When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review of Omega Planet Ocean 4th Generation

By-Tor

4gtitle.jpg

"Oh no, another Omega Planet Ocean review" I hear you cry. We have enough of these, don't we? But I have recently made reviews of all my new rep purchases and members have found them useful - so why this one should be the exception?

As soon as the 4th generation PO surfaced it has easily been the most popular replica watch among the members. And for good reason. Because of its overwhelming popularity and status I thought it deserves a "reference guide". I already wrote this guide a while back and just added pictures when my own 4th gen arrived.

Again I tried to link all essential reviews of this rep to one article, so you can consider this review a "PO addition" into my Omega Guide.

But let's quickly do the "basics" again: The biggest difference between the 45mm and 42mm models (plus the size and case of course) is the clasp. The 45mm version has the engraving "Seamaster PROFESSIONAL PLANET OCEAN" while the 42mm version only has engraving "Seamaster PLANET OCEAN". The 4th gen PO is a replica of the smaller version, and thus the clasp engraving is correct.

clasp_rwg-1.jpg

Another difference is the Omega logo placement on the dial. In 45mm version it should be further apart from the OMEGA text, and in 42mm version it's closer, which the rep tries to emulate. On the rep the logo is a bit too close. But I believe there are differencies between the individual watches. I've seen the logo actually go _over_ the Omega text in some members' watches, while it seems to be placed nicely in my watch.

dialdetail_trc.jpg

The luminous effect of the 4th Gen PO isn't as good as the gen (naturally), but it's still the best I've ever seen on any unmodified replica watch.

small_lume.jpg

I briefly owned the 3rd generation PO. It was an excellent replica watch. The lack of PLANET OCEAN engraving on the clasp and other flaws didn't bother me the slightest... but perhaps a bit "pale" orange bezel color and very dark datewheel font did. So I eventually traded it. Still, I can highly recommend it to anyone - as great deals of the 3rd gen can be found. There's absolutely no difference in quality, weight and feel.

I was without a PO for months because I only buy from EU dealers... and for some strange reason none of them were able to source this rep. But it was only a matter of time when I had this fun watch on my wrist again. I bought mine from a fellow member (Sevomd) and it was shipped to me from EU by Edge to avoid customs trouble (big thanks Edge, it's very much appreciated). This is the best and friendliest community I've ever been a member of.

box4g.jpg

The hands were excellent in the 3rd gen. They're a bit too small in the 4th version. If the hand length bothers you, you can always buy genuine hands and install them yourself.

Like I said, the weight and solid quality feel is there (just like in the 3rd version). Here's the traditional review wristshot:

IMG_1257.jpg

Planet Ocean 4th generation is a remarkable replica watch and I suspect it eventually becomes a RWG classic like MBW vintages and "Bond" Seamaster. Another "must have" watch for all hardcore rep nerds.

color1.jpg

• Like 1

@By-Thor...great post...something in here smells like a POM?!!! :lol:

Great thread By-Thor!

Do you confirm that Ar coating is worth the upgrade from 3rd gen?

It would be perfect if logo was just a bit higher.

Edited by ryaku

Uhmmm...too bad but i'm confused as many guys here state the opposite. :g:

In many pics AR looks evident but i'll never know if it's due to photographer skill.

Hmm...how can you tell if a watch has the AR coating or not? I thought only the genuine has AR coating (which gives the blue tint on the pictures). But now that you mentioned it...my PO dial looks raven black from all angles (and I don't recall the 3rd gen being like that). :blink:

PS: I get rid of the watch dial/crystal reflections with keeping a black/white plastic surface (depending on the watch dial color of course) in correct angle when I'm shooting the watch.

Hmm...how can you tell if a watch has the AR coating or not? I thought only the genuine has AR coating (which gives the blue tint on the pictures). But now that you mentioned it...my PO dial looks raven black from all angles (and I don't recall the 3rd gen being like that). :blink:

PS: I get rid of the watch dial/crystal reflections with keeping a black/white plastic surface (depending on the watch dial color of course) in correct angle when I'm shooting the watch.

Probabily 4th gen Po has just a slight AR coating. Does it have less reflections compared to other sapphire crystals?

I was sure pics were so good for your ability at photography and not for Ar coating. :)

The only time when I notice the faint AR coating is when I'm under the shower. When the crystal is covered with small drops and you turn the watch the right way into the light you will see a blue edge around the drops.....

