When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I spotted a fake BCE in a respected watch shop!

Rolexman

So here I am, shopping with my girlfriend in a well known Dutch watch city. There are a lot of watch shops which I always visit (almost structured LOL). Some are well known ADs and others are shops specialized in second hand watches. All of them, including the second hand shops, are very reputable......

So when arriving at the last shop and after drooling over some IWCs in the window I saw a black TT BCE.

The first thing I noticed was the crooked date, then the Asian font... hmm... this can't be fake I said to myself. I also noticed the very bad fitting of the Pilot bracelet. Could this be because the bracelet is gen and case is rep? Then I noticed the missing 'tick' at 10! WTF!? Also the light yellow subdials (instead of darker 18K gold).

So I'm 99% sure this is a rep and then it's decision time! What do you do? Do you walk in? What do you say?

These are the 3 pictures from the website:

e1tg1.jpg

e2cw4.jpg

e3sd4.jpg

Edited by Rolexman

Well as you might have guessed I didn't go in. I send them an Email explaining why I thought it was a rep (font, missing tick etc.). Today I got an Email back thanking me for the heads up and that they are going to thoroughly investigate the watch. They also wrote that I will be informed of the outcome....

Edited by Rolexman

careful with the missing tick problem.. as some of the new batch breitling (especially the rhodium dial) ones dont have these ticks.. u cant just assume that it's fake tho.. but as to the datewheel.. thats a forsure tell because breitling has always used 1 datewheel.. never used a7750 type before or in any of their other models.. so u can be sure about that..

Please keep us informed!!!! I really want to know what the AD will say...

I assume this is not at an AD but at one of the secondhand shops he mentioned above. I can't imagine what kind of a [censored] storm an AD would get into with Breitling if they were busted selling fakes. I would imagine (and hope) that this dealer was ignorant of what he had and someone fooled him on a trade in. But I could be wrong.

I assume this is not at an AD but at one of the secondhand shops he mentioned above. I can't imagine what kind of a [censored] storm an AD would get into with Breitling if they were busted selling fakes. I would imagine (and hope) that this dealer was ignorant of what he had and someone fooled him on a trade in. But I could be wrong.

Indeed, a second hand shop. Not an AD.

I just got a reply back stating I was correct and the watch was indeed a fake. They thanked me for the heads up and said they retracted the watch from all the different selling sites. They will take legal actions against the initial seller.

I also pointed them at the book 'Replica Watch Report'. They said it was a good tip and they will buy it ASAP.

I have a replica watch report book and it definitely has good tips but still certain myths on that book. It's also quite outdated based on today's rep standard. It didn't touch so much issue on Asian 7750 hi beat, often times wrong datefont and missing fine adjuster.

I have a replica watch report book and it definitely has good tips but still certain myths on that book. It's also quite outdated based on today's rep standard. It didn't touch so much issue on Asian 7750 hi beat, often times wrong datefont and missing fine adjuster.

the website is updated regularly though

They will take legal actions against the initial seller.

I don't know the laws where you are, but I believe here in the states the store would be stuck. If I were the owner of that store I would be way too embarrased to take a guy to court for selling me a fake watch. This would certainly make any self respecting watch collector think twice about buying a watch from them if the store couldn't spot a fake within two seconds. If this gets out it could ruin their business.

Any court would tell them they bought the watch, they should know better and they aren't entitled to anything from the seller IMO.

As the author of the Replica Watch Report I appreciate the referral! I'm working currently on a new edition with a bunch of new and updated information. It's damn hard when new things keep cropping up I want to include (like the new ceramic Rolex). It's definitely a moving target...

Edited by audemarsdan

so they didnt know it was fake? there goes my theory of a floor/window display model that they wouldnt care if it went missing..much like those cell phones that dont work on display in stores...

i still think the store would get their money back in court, just cause its their business to know doesnt mean that someone can get away with defrauding them, id still bring it to court since an elementary law was violated, just cause youre ignorant doesnt mean someone should get away with taking advantage of you. plus it's harder to tell these days whats real and whats not... if someone with their franken project watch pawned it, and it had a genuine movement inside, it would be almost impossible to tell especially with all the mods these days...