dont see these rep makers as sticklers for perfection. Theres prob only a few like the HBB maker for example that goes for perfection. They could easily clone a 16610 1:1 perfectly but they dont for some reason. Dont even try to tell me that they can clone Tourbillon movements for use in reps, but they cant make Submariner crown guards properly? LOL

dizz

I must be out of topic, because I'm not talking about clones but these movements from a trusted dealer are very interesting.

Especially this decorated 2836:

post-8918-1210426964_thumb.jpg

And this, unknown for me, 3035:

post-8918-1210426983_thumb.jpg

What's a swiss 3035?

Edited by antomarty

That is exactly what I suspect for years now. Lets face it - for Rolex anything that mentions their name, shows their product etc. is advertisement and in case of reps it is free advertisement. How many people see you with a Rolex (rep) not knowing its not real and then think - 'Well I think its time to buy myself a Rolex!'

Even news flashes about how many replicas they caught and destroyed are free advertisement. As far as Rolex goes there is no such thing as bad press.

So I have to totally agree with Carlsbads conspiracy theory - if the Chinese ever make a perfect Rolex copy there will be hell to pay, the wrath of god and everything.

• 5 years later...

Wow! OK. So there has been some progress! =)

Can I just clarify, does y3135 = Yuki3135? Is Yuki3135 asian too? I'm just going off this:

http://www.yukiwatch.com/catalog/item/7069112/9511391.htm

Also, are there any automatic movements which fit ETA hands but where the date wheel is held in place with 90deg screws?

Thanks!

• 5 months later...

From witch company did you buy this watch and what was the price?

SolidSwiss.cd claims to produce a clone movement any of you guys bought from them?