Believe me. The AR coating on the 4th gen is almost the same as no AR coating....

Why dealing only with EU dealers? Did you have problems with customs?

And who else than Narikaa is based inthe UK?

Yes, unfortunately I've had problems with customs. Last summer my both my shipments from 2 different Asian dealers got stopped. I got my watches after hell of a trouble but I don't want to go through that anymore.

Narikaa, Precious Time and Homer are all UK-based.

Yes, unfortunately I've had problems with customs. Last summer my both my shipments from 2 different Asian dealers got stopped. I got my watches after hell of a trouble but I don't want to go through that anymore.

Narikaa, Precious Time and Homer are all UK-based.

Sorry for the problems of customs... also I have of it

Precious Time is improving his restocking.

I advise to ask and he will try to satisfy the questions.

Now also PT has in stock 45mm http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=7690

Other help to compare ... :help:

Genuine 42 mm :

79338-30778.jpg

79338-30779.jpg

79338-30780.jpg

79338-30781.jpg

Genuine 45 mm :

79338-30782.jpg

79338-30783.jpg

79338-30784.jpg

79338-30785.jpg

Edited by MAHLER

• 1 month later...

Updated the review with a lume shot.

Just wanted to share these two lume pics I took. Straight out of the camera. Best lume on any unmodified replica watch I've seen. The watch spent 20-30 seconds under a lamp before taking the pics though. ;)

98872-26681.jpg

98872-26682.jpg

• 4 months later...

I just got my 4th gen PO too, and the stupid AR coating has a scratch in it, and it seems like it's on the inside of the crystal. DOH!

I know it's a replica, but since it was such a frickin' expensive replica I'm annoyed. And the clasp doesn't close correctly, I basically have to force it closed with my thumb and a finger on opposite sides, so it's not very easy to actually put on-I haven't even resized the bracelet yet so I can't imagine how much harder it'll be once I get it resized.

I know it's a rep and all but since it cost almost double what I paid for my Orange Monster I guess I expected the workmanship to be pretty good. =(

I just got my 4th gen PO too, and the stupid AR coating has a scratch in it, and it seems like it's on the inside of the crystal. DOH!

I know it's a replica, but since it was such a frickin' expensive replica I'm annoyed. And the clasp doesn't close correctly, I basically have to force it closed with my thumb and a finger on opposite sides, so it's not very easy to actually put on-I haven't even resized the bracelet yet so I can't imagine how much harder it'll be once I get it resized.

I know it's a rep and all but since it cost almost double what I paid for my Orange Monster I guess I expected the workmanship to be pretty good. =(

The looseness of the clasp is a known issue, but it should close without problems. I've never heard of the AR on the inside having scratches. Can you post a pic of it?

If these defects are serious I suggest you talk to the dealer and at least ask him to send a replacement bracelet.

• 1 month later...
The looseness of the clasp is a known issue, but it should close without problems. I've never heard of the AR on the inside having scratches. Can you post a pic of it?

If these defects are serious I suggest you talk to the dealer and at least ask him to send a replacement bracelet.

I've had a lot of personal problems I had to deal with since December, so I've been really busy.

I finally got around to taking a picture of the AR scratch though, it's REALLY hard to photograph with a camera but I think I got a pic where you can kinda see it (it's much easier to see in person though).

I haven't even worn the watch though, and when I went to get it to photograph today I noticed one of the dial markers had already fallen off!!! Without me wearing it! (I haven't even gotten the bracelet resized because I was waiting on getting everything else fixed).

202008-1452.jpg

I e-mailed andrew at his gmail address so I guess we'll see if he'll do anything. It's been 3 months but seriously, I haven't even worn it once :(

Edited by techd

Just wondering, i noticed differences between several photos of the second hand of the PO 4th gen.

Is it suppose to be light orange, or reddish orange ( like the numbers )? and which one is the accurate one?

Omega website doesn't help with minimal photo gallery.

Cheers,

SJ

here's comparison of the gen vs rep PO, where gen is more Reddish orange while rep is just lighter orange.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=19919&hl=

btw: 3 months? waiting that long will make a weaker case to andrew :( hope things sort out.

• 6 months later...

You should contact your dealer about the flaws and exchange it for another piece. These reps can vary a lot from one to the next.