When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Thinking on building a TT franken Datejust

cib0rgman

I am done with my 1665 project which by the way turned outr really great thanks to The Zigmeister's wonderful job. Now I am thinking on building a TT datejust I love that look. I found this on ebay and I want some input from the experts here.

Any idea of how old is the case it does look real to me

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...A:IT&ih=001

thanks

I do not have alot of experience with yellow gold or tt cases online, so take my comments about the bracelet with a grain of salt.

The caseback & appearance of the gold looks a bit off to me. Engraving looks a bit large & underlying finish of the gold is not as smooth as I would like to see. Add to this the fact that all of the seller's previous sales are marked 'private', so you cannot see what he sold or if the buyers are legit. But, on the other hand, he is selling a number of other watches that appear to be gen, so it may be fine.

I am done with my 1665 project which by the way turned outr really great thanks to The Zigmeister's wonderful job. Now I am thinking on building a TT datejust I love that look. I found this on ebay and I want some input from the experts here.

Any idea of how old is the case it does look real to me

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...A:IT&ih=001

thanks

I'll agree that the type inside the case looks large. But, most important to recognize that this is a case for the 34mm DATE model, with 19mm lugs, not the more popular 35-36mm DATEJUST. So, if your wrist is small, ok. This case uses different movement holder ring than Datejust. If you like the smaller size, I'd look for a gen tt Tudor, and simply redo the dial. There are several of these offered on the Bay.

It looks okay to me. Even the caseback markings are fine. I've got a couple 15200 cases and they look the same. The only thing that looks off to me is the end links. The seller would have to show a better picture, and also, they are for a case with no lug holes, so they do not match the case.

Looks like it could be a pretty straight forward build, all you need is a dial, a set of hands, and a genuine champagne 3135 disc. I think Gary on ebay has a gen 3135 disc available, and you could get hands from him as well. The ideal movement in order to use a genuine disc is the ETA 2892-A2. I've got a movement holder that would work for you as well.

The price just seems a bit high for a feasible project though. After you pick up a dial, movement, holder, date disc, crown and hands, you are looking at another $400 to $500 depending on what you can pick up a nice dial for. But, if built properly, you would have yourself a nice TT.